Plug repair R4 tire

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I have never plugged a tire but was wondering if there would be any degree of difficulty to plugging an R4 tire on a B2920. I would also like to have suggestions if it will hold properly and if it a "quality" repair.

I used the tractor to assist in tearing down a 2 car garage yesterday and ran into a few nails. However I must say the tractor worked great and saved our backs huge. The little tractor that could / "did".

Any other suggestions on repairing the tire would be great. Any experience with other products please let me know.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I see no problem with plugging the tire as long as you are only plugging the tread and not the sidewall. Generally tire sidewall pluging is not done, They sell plug kits at most Auto stores, TSC has them and you could always get your local auto shop to do it for you if you were not comfortable doing it yourself, Other options are an actual patch on the inside of the tire and putting a tube in the tire. The tube option is probably the more dependable method if the leak is in the sidewall.

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
some tire shops (especially ones that repair truck and construction tires) have a plug/patch combo, it kinda looks like a giant flat thumbtack. And in most cases tire removal is not needed.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Thanks guys... is a patch better than a plug? quality wise?

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Thanks guys... is a patch better than a plug? quality wise?
I have had both and in my opinion they are about the same, The plug is probably the quickest and can be done in the field, I have a plug kit in my tool box, The plug can be put in a tire that is fluid filled without removing the fluid whereas some of the patches do require breaking the bead thus fluid loss, Some do not as firejunkie has stated, The pros of the patch is that it is inside and not subject to wear from contact with surface elements, The plug could possibly be pulled loose in extreme conditions whereas the patch is on the inside not subject to contact with external elements, The cons of the patch is that they do sometimes come loose if they do not adhere properly.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I have had both and in my opinion they are about the same, The plug is probably the quickest and can be done in the field, I have a plug kit in my tool box, The plug can be put in a tire that is fluid filled without removing the fluid whereas some of the patches do require breaking the bead thus fluid loss, Some do not as firejunkie has stated, The pros of the patch is that it is inside and not subject to wear from contact with surface elements, The plug could possibly be pulled loose in extreme conditions whereas the patch is on the inside not subject to contact with external elements, The cons of the patch is that they do sometimes come loose if they do not adhere properly.
Excellent feedback, looks like I will dive into a plug and throw one in the tool box as well.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
I have not had a flat tyre since I started using OkO tyre sealant many years ago.
It goes in anything off road from wheel barrows to tractors and is so good when the tyre eventually wears out and comes off the rim for replacement the inside of it looks like a porcupine with all the bits that have gone through and the oko has sealed them.If they don't sell it your side of the pond,google tyre sealant to see if there is an alternative product.
needless to say this is a preventative measure but can work after some punctures.
The one downside of it,its real messy when you take the old tyre off!

http://okosales.co.uk/faq.htm
Dave

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I have not had a flat tyre since I started using OkO tyre sealant many years ago.
We have some similar products here in the US, One is called Slime,It work OK on most smapp punctures and is an effective antileak somponent to use in tires that are filled with air, Unfortunately they do not work well with liquid ballasted tires, The website for OkO does not state that it will work on liquid ballasted tires but instead recommends the tire be ballasted with OkO. The bulk price for the OkO is L138 for 25 litres which works out to apx $218.00 for 6.6 gallons or $33 per gallon, While it may be a practical solution for non fluid ballasted tires it would probably be too expensive for practical use for fluid ballasted tires of the size used on many tractors discussed on this forum.

Q18. What are un-ballasted pneumatic tyres?

Answer: Un-ballasted pneumatic tyres are tyres without water. Some rear Tractor tyres are ballasted. On occasions, Farmers put water inside the rear Tractor tyre to weigh down the vehicle. In some countries, farmers weigh down a tyre with weights. Ballasting with OKO would be preferable to water, because at least the puncture problem would be eliminated.

Last edited:

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
The way i see it is if people are aware of the alternatives the they can make the choice that suits them and their pocket.
One other thing to consider on the ,ballast with tyre sealant, is it should last the life of the tyre and if the tractor is being used commercially especially in high puncture risk areas there is no down time which should offset some of the initial cost.
Dave