Problem keeping BX2380 running

Clueless Wife

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 25, 2022
Covington, GA
Okay, as my handle suggests, I am a clueless wife. I am also a wife ready to put her husband in an indefinite time out if he doesn't figure out this problem he is having with his BX2380 Kubota. It is 2 years old and has less than 50 hours on it. It is used strictly for cutting 2 acres of grass and used it to till the garden 3 times.

Last week, we got back from a 17 day vacation and the grass was unusually high. I think we had quite a bit of rain here in Georgia while we were gone. We hadn't even unloaded the truck and he was out there cutting it. He mowed down some dead green bean plants from our garden and the tractor bogged down. This should not have bogged down the tractor (in my opinion). It wouldn't stay running. Oil and filter had been changed right before we left on vacation. He checked the lines then changed the air filter and fuel filters and it still didn't work. I read a lot of posts here and suggested he buy some of that bioclean stuff for the gas tank. But yanno, I am a clueless wife so I knew nothing. After a few more hours of aggravation, he decided to buy it. Brought it home, dumped it in the tank and it worked!

Fast forward to this week. He went out to cut again and at some point one of the T̶P̶O̶(̶?̶)̶ PTO fell. Apparently something vibrated the nut loose and it fell to the ground. He doesn't know how long he was dragging it around. Well, not knowing it was dragging behind him, he put it in reverse which caused the arm to dig into the ground. It stalled out the tractor. Now, he can't keep it running. It just keeps shutting off.

While he was outside trying to figure it out, I called the place we bought it from. They wouldn't help me troubleshoot, just wanted me to make an appointment to get it in there...in a week and a half. She mentioned the TPO switch but what about it?

Ideas? Suggestions? Help? Please?

And Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
TPO?

Do you mean the 3 point Hitch? (or PTO - ie: power take off)

3-PH The 2 arms + 1 cylinder on the back of the tractor that would typically be used to attach your tiller ( and other implements) to?

Not sure how (if that's what you mean) would affect the tractors ability to run.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance yet.

Some of the wiser folks here will ask you more questions and hopefully be able to offer a possible solution.

If you meant PTO...yeah, maybe somethings jammed up in the gearbox making the engine lug. Try just "driving" the tractor with no PTO engaged. No mower, no tiller etc.

Clueless Wife

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 25, 2022
Covington, GA
TPO?

Do you mean the 3 point Hitch? (or PTO - ie: power take off)

3-PH The 2 arms + 1 cylinder on the back of the tractor that would typically be used to attach your tiller ( and other implements) to?

Not sure how (if that's what you mean) would affect the tractors ability to run.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance yet.

Some of the wiser folks here will ask you more questions and hopefully be able to offer a possible solution.

If you meant PTO...yeah, maybe somethings jammed up in the gearbox making the engine lug. Try just "driving" the tractor with no PTO engaged. No mower, no tiller etc.
It was one of the arms, not the cylinder. He said it was the arm that is adjustable. It is a mid-mount mower, not the kind you pull behind, if that makes a difference.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
It was one of the arms, not the cylinder. He said it was the arm that is adjustable. It is a mid-mount mower, not the kind you pull behind, if that makes a difference.
I understand....I have the exact same machine.

If you are referring to the 3-POINT HITCH *(the thing out back that goes up and down, that's one thing.

If you are referring to the PTO (power take off) the driveshaft kinda thingy that runs your tiller,(and also your mid--mount mower) that's another thing completely.

So, which did he back up and bend? One of the arms (3PH) or the driveshaft (PTO) ? (neither would normally touch the ground, so that's weird)

Has he tried just driving it around with NO MOWER, NO TILLER, NO NUTTIN' engaged? (there is a level to select one of three different PTO modes and a separate lever to engage/disengage it.)

There is yet another lever to raise/lower the 3 point hitch.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I reread your initial post. I think I see now..... I think it's a 3 point hitch arm that he backed up on, as something came off and let it go down. You can say "3 point hitch" or "3PH" but TPO is so close to PTO it had me confused.

I am willing to bet the non-running and bending/jamming the arm may not at all be related.

It's just a guess. If he's really rammed one arm, I'd be checking the hydraulic fluid for leaks and level. (but again, it's a stretch that this'll make your tractor run/not run, unless he's really done a bad number on it.

I am not a tractor expert, nor did I stay in a Holiday Express last night.

Clueless Wife

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 25, 2022
Covington, GA
I reread your initial post. I think I see now..... I think it's a 3 point hitch arm that he backed up on, as something came off and let it go down. You can say "3 point hitch" or "3PH" but TPO is so close to PTO it had me confused.

I am willing to bet the non-running and bending/jamming the arm may not at all be related.

It's just a guess. If he's really rammed one arm, I'd be checking the hydraulic fluid for leaks and level. (but again, it's a stretch that this'll make your tractor run/not run, unless he's really done a bad number on it.

