possible snowblower chute motor for us Canadians

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I'm not Canadian, but...... how fast does it run? How much torque does it have?

How fast SHOULD one run?

How much torque SHOULD one have?

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
That is probably a power window motor. I frequently see them when I am in the store. My 10 1/2 HP White (MTD) walk behind blower came with a similar window motor on the chute rotate which constantly froze up from moisture getting inside. I eventually removed it and bought the manual parts for a lower level blower. It worked very slow anyway and with the larger diameter chute on a tractor blower it would be even slower. On my tractor front mount blower I fabbed up a hydraulic chute rotate.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
Lots of people use power window motors for chute rotation with no problem. (I'm in the process of doing that myself). Some have used power seat motors also. My window motor doesn't look like that, but it fits some GM products. Not sure what the one pictured might fit.

RPM and torque needs will vary depending on the individual blower. The type of drive on the chute to be adapted will determine the RPM needed. I think I figured mine would need to turn about 100rpm to give a reasonable turn rate. If I remember, it takes about 20 full turns of the manual crank to rotate lock to lock.

Torque will depend mainly on how easy to turn the chute is. I lubed mine up good this year and it turns really easily now. Should be no problem for the motor when (if ) I ever get it hooked up.Still working out drive couplings, etc.

Once I get it working, I'll probably make some type of cover to help keep it drier. Also going to use a linear actuator for the chute deflector.

Last edited:

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Yes the key would be to keep the electric motor protected from the snow. On my small walk behind, the snow would settle onto the top of it and the heat of the engine would melt it. The moisture would then leak into the gear drive and freeze before I used it again. It had a cover on it but not good enough to keep out all the fine snow. I got tired of heating it up every time I wanted to use it.
I also looked into getting a linear motor for the chute deflector on the large blower but could only find them at Princess Auto up here. They were surplus and did not have any info with them. They were over $100 and I did not want to end up with something that required some strange voltage to operate. Where did you find yours? I found this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-12-vol...187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d0c28eeb

Last edited:

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
I got mine from E bay also, don't recall the vendor, it was over a year ago (you can see it's not an urgent thing for me). If I had seen the one you linked to, I would have snapped it up. I think I paid about $66 for mine, and it is a 6" stroke, with, if I recall, about 110# capacity. At the time it was the most reasonable I could find. I think the seller was advertising them for use on car projects, like opening hoods, trunks, etc.

Keep telling myself to get out and finish this project, but the complete lack of snow this year doesn't seem to make it a priority.

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
I put a window motor on mine. Only time ive had issues is when we got freezing rain and everything froze up.