Preparing a garden

jd57

Equipment
L225, kingkutter 4' bushog,A&B 4' boxblade
Dec 14, 2014
hilham,tn.
Hey fellas
I have a Kubota L225 sub-compact tractor. It's 24HP, 20hp @ the PTO.
My question is what implements do you guys recommend to prepare a 40'X80" garden?
So I go w/ a 4' tiller?
Single bottom plow and disc?
What's the advantage to one over the other?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
A lot depends on the ground you plan to work for the garden.
Sandy?
Rocky?
Loam?
Previously worked?
Bare ground?
Weedy?
Hilly or flat?
I know that is no help, but it does make a difference and helps to formulate a reply.

Without any of the above information, personally, I would use a tiller. The ground comes out quite smooth.

A plow makes a giant mess, but can work wonders on virgin ground that is weedy. It then needs to be worked with a disc. A tiller can do the "disc" step but several passes may be needed.

Another option if there aren't weeds is to use the scarifiers on a box blade. Go over the ground in a checkerboard pattern until it is well broken up. Then hit it with the tiller.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
MHO a tiller is what you need to do what you want,, If its new ground go slowly and drop the tiller about an inch or so and do it again until you get it all done,,, reason for this is you will find lots of things you never knew were buried in the ground,, rocks,, more rocks,, tree roots, old wire, toys, even flint projectile points ( found a bunch when I did the big garden the first 4 years) hunks of pipe all kinds of stuff if ya sumper in and go full bore it might just get real interesting real quick,,, and expensive,, Don't ask:rolleyes:

jd57

Equipment
L225, kingkutter 4' bushog,A&B 4' boxblade
Dec 14, 2014
hilham,tn.
Ok it's flat ground, previously worked, top soil. My neighbor has been doing it for me the last 2 years but I bought a tractor last fall and want to start doing my own.
He uses a two blade bottom plow and then discs it. But his tractor is bigger than mine.
My concern with the tiller is I'm at the low end of the PTO HP rating for a 4' tiller.

Dhunt4work

Equipment
L3800DT
Dec 24, 2014
Roanoke, Indiana
I would be more concerned with the single bottom plow than with the tiller and HP issues. I see that the ground has been worked so I don't think you'll have issues with the tiller. The tiller will save you some time on already worked ground.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
With the additional information, it is definitely a tiller job.

I run a 4' tiller on the back of my BX2200 on worked ground with absolutely no problems. The engine is cranked up to maximum rpm and never slows or lugs.

Most tractor ratings are based on worst case scenarios. Your plot is a best case scenario so have some headroom.

Your tractor should work fine. In fact, there are places that rent tillers and you might want to try before you buy.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Definitely a tiller. Don't worry about the HP, plenty. 40X80 will be childs play for a 4' tiller. I would even suggest that you double the size of your garden, and plant your rows far enough apart to work the crops with the tractor mounted tiller if you have the land. Makes it much nicer, and you can use the bucket driving in between rows during harvest.

Doc