Questions about spraying for weeds

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
40 sounds a little light. You could make it a little hotter and move faster.

I would personally drop the psi. You don't want to atomize the mixture.

I run right around 25 psi, 60 ounces to 40 gallons and move about 4mph. IIRC, I have 5 nozzles on my boom. I have the boom set as low as possible that sill allows the slightest bit of overlap between the nozzles and my 2 main goals are no drift, and complete wetting.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
ok so tell a newb (ME) what is in the 24d?

vs say the 41% Glyphos ive been using?

whats the difference?
24D is for broadleaf weeds, want kill grass

41% Glypo kills most anything, long as it is not in a dormant state.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Mentioned earlier but mowing frequently is key to weed control. I mow at 1 1/2" in my yard and 2" in other areas, have about 3 acres total.

I use the 24D at 1.5 oz to the gallon and only spray couple of days after a rain, spray entire area once a year in spring. Then just spot spray as need with back pack sprayer.

It will take some time to reclaim your property. Mow low and frequent.

A soil test and application of lime and fertilizer if needed will help your grass take off weeds to so try and get a handle on the weeds before doing this. Most grass does not need much fertilizer but a soil test will indicate best.

Good luck.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Get one of these: http://www.gemplers.com/product/127527/Field-Sprayer-Calibrator

And follow the directions on it to find out how many gallons you'll use per acre at the speed and PSI you want to run, and maybe adjust the speed and PSI to fine tune it if you'd like. Then you know to mix your 2 qts per acre to that many gallons.

Always flush the system after spraying and fill the pump with RV antifreeze or oil when storing.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Don't overthink this. In the manual I used was a general % concentration to spray for general weed control. My 2 gal/ minute 16gallon sprayer has both a fan-pattern spray boom which gives me a 12 ft swath spray or I can stop and switch to a spray wand. I mix up a tank and take off with the swath in the morning when there is dew on the ground. Makes it easy to see where you've been and aids the spray in adhering to the foilage. As I get close to delicate areas I stop and go to the wand.

mleve

Jan 11, 2017
Omro, Wi, United States
It looks like you are getting a lot of great advice. I agree with the previous poster who recommended finding out what kind of weeds you have. 24d will work for most weeds, especially if you get them young, like right now.

However, if you have grabgrass, like I do, You should try this product called Tenacity. I have a link below. It is expensive, but works as a pre-emergent and post-emergent for crabgrass.

https://www.amazon.com/Tenacity-Turf-Herbicide-8-ounces/dp/B005DUTNF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492734257&sr=8-1&keywords=tenacity

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
Trimec 993 or 2-4D are great on broadleaf weeds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have had very good luck using Trimec 993 to get any Canadian thistles, clover and broad leaf weeds out of my lawn and pasture. Leaves the grass alone but kills the weeds.

TexasBoy

Equipment
Kubota M7060 HDC12 & L4600DT
Dec 11, 2013
Central Texas
GrazonNext or CimmaronMax depending on what broadleaf species Im targeting and Pastora for johnsongrass.