Post hole auger questions for a BX2380.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
I want to plant some small trees.

Would a post hole auger be good for this?

I'm thinking about a 6" but maybe an 8" would be a better size. Will a BX2380 power an 8" auger?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

I'm thinking about a 6" but maybe an 8" would be a better size. Will a BX2380 power an 8" auger?

Thanks!
BX2380 will have plenty of power. Since a 3ph doesn't have down force, the auger depends on its weight alone for drilling, so it depends on soil conditions. If a second person tries to assist, it can cause a dangerous situation.

The real limitation with the BX is the restricted travel of the 3ph because of its size, but that shouldn't be an issue planting trees.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
not only power and auger width but put some thought into auger length.

I had to shorten an auger for a guy who had a BX cause the auger was too long and not only dragged on the ground when 3pt fully raised it also wouldn't go vertical without digging a pilot hole first. Would have been a real pain in the arse if we didn't shorten it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
not only power and auger width but put some thought into auger length.

I had to shorten an auger for a guy who had a BX cause the auger was too long and not only dragged on the ground when 3pt fully raised it also wouldn't go vertical without digging a pilot hole first. Would have been a real pain in the arse if we didn't shorten it.
This is very true.

On my BX 2200 I was able to drill two new holes in the lift rods about an inch higher than the existing holes which gave me a couple more inches of lift on my three point hitch. It was enough that I can now swing a 6 foot landscape rake around without hitting the ground.

As for auger size, I think larger is better. I have a fourteen inch auger that I use if planting something like a tree. And a 9 inch that I use for the things like 6x6 posts. Works for me… But not on my BX. I use it on my B2910.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I have a Land Pride PD10 with a 9” auger for my BX24. Due to the short auger it comes with, it would only drill 24” deep. I made an 8” extension so that it will now drill 32” deep.
E7963F0F-5E48-4A00-BFB3-F9CA48E949FA.jpeg

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
2 related questions:

#1 - Can you drill down, 24-30" (for example)_bolt on an extension and keep on drilling?

Secondly, if it gets stuck on rocks, is there any way to manhandle it back out?

I have very rocky ground and our frost line goes down probably 4' or so and wish to drill some holes out in the yard for fencing, etc.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
1. yes ... extensions are common
2. more difficult. PTO does not have a reverse so most would decouple the auger from its head then use a "beaker bar" / 4x4 wooden post or whatever you design to torque it in reverse. Best solution to a stuck auger is not to get it stuck .... seriously as you learn how it works don't treat it like a screw/screw gun and drill it as deep as you can in one push.. In material you think is possible stick risk then dig a little down (few inches) then lift the spinning auger with 3 pt to clear auger then go again. Little bits then clear etc..... Keep your foot on the clutch and your right hand on the 3 pt lift lever and if you hear / feel its sticking then clutch in / lift up / spin to clear vanes. the old practice makes perfect is very true when digging post holes. Creep forward (small) helps keep hole vertical on these smaller machines..

cheers

edit: and if stuck and 3pt hitch will not pull it out and a long 4x4 won't twist it out..... then you could always break out the shovel / pick-ax and rescue to bit that way as well!! :)

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I want to plant some small trees.

hmm, how many ,what size and what access ?

kinda open ended.. but check out the cost of renting a true tree auger ( V -shaped ). it could be a LOT cheaper than buying a PHD. trick to renting.... drill hole, move, drill hole, move, ..repeat, when done ,return the tool. While you're returning it, someone else is plopping trees into the holes for you...

size matters. some like 'baby spruces', you use a square shovel and 30 seconds later tree is planted.

one guy uses a subsoiler for the 10,000 he plants every year.

options, always options....

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

Thanks!
While I really wanted to justify a nice PTO auger, I had a hard time passing up the HF 2 cycle gas one for 175 bucks. My use was exactly the same as yours- trees. We planted 8 Green Giant Arborvitae, 5 Sugar Maple and one Blue Spruce. The biggest root ball required three bores and I just shoveled out the loose dirt.
Maybe if we do a fence I can convince the wife to go for the PTO version.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Last fence I did, needed 16 posts, 8' apart. It was CHEAPER for me to have a guy come, use his machine to drill the holes and use his concrete to put my poles in ! He drilled the holes in less time than I'd have taken to get a rental machine.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have a Land Pride PD10 with a 9” auger for my BX24. Due to the short auger it comes with, it would only drill 24” deep. I made an 8” extension so that it will now drill 32” deep. View attachment 95748
I think I’ll make a 12” extension for my (same as yours) PHD set up as well. Just to have the ability to go a little deeper on big posts.

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Last fence I did, needed 16 posts, 8' apart. It was CHEAPER for me to have a guy come, use his machine to drill the holes and use his concrete to put my poles in ! He drilled the holes in less time than I'd have taken to get a rental machine.
Damn! Dude must have stolen the concrete. Lol!
I could do it in a day including pick up and return of the machine. Cheap rental. Less than $140, and the local shop isn't open on Sunday. So pick up Saturday AM and you have it for 2 days. We did my neighbors grilling porch (6 holes) before lunch.

Nate77

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 5, 2023
Indiana
Save yourself some money, and frustration, get the 40 volt Ryobi Earth Auger.

This thing rocks. Kick back prevention, and reverse make it so easy a kid could operate it.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I know the ground here in N Idaho is fine and powdery with lots of rock in places. I can run a 100 post fence line in a couple hours with the Land Pride PD10 on my BX25D. It takes longer to move to the next drill location than it does to bore the hole.
Very easy to plant trees too, which we do every spring. Poke a dozen holes or more, mix up some planting mix and pop in trees. I may only use it a few times a year, but it works great, especially when I’m working alone.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
1. yes ... extensions are common
2. more difficult. PTO does not have a reverse so most would decouple the auger from its head then use a "beaker bar" / 4x4 wooden post or whatever you design to torque it in reverse. Best solution to a stuck auger is not to get it stuck .... seriously as you learn how it works don't treat it like a screw/screw gun and drill it as deep as you can in one push.. In material you think is possible stick risk then dig a little down (few inches) then lift the spinning auger with 3 pt to clear auger then go again. Little bits then clear etc..... Keep your foot on the clutch and your right hand on the 3 pt lift lever and if you hear / feel its sticking then clutch in / lift up / spin to clear vanes. the old practice makes perfect is very true when digging post holes. Creep forward (small) helps keep hole vertical on these smaller machines..

cheers

edit: and if stuck and 3pt hitch will not pull it out and a long 4x4 won't twist it out..... then you could always break out the shovel / pick-ax and rescue to bit that way as well!! :)
100% agree. (y)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Just a hint to try using the inner lift rod pin holes of the lower arms of the 3-point hitch. That increases the up/down range of the 3-point considerably. I've been using a PH15 on my B2650 and with the lift rods in their regular outer pin hole I can't raise the digger tip above the ground. About 6" low.
Afetr switching to the inner lift holes the auger tip now clears the ground by about 3" now.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Poking holes yo plant a row of spruce trees. Yes, the PHD is the best way!
IMG_2036.jpeg

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I know the ground here in N Idaho is fine and powdery with lots of rock in places. I can run a 100 post fence line in a couple hours with the Land Pride PD10 on my BX25D. It takes longer to move to the next drill location than it does to bore the hole.
Very easy to plant trees too, which we do every spring. Poke a dozen holes or more, mix up some planting mix and pop in trees. I may only use it a few times a year, but it works great, especially when I’m working alone.
Wow! I’m impressed. 100 holes in 120 minutes! Amazing! 😂🤣😂

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
It literally takes more time to move and Lind up, than it does to punch holes.