Pros and Cons for adding a PTO Extender Adapter to make PTO shaft attachment easier

100AkerWood

Equipment
2021 Kubota MX5400 1973 Kubota B6000 1979 MF245 J-Bar Grapple, Rake & Blade
Mar 2, 2021
Lee County AL
I recently posted about having trouble accessing attachment of the PTO shaft to a MX5400. It is a real tight fit between the implement, tires, and PTO Shaft. It is difficult to attach the PTO Shaft with the closeness of the VS220 spreader and limited room.

A fellow OTT member posted using a wheeled platform to move the implement closer to the tractor. I have a gravel pole barn so moving the implement is not an option.

I am wondering if I added a @ $30 PTO Shaft Extender (Agri Supply) if it has any implications/concerns on the tractor operation?

The PTO shaft is currently @ 30 inches (PTO shaft- 17 inches of shaft). I would have to re-cut the PTO shaft such that it might be only about 25-27 inches overall and the movable inner shaft maybe 15 inches.

Is there a problem with a short PTO Shaft when operating or lifting the implement (Kubota VS220 Spreader)?

Will adding a PTO Shaft Extender really make mounting the spreader any easier? I believe it will, I am posting this to see if any other members have tried this before. I look forward to your suggestions/comments.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I recently went through a quick hitch 'transformation'. Most of my PTO shafts needed 4" added to them. Adding a PTO extender would have been a silver bullet. I did some reading since I dont know much. I read that if the extender is out of balance, not machined just right, it could put stress on the PTO mechanicals at the tractor end. This gave me great reservation about using one.

I brought all my PTO shafts to a local drive shaft shop. They removed the shafts, and installed new shaft stock cut to length. I also needed to buy new PTO shaft covers. The bill from the driveshaft shop for doing 4x shafts was less than the cost of one new PTO shaft. For PTO covers, I purchased 'universal' ones from Amazon and they are working well. I think as long as you are getting at least 1/3 overlap you are ok. My shafts were overlapping like 2", the shorter the shaft the worse it was. I dont think an extender will make it any easier to hook up, still have to fuss with it.

Last edited:

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Has anyone used those easy attach additions? I’ve seen them advertised on YouTube. It would extend a short amount but supposedly make it easier to attach.

100AkerWood

Equipment
2021 Kubota MX5400 1973 Kubota B6000 1979 MF245 J-Bar Grapple, Rake & Blade
Mar 2, 2021
Lee County AL
This is the extender I was looking at to move the PTO shaft back so attachment is more accessible.
55437B53-6034-447B-AC75-C49A188ED3A0.png

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Very first thing I did to my tractor was to remove the PTO cover... Makes hooking up much easier.

I treat my PTO shaft as a deranged killer that wants me dead... I NEVER get near it while it's running. Respect the PTO shaft and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Connecting to my brush hog was the most difficult of all my chores......here was my solution:

1. Clean and lube the telescoping parts of the metal PTO shaft
2. Change out the yoke that attaches to a "slide pin" style
3. Change out the plastic protective covering on the PTO shaft to a Bare-Co style
4. Trim approx 1" off the plastic shield next to the tractor

When ready to connect to the tractor:
1. Back up and align lift arms to attachment points on equipment (do not connect)
2. Drive forward a few inches (to the extent that your pto shaft will allow), and lower your lift arms
3. Connect the pto shaft to the tractor (you have more room to work now).
To assist in this connection, some suggest marking the location of the splines on the PTO yoke with a marks-a-lot, others, hold the pto yoke in position and turn the shaft on the tractor until they feel it mate up with the pto yoke.
4. Once connected, raise your lift arms.......back up.......connect to your equipment.