Questions about installing a Summit 3rd Function Kit

57plymouth

Equipment
Kubota L3901 with FEL, 1955 Ford 900 Row Crop
Oct 26, 2020
Blythewood, SC
I'm putting a Summit 3rd function kit on my L3901. The loader is an Ansung and not a Kubota so that is a complication. I have a few questions:

1: The hoses from Summit have O rings. Should I use teflon tape as well or just the O ring?

2: Does the valve supplied by Summit have to be installed vertical as they show in the directions? I have to modify the mount to make it work and if I can mount it at an angle it would simplify the install.

3: As I understand the directions; one hose from the hydraulic pump to the 3rd function valve, then to the valve on the FEL, then the return is from the FEL to the hydraulic pump. Essentially this goes in line before the control valve on the FEL, right?

4: Very stupid question here... is the red rubber cap supposed to go on the pressure or the return? I don't know which side is supposed to be red or black. Just in case it is serviced by someone else.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm putting a Summit 3rd function kit on my L3901. The loader is an Ansung and not a Kubota so that is a complication. I have a few questions:

1: The hoses from Summit have O rings. Should I use teflon tape as well or just the O ring?

2: Does the valve supplied by Summit have to be installed vertical as they show in the directions? I have to modify the mount to make it work and if I can mount it at an angle it would simplify the install.

3: As I understand the directions; one hose from the hydraulic pump to the 3rd function valve, then to the valve on the FEL, then the return is from the FEL to the hydraulic pump. Essentially this goes in line before the control valve on the FEL, right?

4: Very stupid question here... is the red rubber cap supposed to go on the pressure or the return? I don't know which side is supposed to be red or black. Just in case it is serviced by someone else.
  1. No teflon tape or any other sealant on o-ring or JIC fittings.
  2. The valve can be installed in any orientation
  3. Third function valve is normally installed after the loader valve power beyond so it will work in conjunction with the loader valve. If you install it before the loader valve it will prevent the loader valve from operating whenever the third function is in use.
  4. Red is normally used to indicate pressure out but on a diractional control valve the ports are bidirectional so it does not matter.
Dan

57plymouth

Equipment
Oct 26, 2020
Blythewood, SC
Thank you for your reply. However I'm more confused. The line from the tractor goes to the 3rd function and then to the loader? That seems to be the way that Summit's instructions indicate.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thank you for your reply. However I'm more confused. The line from the tractor goes to the 3rd function and then to the loader? That seems to be the way that Summit's instructions indicate.alve
That would be backwards of the Summit instructions I have seen. Your 3901 has an outlet block with three ports under the right floor board.
  1. The top right is pump out to loader valve.
  2. The top left is power beyond from loader valve back to tractor. That is where the 3rd function is installed. Disconnect that hose from the tractor outlet block and connect it to IN on Summit valve. When disconnecting the hose do not remove the adapter fitting in the aluminum block. Unscrew the hose swivel the connects the hose to the adapter.
  3. Connect Tank on Summit valve to the top left port on the outlet block where you removed the hose.

Dan

57plymouth

Equipment
Oct 26, 2020
Blythewood, SC
Thanks. I've got it. I was thinking that the pressure was from the tractor to the third function and not from the FEL to the third function. It seems I have the flow direction wrong in my head.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks. I've got it. I was thinking that the pressure was from the tractor to the third function and not from the FEL to the third function. It seems I have the flow direction wrong in my head.
Easy to do and I suspected as much.

Just FYI - after posting I realized the Summit valve does not have a power beyond port and uses the tank port for that function so it would not block if the valve was ahead of the loader. But the cylinder interaction between the third function and loader might not be the most desirable.

Dan

57plymouth

Equipment
Oct 26, 2020
Blythewood, SC
It took me most of the day yesterday, but I got this third function kit installed.

Let me start out by saying that the kit was NOT designed to work with my Ansung loader so I had to make one bracket and modify the other bracket to get it to fit. This is no fault of Summit whatsoever. The kit is sold as a kit for an L3901 with a Kubota brand loader.

However, the customer service at Summit as absolutely wretched. I called them twice Thursday and several times Friday and they finally decided to return my call around 4:00 Friday afternoon. Their answers to how to wire the system in were also not satisfactory.

The quality of the kit is excellent. The parts are well made and I had zero leak issues with the install.

The instructions are fine if you are familiar with hydraulic systems. I am not, so they were confusing. They also are printed in black and white, and they refer to colors in the diagrams. There are no colors in the diagrams, and the hoses on the tractor are not color coded. This was less than helpful.

The absolute worst part about this kit is the wiring. Summit clearly did not put any thought or effort into how to wire this kit into the tractor. The instructions do not indicate how they intend the wiring to be installed. Their customer support did not know how they intended it to be installed. Since this kit was supposedly designed for an L3901, I wrongly assumed that the wiring harness would be plug-and-play. To the contrary, Summit intends for the installer to use a "vampire" connector which makes a connection by crimping onto a wire and piercing the insulation. I do not use these connectors as they invariably cause connection issues or damage the wiring down the line. Summit customer support indicated that this is how other users have wired the kit, and it goes directly to the battery without passing through a keyed relay. I ended up routing the wiring along the engine (where I fear that it will overheat and melt) and installed an inline weatherproof fuse holder out of my supply of parts to connect directly to the battery. I would have assumed that the kit would have connected to the factory fuse block in some manner. Since the kit is not wired through a keyed source, it is live all of the time. I have real concerns as to the long term effect on the battery without a key interrupting this circuit. I feel that this is a temporary solution to get the machine up and running. It looks and feels slap-dash and I am going to investigate how to properly and safely add a keyed secondary fuse block to the machine for the third function and a possible light bar installation in the future.

For a kit that is marketed as a direct fit for this machine, there is clearly no consideration given to how to wire the product.

It does function correctly. It was not an easy install for me due to my lack of understanding of hydraulic system principles and assembly procedures and the poor instructions in the kit. This was however the most cost effective option for my application since the Ansung direct fit part is over $1100.