Question For Folks In The US

Shogun

Jan 1, 2011
Scotland
Hi All

I use my Kubota on building sites, as such I am required to have the following

ROPS which has to have a plate proving it is approved and tested, no home made ones,

a flashing beacon, this can not be fitted to ROPS by drilling only clamps etc,

PTO a guard over the pto and a cover to fit over it when not in use.

My loader needs to be inspected and checked and a certificate issued, each year

My tractor needs paper work to show its maintained and meets all UK health and safety rules and construction regs.

It needs to be taxed for road use and comply with rules for that.
The Tax disc is free.

The operator needs to have passed a basic health and safety test to work on site.

But also have had training in operating the tractor, if using the back hoe
an excavator ticket ,

So my question if I was working in the US what would the requirements be.

yours shogun

IC-Smoke

Equipment
B2400, ZD28, BX24
Dec 16, 2010
Pittsford, MI
I have seen vehicle license plates on some equipment on ebay... not sure why though :confused: Most of the time if youre a independant contractor you dont need any requirements (not 100% on this) but union or state/gov jobs Im sure you have to use a beacon light, reverse beeper, hardhat etc... just taking a stab in the dark on it though. Hopefully someone chimes in to verify.

Ian

NC Bota

Equipment
B7610, FEL, box blade
Jun 1, 2010
West Jefferson, NC, USA
A lot depends on the client you are working for. Smaller firms you can simply arrive on site and go to work. Other places you will have to demonstrate you are qualified to operate the equipment. A license saying you have taken a course is one method.
The same goes for safety devices on the equipment. Some places will require it, others don't.
Safety training is often site specific. I have safety training documentation I carry in my wallet for at least a dozen places (including Poland and Scotland)
No tag is needed as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Shogun

Jan 1, 2011
Scotland
Hi all

Thanks for replies as to licence plate on some tractors on E bay,

If working on a road verge mowing grass or snow clearing a foot path it

will most likely be classed as part of the highway that being the case highway rules apply,

then there is the issue of say moving about inside a business park going from building to building using the roads if public then police could do you for no licence, no insurance not complying with road laws eg licence plate etc.

Then we have the fuel issue farm use only red diesel or road use white diesel

get caught and the fines can be high, one company I know got caught

hauling tree bark on the road using farm diesel the fine £50,000 why so much its because you are fined what the goverment thinks its lost in fuel tax from you since you owned the tractor.

yours Shogun

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi All

I use my Kubota on building sites, as such I am required to have the following

ROPS which has to have a plate proving it is approved and tested, no home made ones,

a flashing beacon, this can not be fitted to ROPS by drilling only clamps etc,

PTO a guard over the pto and a cover to fit over it when not in use.

My loader needs to be inspected and checked and a certificate issued, each year

My tractor needs paper work to show its maintained and meets all UK health and safety rules and construction regs.

It needs to be taxed for road use and comply with rules for that.
The Tax disc is free.

The operator needs to have passed a basic health and safety test to work on site.

But also have had training in operating the tractor, if using the back hoe
an excavator ticket ,

So my question if I was working in the US what would the requirements be.

yours shogun
Hi, its like i have allways maintained, here in the UK, their is just too much " health & Safety ".
Why people cant just use a common sense approach is beyond me, it really is.

I have used so much varied plant equipment over the years from 1 ton mini excavators upto Ackerman H10's ,JCB3's etc, I perform Aboriculture services also.

I'm not saying that regulations are not a good and nessacary thing, but there are just way to many for just way to many silly things too.
just my view.;)
rob

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Hope you will consider a reply from Canada.......

We have our share of regulations here as well. Generally, workplace health and safety issues are a provincial matter, handled by a WCB type of bureaucracy. As a sample, here is the intro to the section on ROPS.

16.22 Rollover protective structures

(1) The following types of mobile equipment, weighing 700 kg (1 500 lbs) or more, must have rollover protective structures (ROPS):
(a) crawler tractors, loaders and skidders;
(b) wheel tractors, dozers, loaders and skidders;
(c) motor graders;
(d) self-propelled wheel scrapers;
(e) compactors/rollers;
(f) self-propelled rock drills moved by an on-board operator;
(g) wheeled trenchers manufactured after January 1, 1999;
(h) pipe layers or side boom tractors manufactured after January 1, 2000.
(2) The Board may require a ROPS to be installed on any mobile equipment if the design of the equipment or circumstances of use indicate the need.
(3) Mobile equipment listed in subsection (1) may be used without a ROPS if
(a) the equipment operates in a specific location where there is no significant hazard of rollover, and
(b) the surface in the area of operation is maintained free of ground irregularities which might cause a rollover.
Note: Where circumstances render compliance with the requirement for ROPS impracticable, alternative proposals designed to provide equivalent protection to workers may be submitted to the Board for consideration.

The link to our regulations is here...

http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publications/OHSRegulation/Regulation.asp

The regulations go on and on and on......

steve l

Equipment
2 m9000,9540 all cabgmd700 kuhn 605m vermeer,r23a vermeer rake,468 jd baler,
Dec 29, 2010
bullard,texas 75757
i know in texas if haul a tractor or any thing for that matter you have to either take off or cover up smv placard if going over thirty mph.we have never been pulled over for this but it is still a law they can enforce if they want to.if you are roading a piece of farm equipment on farm to market hiway you have the right of way because of what the hiway says farn to market road.another thing you have to have to have your trailer registered(farm trailer plate 6.30$ 30000lbs) but in daylight hours you dont have to lights on the trailer.stupid not to,but true.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The work place safety "pigs" aka OSHA have made more and more requirements as incidents and injuries occur. It is really GOVT trying to legislate against "stupid" trying to save idiots from themselves. Insurance companies don't want to pay claims and work places don't want liabilities so GOVT to the rescue in the form of OSHA. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Most of the equipment that I put into service where I work, in the Utilities industry, has to meet a ton of requirements too. No tags are required,(in the US a slow moving vehicle triagular sign is sufficient) but Fire extenguisher, ROPS, back up alarm/horn, strobes and all roadway lighting is still required, operator manual, records of machines maintenance and operators training are to be kept on file and hard hats are a variable too along with safety glasses.

This is for most machinery like tractors, crawlers and the like. For other machines like manlifts and bucket trucks there are other things that apply.

machine for job $20K
safety compliance $10K
OSHA telling you your not smart enough to stay alive operating the machine....... priceless.:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: