QH15 vs. PTO, argh

icehorse

Equipment
L3901, FEL, box blade, tedder rake, mini round baler, rotary cutter
Aug 10, 2022
A few days back I attached my RCR1860 for the first time. The PTO connection was a beast, mostly because the QH15 was constantly in the way. I'm thinking that a quick hitch with a rounder shape, like the QH05, would be easier to work around. But it seems like the QH05 probably isn't beefy enough for some of my implements that range up to 1200 pounds.

So a few questions:

Has anyone compared attaching the PTO with a QH05 vs a QH15? IS the QH05 in fact easier to navigate around?

If so, has anyone seen any beefier QHs that are rounded like the QH05?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have the QH15. I can't say it's easy, but I've only used my rotary cutter a couple of times. I don't think a QH05 would be noticeably easier.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
If you are interested there's a gentleman on YouTube ('Will-Prepared') who uses a QH05 on a B2601, and later a LX2610. Watching his videos (excellent!) got me interested in a QH05 (I want a quick hitch badly) vs a QH15 or similar. Recently I've been leaning towards a Speeco economy model due to the seemingly ridiculously high prices for LP quick hitches.

I wondered about how a quick hitch would impact the use of 3-point attachments on my tractor, particularly those requiring a PTO shaft. Would I have to get a new shaft if I've already cut one down to fit the non-QH attachment length? :unsure:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have an LX with a QH 10 (the QH 15 without the adjustable top hook) and the same cutter. The first time I hooked up the PTO, it probably took 15 minutes. Within a few times, I am consistently connecting in about a minute. I found that standing on the cutter to the right of the PTO shaft made all of the difference. I am right handed. It has been 1.5+ years, and I still love my QH.

Reactions: 1 users

icehorse

Equipment
L3901, FEL, box blade, tedder rake, mini round baler, rotary cutter
Aug 10, 2022
I have an LX with a QH 10 (the QH 15 without the adjustable top hook) and the same cutter. The first time I hooked up the PTO, it probably took 15 minutes. Within a few times, I am consistently connecting in about a minute. I found that standing on the cutter to the right of the PTO shaft made all of the difference. I am right handed. It has been 1.5+ years, and I still love my QH.
That's good to hear. I considered trying to stand on the cutter, but didn't try it. I'll try that next time. When I stood next to the cutter and leaned in to attach the PTO, the upper corner of the QH caught me in the chest.

As an aside, I obliterated my first big bramble patch yesterday. It was awesome in the literal sense :cool:

Reactions: 1 user

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
You got used to it after a little bit. Not sure how others do it but I hook up the 3pt first, lift the mower fully (an FDR1660) then go for the pto. Lifting the 3pt all the way gets the top link somewhat out of the way and lets me spin the blades with my right hand while holding the pto with my left (to line up the splines). Supposedly you can spin the pto but I haven't had luck doing that (I really should try that again).

Alpo

Oct 25, 2020
Idaho
If you are interested there's a gentleman on YouTube ('Will-Prepared') who uses a QH05 on a B2601, and later a LX2610. Watching his videos (excellent!) got me interested in a QH05 (I want a quick hitch badly) vs a QH15 or similar. Recently I've been leaning towards a Speeco economy model due to the seemingly ridiculously high prices for LP quick hitches.

I wondered about how a quick hitch would impact the use of 3-point attachments on my tractor, particularly those requiring a PTO shaft. Would I have to get a new shaft if I've already cut one down to fit the non-QH attachment length? :unsure:
I have the same question about PTO shaft length. Don't have a QH yet and I'm hesitant to trim a PTO shaft for a chipper before I get it.