Pull/push start a diesel?

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
I have three threads started on getting my L2000 started - which I have yet to accomplish.
A local suggested I pull/push start it. Will that work on a diesel?

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We have started them this way.

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
You can pull start the tractor, as others have said. You really should figure out why it isn't starting on its own. I don't know the specification for L2000 glow plugs, but for other machines I have the resistance is under 2 ohms. Set your meter to 20 ohms, disconnect the linking bar or wire between plugs, and connect one probe to the tip of a glow plug, and the other to its base. Repeat for all of them, and see what you get.

If you pull start it, do it very slowly. You can mechanically overspeed the engine, and potentially cause damage. The fact that you are getting smoke implies you have fuel, but perhaps ensuring the injectors are all getting fuel would be wise.

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Three must have things needed to start that engine:

1-Heat
2-Fuel
3-Compression

Doesn't matter how you crank the engine over, if you have the first three 'must haves', that L-2000 will run!

So.....................what about replacing that starter then?

:)
But it turns over, so starter must be good? Weeds 10 Kubota nothing

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Yes, if you have bleed all three lines at the injectors, you've done what you can there. Are you sure about fuel quality??

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Not sure about fuel quality. Getting new fuel today, will drain system, bleed lines and replace filter.
That will have to wait until tomorrow.
Thanks for the input!

284 International

Equipment
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
If you have cracked open the injector lines and have fuel coming out from each fitting, then you know the pump is delivering fuel to all three injectors. If you haven't gotten seen fuel coming from each fitting, then we know fuel isn't reaching them. Smoke from the pipe may mean anything from one to three of the injectors have fuel. It will be very hard to start on two cylinders, and probably impossible on one.

Over the internet, sometimes it can be hard to know what exactly someone means or has done, so I try to always be clarify and specify things as precisely as I can. An extra couple minutes typing is nothing compared to the time and aggravation of fiddling with something unsuccessfully. Do all three fittings spurt bubble free diesel? Have you checked the resistance of the glow plugs again?

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Yes to the injectors - all three spurt fuel.
I am getting new fuel tomorrow - so many things going on hard to find time for the tractor
Question - do i have to remove the glow plugs in order to test them?
Thank you for your patience
I want this thing running but as it isn't i have to hand cultivate what it takes two hours to do with the Kubota.
On top of grass, two jobs and an hour each way to the city. Who is the idiot who only put 24 jours in a day?

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
Yes to the injectors - all three spurt fuel.
I am getting new fuel tomorrow - so many things going on hard to find time for the tractor
Question - do i have to remove the glow plugs in order to test them?
Thank you for your patience
I want this thing running but as it isn't i have to hand cultivate what it takes two hours to do with the Kubota.
On top of grass, two jobs and an hour each way to the city. Who is the idiot who only put 24 jours in a day?
fuel quality shouldn't be an issue in Canada; mine will burn anything from kerozine down to melted margarine.

check the glow plugs and jump them to the battery to make sure they glow.

at +15 celcius, it should start with only 2 glow plugs ...glowing...

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
mine will burn about anything as well, i've tried about everything but melted margarine. The thing is containers of fuel can pickup water, algae, sediment precipitate, etc. I know northern fuel is treated but, age and storage can affect its quality. In troubleshooting a difficult to start diesel its prudent to begin with known statuses to the variables that usually cause the most trouble.

I suppose its was just my feeble attempt to help an orange brother out.

284 International

Equipment
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
do i have to remove the glow plugs in order to test them?
No, they don't have to be removed. To test them, loosen the connecting bar that joins the three plugs. Touch the tip of your test meter to the threaded end of the glow plug and the other to its base, where it screws into the block. See what the reading is.

The poor-boy way would be to remove the bus bar as above. Then, take a piece of wire and connect the tip to the positive terminal of the battery. If it sparks, you know it is pulling current and thus functional.

Since you have a functioning ohmmeter, save yourself the burnt fingers and flying sparks and use it instead of a jumper wire.

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
You can pull start the tractor, as others have said. You really should figure out why it isn't starting on its own. I don't know the specification for L2000 glow plugs, but for other machines I have the resistance is under 2 ohms. Set your meter to 20 ohms, disconnect the linking bar or wire between plugs, and connect one probe to the tip of a glow plug, and the other to its base. Repeat for all of them, and see what you get.
Did as suggested above - at 20 ohm setting meter started with a 1 far to left - I assume because it is an inexpensive meter.
Testing two of the three gave a reading for each of 0.00. So I figeure I have screwed up and the third is easy accessed so i pulled it.

Now how do i test it pulled out? I have looked at some videos but perhaps it was the sampling but their way doesn't seem very successful.

284 International

Equipment
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
Zero ohms means there is no continuity, so the glow plugs will not heat. Testing while it is out will be the same fashion: touch the threaded body with none probe, and the tip with the other probe.

Try a jumper wire or, if you have one, an ammeter or test light in series from the battery to the tip of the other glow plugs. If there is no current, the glow plug is bad.

Wamagiibon

Equipment
L2000
May 9, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
Something is bad and I think it is me.
As you may have noted - and i want to thank you - I started a thread thanking everyone as i got it started.

Interesting thing was i pulled two glows, used my battery charger (pos to top and neg to middle) and got heat in both. Third required me to remove air intake mainfold and i was afraid it would have gasket that i would wreck.

Since all three glow read 0.00 on 200 and 1.3 on 2K - turns out wearing glasses let me see that I never had a 20 ohm setting - I figure all three must work (dangerous assumption)

Anyway I cleaned up everything, put on gas filter, added new fuel, cleansed lines - yada yada and it eventually started. I ran it in the field, put it away and it started again two hours later.

Know glow plugs are good, but still not sure they are getting juice. But it runs

Question - Other than filters what else should I be doing to keep this thing running well. Specifially, hydraulics, tranny and PTO stuff?