PTO driven stump grinder for small tractors

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I use the bottom crate for storage of the unit as well like many here. The outer shell I took out back and use it currently as a little burn bin. We burn all our paper/cardboard based trash so I haul it back and dump it in this thing and it works to just kinda hold it like a burn cage. I doubt it holds up long though, its already rusting and such. Ill eventually take it to the local landfill with my trash rounds and dump it. Ill keep the bottom pallet though its a solid little metal pallet.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
it appears im not a math guy, DOH!!!

Upon discovering my alarming level of idiocy, I thought it might be a good idea to take a second look at the shaft measurements as a precaution.

When the grinder is on the ground, the shaft overlap is 5". Total span is 18" while down. That's short of the recommended 2/3 overlap. As the grinder grinds below grade, 3-4" maybe(?) could see another 1" of shaft extension (guessing) leaving 4" of overlap.

The $300 question, should I buy a new shaft?

I did buy a new shield and got that sorted today.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
it appears im not a math guy, DOH!!!

Upon discovering my alarming level of idiocy, I thought it might be a good idea to take a second look at the shaft measurements as a precaution.

When the grinder is on the ground, the shaft overlap is 5". Total span is 18" while down. That's short of the recommended 2/3 overlap. As the grinder grinds below grade, 3-4" maybe(?) could see another 1" of shaft extension (guessing) leaving 4" of overlap.

The $300 question, should I buy a new shaft?

I did buy a new shield and got that sorted today.
Kevin,

That must be that "new math" that I've heard so much about lately in that there is no real answer to 2+2.

Honestly, I think you're cutting it really close (pun intended) with 4" of overlap. Just consider that you will be extending it further when grinding below grade. Additionally, the grinder flywheel can also pivot away from the tractor (like when grinding too fast). That would require the shaft to be longer as well.

When I cut mine, I found that the shortest shaft length was when I had the grinder raised to the top of three point hitch travel. Maybe just get another shaft of the original length (I believe it was around 34"?) and use your quick hitch? There's a chance you wouldn't have to cut it at all.

In any event, I think I already know what you are going to do about your situation...

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
argh thanks Steve... I figured as such. Ok calling W/M this afternoon :rolleyes:
good point on the new shaft, maybe an excuse to buy a quick hitch :ROFLMAO:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
argh thanks Steve... I figured as such. Ok calling W/M this afternoon :rolleyes:
good point on the new shaft, maybe an excuse to buy a quick hitch :ROFLMAO:
I only mentioned the quick hitch because I thought that you had one already?

Can't you find a shaft locally (like tractor supply)?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
one is on the way from WM, they have fantastic support.

Reactions: 1 user

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
For what its worth, I didnt have to cut the shaft at all on my Kubota L2501. I use it on the QH15 quick hitch. It fits perfectly with this setup.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
If I had a quick hitch I think I’d be golden. But the shaft is a little too long by about 1.5 inches without. New shaft on the way.