PTO driven watering rig

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
I have a long driveway with strips of grass between the road and the brush along the sides. I like using the pre mixed hose end sprayers designed to use a regular garden hose. I would like some suggestions for a basic system that could pump water from a mounted tank and supply a regular 3/4" garden hose with 35-40 psi if possible. I can also use it to water some of the areas that I need to repair and re-seed. Not into fabricating something. Thanks!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you can buy 12V DC high pressure pumps ( think 'pull behind liquid fertilizer' setups... Price varies based on GPM and PSI. Simple 'garden hose' connections..so easy to use... I used one for 8-10 years to offload 2000G tank to water 1/4ac veggie garden, every 3 dayze.....

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Check out three point tank mounted sprayers with either a 6 or 8 roller pump, various size tanks are available.

Reactions: 1 user

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
Thanks for the replies. So far I'm not having much luck finding something that says anything about 3/4" hose, just wands and booms.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for the replies. So far I'm not having much luck finding something that says anything about 3/4" hose, just wands and booms.
These 3pt sprayers are intended for spraying pesticides and herbicides so they come with a wand and/or boom Just replace the wand with a garden hose and you are good to go.

That said assuming you want some real volume get something with a PTO driven roller pump. A 60 gallon poly tank, 3pt carryall to set it on, a roller pump and a cheap Tee-jet pressure regulator from your local TSC would be far less expensive than a purpose built 3pt sprayer. I would not call plumbing up something like that "fabrication".

Dan

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
There all kind of ways to make what you want but to buy it off the shelf does not look good.

A 3 point PTO sprayer is doable but more then likely you will need to make an adapter to use a garden hose. But that is a lot of money to water plants.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
There all kind of ways to make what you want but to buy it off the shelf does not look good.

A 3 point PTO sprayer is doable but more then likely you will need to make an adapter to use a garden hose. But that is a lot of money to water plants.
I use my shop made 3pt sprayer and a garden hose to water beds that are not next to the buildings. I probably have $700 in it and a couple hundred of that is in the nozzles/boom and a good spray gun. If all you want to do is water plants then all you need is the tank, a pressure regulator, some hose, and a roller pump. Probably run you about $400.

Dan

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I doubt there's any 'off-the-shelf' units..not a huge market.
Couple of questions...
what weight can the 3PH lift ? 200G water tank will weight over 2000# when full.
'garden hose'. what distance from the tractor will you be watering.
how big a garden, how many rows. for years I let gravity water 2 rows at a time from a pair of 30G tanks then setup 1500' of drip/soaker hoses which was a whole lot easier.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a long driveway with strips of grass between the road and the brush along the sides. I like using the pre mixed hose end sprayers designed to use a regular garden hose. I would like some suggestions for a basic system that could pump water from a mounted tank and supply a regular 3/4" garden hose with 35-40 psi if possible. I can also use it to water some of the areas that I need to repair and re-seed. Not into fabricating something. Thanks!
Rereading this post i see you primarily want to spray chemicals. A small off the shelf 3pt sprayer with a PTO pump and a good gun is readily available and easier than finding a rig for using those pre-mix garden hose end sprayers.

Dan

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
Thanks for all the additionai comments and info! Now I have a much better understanding of what I need to look at. I'm not opposed to doing some assembly and tinkering it just seems that most of my projects however well intended, evolve into reinventing the wheel. I will admit to being partially to blame...

TheOldHokie- I want to be able to use the the pre mixed hose end products like one would use on their yard. Also want to be able to use a hose nozzle or watering wand to water repaired areas beside the driveway.

Greensville Jay- I'm only looking at 100 gallons or so and have plenty of lift capacity if I change my mind. The driveway is about 1/2 mile long and I will only be about 20' from the tractor. I am not watering a garden or plants. Just weeds and grass.

BigG- No plants, just grass and weeds.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for all the additionai comments and info! Now I have a much better understanding of what I need to look at. I'm not opposed to doing some assembly and tinkering it just seems that most of my projects however well intended, evolve into reinventing the wheel. I will admit to being partially to blame...

TheOldHokie- I want to be able to use the the pre mixed hose end products like one would use on their yard. Also want to be able to use a hose nozzle or watering wand to water repaired areas beside the driveway.

Greensville Jay- I'm only looking at 100 gallons or so and have plenty of lift capacity if I change my mind. The driveway is about 1/2 mile long and I will only be about 20' from the tractor. I am not watering a garden or plants. Just weeds and grass.

BigG- No plants, just grass and weeds.
OK. If you are wedded to the pre-mix products a 65-100 gallon poly tank($150) , a roller pump ($130), and a pressure regulator($30) will get you well on your way. You will need to plumb the pieces together with some sprayer hose and find a way to transport the tank. A small trailer or 3pt carry all will handle that. The pump and pressure regulator will give you adjustable 40-100 PSI and 10+ GPM water supply. Hook up your garden hose just like a hose bib on your house and away you go.

You can easily add a spray gun to the rig and use it to spray a tank mix. Once/if you do you will likely ditch the garden hose and premix bottles. A $100 gun will out spray the garden hose 10 times to Tuesday.

Dan

Attachments

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
I can understand the logic in your comment. I guess with the proper pump and hose size I could plumb it for both. I've never taxed the well, but figured 100 gallons was about as much as I wanted to draw at one time. If that proves to be too much I have plenty of gutter lenght on the house and storage building to collect rain water. I really want the 3/4'' hose connection for remote watering even if I decide to just mix it in the tank. Thanks for your additional comments.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I can understand the logic in your comment. I guess with the proper pump and hose size I could plumb it for both. I've never taxed the well, but figured 100 gallons was about as much as I wanted to draw at one time. If that proves to be too much I have plenty of gutter lenght on the house and storage building to collect rain water. I really want the 3/4'' hose connection for remote watering even if I decide to just mix it in the tank. Thanks for your additional comments.
It is not one or the other. Here is a picture of my sprayer. The pump runs continuously and pressurizes the plastic pipe just like your well pump pressurizes the pipe in your house. The lever handle on the left turns the boom on. The ball valve turns the gun on. If you put another tee between them with a garden hose fitting on it you could hook your 3/4" hose with hose end sprayer to it. They would all work independently just like having 3 hose bibs on the outside of your house. Any combination can be on or off at the same time. Easy to plumb and not expensive to assemble. Put it on a small trailer and tow it with the tractor or find a way to mount it on the 3pt.

Dan

Attachments

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
I'll report back after a trip to Tractor Supply and Rural King. And likely Lowes and....😂

Thanks again for everyones suggestions and ideas.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I use a 1000L tote as my watering can. I fill the tote using a cheapo chinese 2" gas powered water pump and let gravity unload for watering. I have a 2" gate valve I actuate with my loader aux hydraulics. If you make a fan nozzle there is enough pressure to give you a nice spray pattern.

2manybikes

Equipment
19 L3560 HST with cab.
Aug 2, 2021
SW Va.
I dedicated a trip to Tractor Supply and Rural King to check out the sprayer parts and try to come up with some ideas. The sprayer parts section of both stores looked like the toilet paper isle of the grocery stores during Covid. It finally occured to me I was looking right in the middle of the growing season around here. I'll wait a month or two and try again!

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
I didn’t find what I was looking for so decided to fabricate mine.
2 - 55 gallon plastic drums on an angle iron 3 point frame, plumbing fittings to tie together and feeding a 6 roller PTO pump. I can shoot water about 60 feet. Makes a pretty good fire control unit.
I do have an almost unlimited source for plastic drums.