I am not a tractor expert, nor did I stay in a Holiday Express last night.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
3 point hitch arm (not TPO like your initial post said.) TPO is not anything....PTO is, but it's not germain to this issue.

Clueless Wife

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 25, 2022
Covington, GA
I understand....I have the exact same machine.

If you are referring to the 3-POINT HITCH *(the thing out back that goes up and down, that's one thing.

If you are referring to the PTO (power take off) the driveshaft kinda thingy that runs your tiller,(and also your mid--mount mower) that's another thing completely.

So, which did he back up and bend? One of the arms (3PH) or the driveshaft (PTO) ? (neither would normally touch the ground, so that's weird)

Has he tried just driving it around with NO MOWER, NO TILLER, NO NUTTIN' engaged? (there is a level to select one of three different PTO modes and a separate lever to engage/disengage it.)

There is yet another lever to raise/lower the 3 point hitch.
To answer your questions, it is the PTO and yes he has tried driving it with nothing engaged. Same issue.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
But a great wife to admit her weaknesses! 😂🤣😂
But back to the serious question.

Sounds like either a fuel supply issue, or a fuel cut off solenoid issue.

Does the engine start, and immediately stop when the key is released from the start position? If so check all the fuses before going further.

If you supply exact details of what is happening someone smarted than me will likely give you more helpful advice. Good wife was right on though! LOL.

edit: I would not start with indefinite time outs. Increasing their length may be more productive in producing results. ;)

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Oh boy....I think we have a failure to communicate.

This is the PTO (power take off). It's inside the red circle.(under the plastic cap)
It's used to power things via a short 2'-ish driveshaft like rear mowers, tillers, and the like.

You say he backed up on the 3 point arm (because it dropped) but you insist it's the PTO.

WHICH is it (please)

1658777074934.png

Last edited:

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
To answer your questions, it is the PTO and yes he has tried driving it with nothing engaged. Same issue.
What do you mean "it is the PTO" ? Because the thing you circled in blue in the picture you posted is part of the three point hitch, not the power take-off. I suggest you try writing without using the word "it"...seriously...it will make it a lot easier for us to help you.

Also, it's time to start learning what things do. PTO = power take-off, and is called that because it "takes power off the engine" and is used to power attachments (such as mowers). 3PH = three point hitch and is used to attach implements to the rear of the tractor. It's called a three point hitch because the implement is attached to the tractor in three locations. Rigidity of the connection is created because the linkages are fixed length and thus there is only one triangle that can be formed. This is the same principal that is used in trusses.

As others have suggested, it seems unlikely that the engine problems are related to your husband's having run over anything.

Last edited:

Clueless Wife

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 25, 2022
Covington, GA
Oh boy....I think we have a failure to communicate.

This is the PTO (power take off). It's inside the red circle.(under the plastic cap)
It's used to power things via a short 2'-ish driveshaft like rear mowers, tillers, and the like.

You say he backed up on the 3 point arm (because it dropped) but you insist it's the PTO.

WHICH is it (please)

View attachment 84202
It isn't the red circle...I changed it because someone above said PTO. What came off causing the arm to fall is what I circled in blue.

Clueless Wife

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 25, 2022
Covington, GA
What do you mean "it is the PTO" ? Because the thing you circled in blue in the picture you posted is part of the three point hitch, not the power take-off. I suggest you try writing without using the word "it"...seriously...it will make it a lot easier for us to help you.
The thing circled in blue.

Clueless Wife

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 25, 2022
Covington, GA
But back to the serious question.

Sounds like either a fuel supply issue, or a fuel cut off solenoid issue.

Does the engine start, and immediately stop when the key is released from the start position? If so check all the fuses before going further.

If you supply exact details of what is happening someone smarted than me will likely give you more helpful advice. Good wife was right on though! LOL.

edit: I would not start with indefinite time outs. Increasing their length may be more productive in producing results. ;)
The engine starts. Then it kind of sputters. He left it running in the garage and came into the house. It sounded like it shut off but when he went out, it was still running, just sputtering. It sputtered really low, then high, then cut off.

I know I am not using the proper terminology. I'm sorry.

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
The engine starts. Then it kind of sputters. He left it running in the garage and came into the house. It sounded like it shut off but when he went out, it was still running, just sputtering. It sputtered really low, then high, then cut off.

Leaving an engine running in the garage is a great way to get carbon dioxide poisoning.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

When he changed the fuel filters, did he bleed the system? Sounds like it had enough fuel in the lines to run for a bit, then got a big gulp of air. Now its spitting and sputtering.

Also, BX's are known for clogged fuel outlets on tank. Make sure you have good fuel flow from injection pump all the way back to tank. Could be a chunk of crap in the line.

Reactions: 1 user