pto hook-up help

turck

Equipment
m5140, JD2020, ford 850, farmal 240
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
today for the first time I tried to hook up my old brush cutter to my new M5140. The pto shaft would't slide on all the way home without forcing it, seemed to tight, also do I need a over run clutch, I have one on my old deere but my Kubota doesn't have a hole in the output shaft for the role pin that holds the over run clutch on. Any suggestion?

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I'm not sure how your mower shaft is made but I hope this helps. The pto shaft on my L3240 has a groove around the circumference of the shaft. The slip clutch on my tiller shaft slips up to the groove of the pto shaft. There is a spring loaded pin on the tiller shaft that has to be depressed in order to slide the shaft to the point where the pin will release and hold it in place. When I have trouble getting the implement shaft to slide onto the pto shaft it is usually because the implement shaft is "gummed/rusted" up. On my previous tractor I once raised the bush hog to high and it bent the pto shaft just enough to make it difficult to attach. If I remember correctly the shaft is 6 spline. If your mower's spline matches up to the pto then I would guess the problems is the shaft itself and not the yoke. I hope this helps.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Your new tractor will have a built in over running clutch so you will not need the external one. As far as the PTO shaft see if you can get it to pull totally apart. Once you get it apart clean the two sides and grease them. Once you get the shaft to slide easily check to make sure the length is still correct. The 3 point arms may be a different length on the new tractor and not using the over running clutch may require the shaft to be longer. If the shaft is now to long you can damage the tractor PTO. If it is to short the shaft can break or separate while running.

turck

Equipment
m5140, JD2020, ford 850, farmal 240
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
Your new tractor will have a built in over running clutch so you will not need the external one. As far as the PTO shaft see if you can get it to pull totally apart. Once you get it apart clean the two sides and grease them. Once you get the shaft to slide easily check to make sure the length is still correct. The 3 point arms may be a different length on the new tractor and not using the over running clutch may require the shaft to be longer. If the shaft is now to long you can damage the tractor PTO. If it is to short the shaft can break or separate while running.
good to know on the built in over running clutch - thanks, the pto shaft slides fine my problem was when I tried to install the shaft to the 6 spline tractor shaft but after I ran the rotary cutter for a couple of hours it seem to come off with ease. I also bought a slip clutch from the tractor supply and installed it to my cutter before I ran it and that made my shaft a little better fit. again thanks for the info.