PTO shroud

Oldstuff

Equipment
L 3400
Jun 1, 2022
Missouri
I had a Ford model 2000 for 13 years and never had a problem connecting an implement shaft to the pto. Just got a L3400 in May and hate connecting to the pto because I can't see the shaft due to the shroud blocking my view. I am asking on here because my tractor is not here at home so I can't just go out to look and I am wondering is that just there as a protector in case u-joint breaks. I see in many pics on here that some have removed that shroud.

Thanks- Oldstuff

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I removed the shroud in the first 15 minutes of having the tractor at my place. My thinking is that the PTO shaft wants to kill me and I treat it as such.

Yours should be able to flip up so you can see what you are doing... (I think that's how it worked, back in 2005...)

Do you know what year your tractor is? Just curious...

Oldstuff

Equipment
L 3400
Jun 1, 2022
Missouri
I removed the shroud in the first 15 minutes of having the tractor at my place. My thinking is that the PTO shaft wants to kill me and I treat it as such.

Yours should be able to flip up so you can see what you are doing... (I think that's how it worked, back in 2005...)

Do you know what year your tractor is? Just curious...
Yes, it is a 2009

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I suspect the shroud is a federally mandated safety device designed to protect the user from stupidity or inattention. On newer tractors it will probably flip up while on older ones it may be stationary. I've seen both. Try flipping it up - movement will be pretty stiff so it should stay in the up or down position until you move it.

Oldstuff

Equipment
L 3400
Jun 1, 2022
Missouri
I suspect the shroud is a federally mandated safety device designed to protect the user from stupidity or inattention. On newer tractors it will probably flip up while on older ones it may be stationary. I've seen both. Try flipping it up - movement will be pretty stiff so it should stay in the up or down position until you move it.
I will try flipping it up next time I am there- about 2 weeks.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I had a 2008 L3400 and iirc it does flip up - after removing a bolt on each side. I opted to do that each time and leave it on. I wrote, in marker, the bolt size, right on top so I remembered to grab a wrench.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Not L3400 but related.
On my older B6200 the shroud is part of the ROPS and 3 point. I added an extension so my gloved hand could get to the push pin. Did require cutting down the drive shafts.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a stationary shroud on my tractor and resort to releasing the plastic shaft cover and pushing it back towards the implement to see the pto shaft of the tractor.

Makes it easy to connect and only takes a minute

Reactions: 1 user

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
My L2501 has one that flips up. When I first got it the thing wouldn’t budge. I took a wrench and loosened the two bolts. Sprayed some lube on each and retightened but not as tight as they were. it requires a bit of effort but it easily moves up and down and stays where positioned.

Oldstuff

Equipment
L 3400
Jun 1, 2022
Missouri
Thank to all you guys, I look to see if mine flips up next time I'm at the farm.
Oldstuff