pto

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
First off welcome to the orange,,, and what is hot??? Warm to the touch smoking hot, or glowing a dull red hot,,, see what I mean?
And I have to assume that you are a younger guy use to texting, please use real words spelled out, us old farts have a hard time figuring out what was said sometimes,,,
And yes if you think about it things do get warm, there's a lot of movement on the coupler and shaft, and it also depends on how long you were using the Brush hog and how hard.
Remember the harder you use a piece of equipment the more heat its going to generate.. Just MHO you understand

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
First off welcome to the orange,,, and what is hot??? Warm to the touch smoking hot, or glowing a dull red hot,,, see what I mean?
And I have to assume that you are a younger guy use to texting, please use real words spelled out, us old farts have a hard time figuring out what was said sometimes,,,
And yes if you think about it things do get warm, there's a lot of movement on the coupler and shaft, and it also depends on how long you were using the Brush hog and how hard.
Remember the harder you use a piece of equipment the more heat its going to generate.. Just MHO you understand
I agree with Skeets. The use of proper English, complete words, and punctuation is appreciated.
A also agree that heat happens. Whether there is a problem or not will depend on how hot. That shaft slides, rotates, and bends (u-joints), all while under high, consistent stress. Some heat will be normal, and the longer it is used, the warmer it will be, up to a point.
How warm was it?
And, welcome to OTT! This is a great place, with fantastic and knowledgeble people.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What they said, you get heat transfer from both the moving parts of the cutter and tractor, no way your PTO shaft is not going to get hot; not many things on or around a tractor that don't get hot.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Normal operation? I don't think a PTO coupler should be too hot to put my hands on a couple minutes after disengaging.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
He never said it was too hot to put hands on- just that it was "really hot"- that is a subjective description.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
The shaft will be pretty warm, as a reference it should be about the same temp as the tranny housing surrounding the area where the shaft exits the case, which can get down right hot. If you've been working it hard for very long that may well indeed be too warm to keep your hand on for more than a second or two. If it is just "hot" but you can lay your hand on it without getting burnt it is ok. If it is so hot that it burns you right away or if something sizzles or smokes, then you've got a problem. I've never had one transfer so much heat that the yoke couldn't be uncoupled from the shaft bare handed within a couple minjutes of finishing a job.
I can recall times on our old Farmall when it was downright uncomfortable just to have your feet on the deck of the tractor.

chainsaw

Mar 26, 2013
van buren ark 72956 crawford
:) Thanks so much for the very informative response. FYI, it's the PTO Shaft on the tractor that is hot to the touch that has me concerned. Again, thanks for your input. Enjoy today.

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
I don't see where anyone asked if the shaft has been greased. If not, the universal could be trandfering heat. And it dont hurt to put a little grease on the extension shaft.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Welcome
My M8640 normally makes the yoke coupling warm to the touch. Check the u joint and keep it greased.

E/S