Possible restore project

G-Man

Equipment
B7500, ZD221
Jul 27, 2012
Excelsior, AR
I know this an Kubota site but here is my goal

I have always wanted to restore a tractor. Well a friend of mine has a JD model 70 diesel 50s vintage that doesn't run cus the head has been off for years. He thinks he has all the parts but not sure. Now for the good news, he said I can have it for free. Just haul it off. Now my question is, what am I in for on this restore? Will it be a money pit and working full time how many years will this take? Thanks in advance.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
First I'd do a little home work and see how much parts are available for that old JD, get an idea whats hard to find and what you can still purchase. How has it been stored? Inside a barn or outside with some ripped up tarp rotting away in the weather?

It could be a short sweet and simple fix then again it could be a massive headache. It all depends on how much you want to tinker with it. How much time and money you want to sink into it. A restoration can be self rewarding or a money pit.

vtmbz

Equipment
b7100, b5100
Oct 27, 2012
lowell vt
A JD forum would be a better resource for this. I think it has a pony motor start. My neighbor has an 720, its a big big machine. Big machines cost big money when they break. Just sayin.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
From glancing over Tractor Data the diesel was only built from 54-56 and only 43,000 of the model 70's were built. And there are 4 total varients of the modle 70. Which leads me to believe the 70 diesel was produced in a small amout. Having a gut feeling if the giver has parts he's missing you might have a hard time tracking them down.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/3/37-john-deere-70.html