Possible to put backhoe on BX-2370?

silverfeet97

Equipment
Kubota BX-24 in pieces
Jun 4, 2014
Annapolis, MD
I have a Kubota BX-24 with over a thousand hours on it. In March it was hit hard with a tree limb, doing damage to the drive train, dash, steering wheel and (most scarey) breaking the attatchment point of 1/2 of the seat mount, possibly destroying the transmission.

The engine was not damaged at all and ran after the accident. The backhoe was not damaged, or FEL

The repair estimate was $8000 with lots of *** about other potential damage. After receiving $6000 insurance money I went to look at it and was ready to authorize the repairs, when I learned of the seat mount issue/ fears and was warned that it easily take $2000 in labor to find out that transmission is toast ect.

So..... I assumed I could get a used Bx series tractor and mount my fully function backhoe to it...and was told that was not an option....Then I assumed I could purchase the current BX-whatever without the backhoe or FEL and add mine...I was thinking like $12000. But I'm told that option is not possible either as they come off the assembly line with the backhoe, or as the model with the mower and FEL....

1) There is a used BX2360 TM with 300 hours in my budget. But no one seems to know if the backhoe off of the BX-24 could be put on the thing/ how/ how much in crazy labor.

2) Other than cry, if this was your tractor what would you do?

3) Is it possible for me to turn my...working perfectly fine, BX-24 motor into a generator.

4) any market for me to sell the backhoe part I have...again, 100% fine.

Thanks for help. Any leads to other posts like to point me to....

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I wish you luck and I'd be curious how you proceed. No idea about remounting an (apparently) frame-mount backhoe on a differenct machine.

It would not be as efficient, but could your backhoe be mounted on a plate or framework somehow and be 'converted' to a 3-point-type backhoe able to ride on and be hydralically powered another machine?

Backhoes are worth a small fortune. If you advertise you may find another owner that could use it on his machine. Maybe another owner needs your engine for his machine.

Regarding generator: you mention possible / probable transmission problems but don't mention if the PTO works or if you know or are willing to engage it to find out.

If PTO functions you can get a WinPower or other brand that has a PTO-driven generator setup. Just set it on a slab, connect to now-permanently parked tractor, and do a full wiring hookup through a code-rated transfer switch.

If you're talking about using the engine as a power unit hooked directly to generator head at the flywheel I think you'd have a heck of a time getting it to work reliably mechanically, not to mention initial fitup. I see a machine shop and adapters in your future. Somewhere on the web I've seen a machine shop that makes output shaft adapters or converters that had Kubota listed. Do a bit of extensive seraching and you may find what you need.

Cost of a quality 4-pole (waveform stability) generator head matching your horsepower output might set you back a bit. And I don't think you want a bare gen head, because you'll need some way to control engine RPM as the gen senses load.

I've had bad bad experiences with inexpensive (read HF / import) generators and heads. Seems like lifetime is measured in hours to days. Not good in a week-long icestorm. Our record is 27-days. But by then we had a prime-power rated genset, ran continuously.

Can't now remember the company name but Onan several years ago bought a domestic manufacturer of generators that are now used in their product line. I got a quote from them once--the mfg, not Onan--for a replacement head and was surprised how reasonable it was with all the bells and whistles.

What you propose in creating a genset using your existing engine is probably feasible, but not a trivial exercise.

I'm real curious your decision(s), if you proceed, and how it works out. Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ahh according to my dealer ,,NO ,,, seems you have to have a whole lot of undercarriage and they don't sell it separately, but you might be able to scrounge the parts of the dead one and modify the 70, but I don't know that for sure

silverfeet97

Equipment
Kubota BX-24 in pieces
Jun 4, 2014
Annapolis, MD
Thank you for the information and assistance.

In the "of course, this is how life works" department....The day before I crushed the thing. I had 22 tons of gravel delivered, which is sitting doing an excellent job of blocking a bunch of driveway access, like the flat area near my garage and tools where I can work on the thing, or have it towed to deal with it ect!! Ah that life stuff...grrrr!

- so short term I've got to see if I can borrow something from a neighbor to move and spread the gravel and then trailer the thing back here.....

- then be able to take the heavy backhoe off....and I'm just going to tear it apart and see if that transmission part is or is not destroyed.

Other life challenges are all occurring at once and so....if that part is done for I may very well be at the end of being a tractor owning person. If it looks repairable then we'll see. I don't yet have the skills to rebuild, but there are others who can help me that are cheaper than the $80 an hour dealer cost....fingers crossed. Then again, the way life is going at this juncture, it may be the ...sell the damn land and move and not need the tool to begin with. lovely.

Spencerp

Equipment
Kubota BX 2360
Jul 4, 2021
Stafford Va
Thank you for the information and assistance.

In the "of course, this is how life works" department....The day before I crushed the thing. I had 22 tons of gravel delivered, which is sitting doing an excellent job of blocking a bunch of driveway access, like the flat area near my garage and tools where I can work on the thing, or have it towed to deal with it ect!! Ah that life stuff...grrrr!

- so short term I've got to see if I can borrow something from a neighbor to move and spread the gravel and then trailer the thing back here.....

- then be able to take the heavy backhoe off....and I'm just going to tear it apart and see if that transmission part is or is not destroyed.

Other life challenges are all occurring at once and so....if that part is done for I may very well be at the end of being a tractor owning person. If it looks repairable then we'll see. I don't yet have the skills to rebuild, but there are others who can help me that are cheaper than the $80 an hour dealer cost....fingers crossed. Then again, the way life is going at this juncture, it may be the ...sell the damn land and move and not need the tool to begin with. lovely.
Would you be interested in selling the Backhoe, mounting brackets and hydraulic lines I am trying to see if it can be put on a BX 2360.

daves31

Equipment
BX2660
Jul 20, 2021
USA
Would you be interested in selling the Backhoe, mounting brackets and hydraulic lines I am trying to see if it can be put on a BX 2360.
They won't fit. You need the S model for the backhoe. It has a subframe to take the weight of the hoe. Only option for the rest is 3 point hookup 3rd party backhoe.

Reactions: 1 user

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
They won't fit. You need the S model for the backhoe. It has a subframe to take the weight of the hoe. Only option for the rest is 3 point hookup 3rd party backhoe.
I disagree, though I don't know for sure. I think if you had all the subframe parts you could install them onto a BX2370 or BX2670 and have a backhoe tractor. The tractor frame is the same part number between them.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have to assume there's no BX-24s in your area for sale ? That would be the easiest 'fix'.......??
Magnafluxing the tranny would show any hairline fractures,money well spent(insurance money too !!)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Seems like so many people are desperate to add a BH they will buy anything and try to make it fit.

Put out a few ads and try to sell it at full price. Sell the engine too. Expect a LOT of lowball tire kickers. If you have time you will get the cash.

In the alternative you can try and find another tractor used or at the wreckers.