PTO engage grinding too much

JimDD

Equipment
~mid 80's L345 with 5' B/H, 2004 ZD28F (72")
Oct 6, 2011
Baton Rouge, La.
I just bought an older Kubota, L345 whose S/N is 11090. It has been maintained by the previous owner per conversation. I do have one problem that is needing to be corrected or fixed (including the new owner being trained on its operation).

When the tractor is started with the transmission H/L in the neutral position, after depressing the clutch and then placing the transmission H/L lever in the Low position, when attempting to engage the PTO H/L position, extreme grinding takes place within the PTO H/L selection box.

Is there a step I am missing or could there be misalignment with anything needing correcting?

Thanks for all of your help.

Jim

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don't know if your 345 is like the L305 I use now and then; but the 305 has a 2 stage clutch. You can disengage the transmission in the top half of the travel, but the PTO doesn't disengage till the pedal is down to the floor board.

There's a small flip-up lever that can block the clutch pedal 1/2 way. This is so you can shift gears without necessarily stopping the PTO. Is that lever present beside your clutch pedal and is it flipped up to tranny-only position? Or perhaps the clutch needs adjusted? Don't ask me, the whole 2 stage clutch has me mystified, I know how to use it, but I can't fathom how that works internally.

ValveJob

Equipment
L3400DT Loader Boxblade
Feb 6, 2010
La Fayette, GA
I have a L3400, 2006 model. When I got it it ground gears when I tried to engage PTO. That is with the clutch all the way in. Mine has a separte adjustment for the PTO clutch AFTER the primary clutch adjustment. I would advise spending a few bucks for the operators manual. It has all the adjustment info.

I posted to the forum here about my experience but you would have to find it. Yours may be the same with the same specs. On mine there is a small plate to take off the right side of the bell housing to make this adjustment. I got the adjustment backwards the first time. Now it is easy. The loader has to come off for me to access this small cover.

It's not that difficult to do it. Have fun.

Tom

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Mine also had severe grinding when I got it but then adjusted the clutch peddle free play to 1" (was 2") and problem went away. :)