Pool Rehab Project Complete

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Hello,

Wanted to share the result of my past 2 summers. This could not have been done without the help of my BX. Just me and my Kubota rebuilt my pool area. First year was spent building a retaining wall then backfilling with 30 yards of stone to extend the pool deck. This past spring I ripped up the old pool deck and put in new pavers. The Kubota hauled in all materials and made it possible for one guy to do this. I had over 20 pallets of hardscape materials delivered. A pallet fork setup off the 3pt brought it right to my work area and the FEL did the rest of the hauling and set a 500lb granite step for me too!

This project alone paid for my BX more than 2 times over. The labor for this job was quoted at $30,000

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/tcrote5516/Pool%20Project/20150618_162657

[URL=http://s567.photobucket.com/user/tcrote5516/media/Pool%20Project/20150618_162657_zpsclskxmyo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/tcrote5516/Pool%20Project/20150618_162657_zpsclskxmyo.jpg

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Very nice! it's a real pleasure to do the job yourself especially when the results are so stunning - not to mention the $ savings.

I see your in NH. Do you get much pool use up there? Do you have a pool heater?

-Mike in FL

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Thanks! We're lucky to live on a hill and our pool gets full sun so it stay's in the low 80's June, July and beginning of August. That's warmer then most around here, not sure why but this one really holds the heat. Last year it hit 87 degrees in August....mmm mmmm toasty for us up here.

It's a short season for sure but we do take advantage of it and use it daily in the summer. I've been debating on installing a solar panel heater (wouldn't bother with gas, I know myself and I'd be to cheap to turn it on :) but the solar could extend us a month on each end if it was large enough.

Me and my wife don't have kids but all the kids in our families are happy to swim when its 70+ so they start the end of May through the beginning of September. You won't see me in the water below 78 degrees:D

Last edited:

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Nice job, looks great.
My last house had a 16x32 above ground with no deck. Anyways I did install a natural gas pool heater, $1k. I dont remember the btu's but when used wisely it really didnt cost too much to run, about $100 month. Pretty much only ran it the extra first and last month like you stated. The kids were still in school so they really only used it on the weekends. The heater would get 1 degree an hour, so I would turn it on Thursday night. By Friday morning/night it was ready to go. Turn it off and put the solar cover on it for the rest of the weekend. It really didnt cool off too much and I only had about 8-10 hours of sun on it. So I only turned it on 1 day a week for the first extra month and last extra month. Also if we had a pool party and it was a little cool, I could turn it on they day before or morning.
One year they were swimming March 1, which is unheard of for mid-illinois.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
TCrote,

AWESOME JOB!

Even with a nice machine, that was hard work! I commend you design improvements in the decking and retaining wall terracing. Great color choices as they go with your house so well. You just added a bunch of value to your home! This project is the kind that Kubota ought to use in their ads. Awesome paver installation too. Cool peripheral pool lighting!

We deconstructed our backyard last year in prep for a pool installation but decided not to do a pool, for a number of reasons, including the drought out here. We are getting the yard reconstruction rolling now and your effort serves as motivation. You worked all summer. We work out here in the winter! :)

Congrats. You will enjoy that for years to come.

Ray

Last edited:

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Slim,

AWESOME JOB!

Even with a nice machine, that was hard work! I commend you design improvements in the decking and retaining wall terracing. Great color choices as they go with your house so well. You just added a bunch of value to your home! This project is the kind that Kubota ought to use in their ads. Awesome paver installation too. Cool peripheral pool lighting!

We deconstructed our backyard last year in prep for a pool installation but decided not to do a pool, for a number of reasons, including the drought out here. We are getting the yard reconstruction rolling now and your effort serves as motivation. You worked all summer. We work out here in the winter! :)

Congrats. You will enjoy that for years to come.

Ray
Thanks Ray and Slim, I appreciate it! I came up wiht the LED rope light idea out of a lack of options for lighting an old pool with no pre-existing lighting. I love how it turned out too!

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
It's a short season for sure but we do take advantage of it and use it daily in the summer. I've been debating on installing a solar panel heater (wouldn't bother with gas, I know myself and I'd be to cheap to turn it on :) but the solar could extend us a month on each end if it was large enough.

Me and my wife don't have kids but all the kids in our families are happy to swim when its 70+ so they start the end of May through the beginning of September. You won't see me in the water below 78 degrees:D
Here in FL solar heaters are popular. I though about installing a solar heater when my pol was built but the cost was high (like $8K) plus I didn't want to drill any holes in my roof (and your supposed to remove the panels prior to high wind storms).
I ended up installing a RayPac "Heat Pump". It's basically a house air-conditioner/heat pump running in reverse (heat goes into pool water and cool air comes out top). It cost less than $3K and the electric cost is not much so I figure I'll come out ahead in the end.

Ironically it turns out the heating the pool in FL is not really needed here as much as cooling it. My July-Sep water temps are in the high 80s just from the sun - so I really need to be cooling the water. Its December now and I can keep the water in the low 80s with only running the heater a few hours in the morning (and while swimming).

rdhamill

Nov 28, 2015
houlton
The results of your efforts is beautiful. I'm wondering if local rules would have you be required to have a railing just behind your chairs. An aluminium rail ( such as Century railings) would look great, but would be costly too.
enjoy

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
The results of your efforts is beautiful. I'm wondering if local rules would have you be required to have a railing just behind your chairs. An aluminium rail ( such as Century railings) would look great, but would be costly too.
enjoy

Well I guess calling the project complete was a bit of an overstatement. I plan on finishing up the top of the wall with either an aluminum railing or a stone knee wall. That will happen this spring once i decide which way to go.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That is really nice,, sooo when ya stockin it with bass?:rolleyes: