PTO equipment

stecol

Equipment
B-7100 King KutterII 48 Inch tiller
Jun 10, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Just a question, but I have always wondered what kind of equipment that would fit behind a B-7100 would use the 2nd or 3rd gears on the pto. Thanks

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Great question. I had a Mitsubishi tractor with FOUR PTO ranges. I only used a mower at 540 so I haven't a clue what implements use the other speeds. I could have used the mower in a higher PTO gear at a lower engine speed but diesels develop their torque at higher rpm so that wasn't it.

Reactions: 1 user

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
A couple of guys i know with bigger tractors used the higher pto gears to obtain the 540 rpm for generators, so they used less diesel after the hurricanes. However, these were big tractors (80-100 hp), so i don't think that it's too applicable to thre kubota tractors.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
A couple of guys i know with bigger tractors used the higher pto gears to obtain the 540 rpm for generators, so they used less diesel after the hurricanes. However, these were big tractors (80-100 hp), so i don't think that it's too applicable to thre kubota tractors.
While this comment is not related to the initial post and questions, it does provide you with some info on how bigger tractors can save fuel when requiring 540 pto rpm.
Economical pto.jpg

Operating a tractor below its torque peak can, if it is heavily loaded, lead to a sudden stall. As the load increases the tractor, being on the low side of its torque peak, cannot respond with more torque as the rpm's drop. This is why manufacturers set the internal pto gearing such that at 540 rpm the engine is operating past the torque peak. As the engine slows under load, the available torque actually increases and a sudden stall does not occur.

The smaller the tractor and the closer the pto load is to the tractor's maximum, the more important these concepts become.

Dave