Pro speed increaser

65specialk

Equipment
B21 BX25D
Aug 9, 2011
Gasburg, Va.
I have a chipper for my B21 but the pro speed is only 540. How can I increase the pot speed? I have seen gear boxes mounted to pots. Is that what I need?
Thanks Dave

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Is the chipper rated for more than 540 PTO? If it isn't, I wouldn't run it any faster. Most of the ones that I've seen are basically a hammer mill design. There are some things I might consider running over rated rpm, but that isn't one of them.

I'm not sure what you've seen for gear boxes on the PTO. One of the models has a backwards PTO and runs a reverser, or you may have seen an over running clutch. I've not seen a speed increaser, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. My L1500DT has a 4 speed PTO, but that doesn't do you any good.

Last edited:

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Agree with Bucktail,
I recently purchased a speed increaser for my hydraulic power unit. I would not use this device to increase an implement speed. That said, some mowers will operate SLIGHTLY above 540, if that is the capability of your tractor. Usually the throttle will allow engine speed in excess of designated PTO rpm's.

Other implements may tolerate a PTO speed that exceeds the implement rating but this is done at your own peril and a shredder/chipper is not on the list.

My increaser is NOT designed to operate an implement but rather a hydraulic pump. Typically, these pumps are not rated below 1500 rpm's, meaning the manufacturer does NOT certify any performance below that speed.

Bucktail asked your objective?