Question about adding PTO pump on a L245

dchimirev

Equipment
L245
Aug 22, 2017
Putnam Valley, NY
I have an 80's L245 with a FEL and a 3pt backhoe. There is a front mounted pump with an external tank which powers the FEL and BH. I believe this is the original pump setup that the tractor came with. I would like to explore the option of installing a PTO pump and getting rid of the front mount pump. If anyone is familiar with this machine and it's current setup; what kind of PTO pump would you recommend? What kind of change in performance or usability can I expect. Thank you!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Usually an engine driven pump provides the best bang for the $ because the engine is running at much higher speed than the pto and thus delivers more CC's of fluid per revolution.

PTO pumps come with a gear set to speed then up to achieve a reasonable output.

What is happening now that you do not like?

Dave

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I would also stay with the front PTO. It is live, and your rear PTO is not - it stops when the clutch is in. This could cause problems for you from time to time.

BostonJohn

Equipment
L245 plow, loader
Mar 13, 2023
Boston
I realize this is an old thread..But....
I am adding a loader to my L245. I need to know what size the engine shaft is. I'd rather differ to someone that has the size from a part order that worked or something. I don't trust my measuring method and its a bear to get to. The loader has the pump shaft and love joy connector but the lovejoy and the spider from the tractor side are not included. Sooooooooo...
Any help appreciated.