Question about control valve spring lubrication

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
This question is being posted as a main thread since the original thread about a BT600 boom would not swing left but would swing right has reached conclusion. That issue has been repaired. But, in the process, I have a question about the spring lubrication within the valves. As I disassembled the swing valve, I did see (in hindsight) what appeared to be oil. The valve was positioned horizontally, so when I took the cap off the bottom, there was some oil. When I saw it, I remembered wondering where this oil had come from since I have put some red indicator color into the hydraulic fluid. When I pulled the spool out, then I saw the red hydraulic oil.

So, after re-assembling the valve, I reported the success. PoTreeBoy mentioned that while I had the control valve off the tractor, why not take the caps off the others, cleaning them, then lubricating them. That would've been the thing to do but I didn't. THEN, I realized that the oil that I had originally seen may have been within that cap to keep the spring lubricated. I did not put any oil into the cap at the time.

The question is: do I need to put a small amount of oil into that cap? I've looked for the answer online but find nothing. I have the WSM and it does not give any information about oil into that cap. If no oil is required, I wonder what I saw?! Thanks for any ideas or input.

Tractor Gal

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
This question is being posted as a main thread since the original thread about a BT600 boom would not swing left but would swing right has reached conclusion. That issue has been repaired. But, in the process, I have a question about the spring lubrication within the valves. As I disassembled the swing valve, I did see (in hindsight) what appeared to be oil. The valve was positioned horizontally, so when I took the cap off the bottom, there was some oil. When I saw it, I remembered wondering where this oil had come from since I have put some red indicator color into the hydraulic fluid. When I pulled the spool out, then I saw the red hydraulic oil.

So, after re-assembling the valve, I reported the success. PoTreeBoy mentioned that while I had the control valve off the tractor, why not take the caps off the others, cleaning them, then lubricating them. That would've been the thing to do but I didn't. THEN, I realized that the oil that I had originally seen may have been within that cap to keep the spring lubricated. I did not put any oil into the cap at the time.

The question is: do I need to put a small amount of oil into that cap? I've looked for the answer online but find nothing. I have the WSM and it does not give any information about oil into that cap. If no oil is required, I wonder what I saw?! Thanks for any ideas or input.

Tractor Gal
No. The mechanisms are usually lunricated with a light coating of oil or grease. If its a plain spring center spool it really does not need any lubrication.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's not that it's needs oil to work, it's to keep it from rusting.
I see a light film of oil, on the spring and the inside of the casing as a form of 'antirusting' prevention. A LIGHT film of say 'Rustcheck', will slow down from rust forming. yes, it's an 'enclosed' area but there's water in the air in there. Over time, the original film of oil will 'drip' (ok...migrate..) down to the bottom, leaving bare steel exposed to the inside air. yes, it'll take a long time but I KNOW it will happen.
The upper sections of the diff gears in my D-14 are pitted from rust. It sat so long, all the oil drained down and watery air rusted the gears and carrier.
This is also why you should apply a light film of oil on the springs used in overhead doors. Though rare, a 'dry' one can fail. My door guy of 35 years has seen a few.

Reactions: 1 user

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
No. The mechanisms are usually lunricated with a light coating of oil or grease. If its a plain spring center spool it really does not need any lubrication.

Dan
Thank you for this info. I wonder what I had originally seen? Should've been more observant! :) I was too happy about getting the control valve apart!

TG

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My original suggestion was made thinking you still had the valve off. Turns out you had already reinstalled it. I'm the curious type, but I wouldn't take it off again just to look.

As others have said, there was probably a light oil film on the parts when it was assembled originally. The spring area is sealed from the valve by an o-ring around the spool. The red oil you saw is from the slight seepage past the o-ring. Not a problem.