Precision Trailer Moving?

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I have a 18’ tender car hauler. I want to be able to move it safely and with precision in my concrete floored shed. The goal would be to snug it up along a wall when not in use.

Think I could do so with one of those dollys from Harbor Freight? Any other ideas? I can’t do it with my truck as it’s too tight.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a 18’ tender car hauler. I want to be able to move it safely and with precision in my concrete floored shed. The goal would be to snug it up along a wall when not in use.

Think I could do so with one of those dollys from Harbor Freight? Any other ideas? I can’t do it with my truck as it’s too tight.
Kinda depends on how heavy (easy to push by hand) your trailer is.
If it was single axle, a dolly under each wheel, and one under the tongue would make it easy.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Depends on how heavy I guess.
You'd need a dolly under each wheel and one for the tongue I suppose.

I had a 1550lb Classic car I used to push around my small garage by hand. Once you got it moving and
all dolly wheels aimed the same way it was ok. (home-made dollies)

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I regularly park my dump trailer in the garage (within plus or minus an inch) using my FEL hitch on the tractor, low range, 1st gear.
I can do it with the F350, but it is way easier with the tractor. Much better control & visibility.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

I think a lot depends on how much room you have in the shed…do you have a front hitch on the tractor?…it’s a lot easier to push the trailer with the front end of the tractor IMO especially for right spaces. (I store boats on tandem axle trailers and I only push them with a front hitch…sort of depends on where the doors are and how much space you have…if there is clearance you can turn a trailer really short…listen to those tires chirp)

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
This Harbor Freight item is an option if it is a single axle. I have used them to move vehicles around in a parking deck. One for each wheel and off you go.

1300 lbs. Capacity Vehicle Positioning Wheel Dolly

Play Video

+2More
DAYTONA
1300 lb. Capacity Self-Loading Positioning Wheel Dolly

(565)Write a Review
This vehicle positioning wheel dolly has a built-in jack for self-loading operation.

$149.99

Compare to
GOJAK® G5211 at $279 Save $129.01
Compare to
GOJAK® G5211
$279Save
$129

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia

Depends on the tongue weight. I have one of those, and it works just fine. I use it for moving my log splitter.

One weak spot is the tires. They might last a year. I replaced mine with no-flats, and life is good.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
heck, I wish I could afford the space to move AND store a hauler IN my garage ! Even the BX23s gets kicked out for every project,especially welding. Probably close to a ton of steel to 'precison place' will need a lot of time and special equipment. Dollies to lift trailer onto and 'power' to move it. You 'might' use a battery powered tow dolly ? expensive but far better control over the 'two wheels on a stick' version. Barnyard bodge version is to use an old 5HP snowblower..with blower section replaced with 2" ball. How to do it, really depends on your access from door to 'final' location and what's in the way.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I regularly park my dump trailer in the garage (within plus or minus an inch) using my FEL hitch on the tractor, low range, 1st gear.
I can do it with the F350, but it is way easier with the tractor. Much better control & visibility.
Did you build or buy the clamp-on ball mount? Looks homemade but I figured I would ask.

I would like to have one, though I'd probably mount 2 different balls, a 2" and a 2-5/16" side-by-side for diversity.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Another option for using bucket to move things around is the old "weld a reciever tube onto the bucket" trick.

I have also found that it is pretty useful as a point to hang a chain around the back of the bucket to move other things.

20220714_140308[1].jpg

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Thanks all,

I admit it’s a luxury to store a car hauler inside. I do have future plans for the space but for the time being, it’s available and why has the trailer baking in the sun.

A mistake / wall hit would be an unforced error and a bad problem for sure. Just looking for some options.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks all,

I admit it’s a luxury to store a car hauler inside. I do have future plans for the space but for the time being, it’s available and why has the trailer baking in the sun.

A mistake / wall hit would be an unforced error and a bad problem for sure. Just looking for some options.
I have a 20' 14K equipment trailer that lives inside.
Protects tires, and decking.
Space is not "wasted".
I store an infrequently used vehicle aboard. - two items in one space.

Last edited:

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I move a 3000 pound pop-up camper with the manual mover shown below. It does okay but has a few drawbacks. No brakes so flat ground only. Tends to tip when pushing so you need some practice.
It takes two of us to really man-handle the camper on dirt.

mover.jpg

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Did you build or buy the clamp-on ball mount? Looks homemade but I figured I would ask.

I would like to have one, though I'd probably mount 2 different balls, a 2" and a 2-5/16" side-by-side for diversity.
Homemade, from stuff laying around the shop.
I thought about the option for quick change different size balls, but everything I own is 2".

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I also made this, again from stuff laying around. Works great on pavement or hard pack dirt, not so much on gravel or cinders.
If I had it to do over, I would use larger diameter wheels/tires. (but that is what I had on hand)

Attachments

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm wondering just how 'easy' it'd be to dolly a TANDEM axled trailer in tight quarters with a HAND(human powerd) dolly ??
I know it's a LOT easier to move my 6by10 tandem dump with the front wheels off the ground and that's using the forklift as the 'prime mover'....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm wondering just how 'easy' it'd be to dolly a TANDEM axled trailer in tight quarters with a HAND(human powerd) dolly ??
I know it's a LOT easier to move my 6by10 tandem dump with the front wheels off the ground and that's using the forklift as the 'prime mover'....
I'll guarantee it would be absolutely impossible to do with my 20' tandem equipment trailer ( empty wt. 3450 lb.)

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama

If I were doing this, I would probably have some weld on jacks with wheels at the back of the trailer and one on the tongue, if not one on each front corner. Back the trailer as close to linear position as possible, raise the trailer with the jacks, turn the wheels the direction the trailer needs to go and push into position.
This is what I do with my home made scissor lift.
lift.jpg

jacks.jpg

The jacks on the back are extremely handy, if you don't have them. Just pull a pin and the jack comes off or can rotate 90. I haven't looked for this type of weld on with wheels, but I'm sure they are out there or could be fabbed pretty easily. Though, in this case, I would probably have two sets of jacks for the back. Don't know that I would want to load/unload with wheeled jacks. I love being able to load/unload without a tow vehicle attached.
I don't know that this is the best solution, but it would require less manual effort, and that is what I try to avoid!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'll guarantee it would be absolutely impossible to do with my 20' tandem equipment trailer ( empty wt. 3450 lb.)
I agree.

I tried to move my tandem 7k trailer once, and because the tires basically fight each other, it's incredibly difficult to turn by hand.

Unless your built like this...

1686055144618.png

But I am more built like this...

886[1].jpg

• Haha