plowing with a bx2360 with a FEL

chief36chevy

Equipment
BX2360
Oct 21, 2018
Annville
I am trying to plow out my driveway with a BX2360 with a FEL in float. When I get on a sidehill my tractor tends to slide downhill until I raise FEL. Would adding weight to the front of the tractor help to plant the front axle into the driveway? If so how much weight do you think I will need?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
You are on the right track. Adding weight to the front will keep your front wheels from lifting as you plow with the FEL in float. I would use at least 100 pounds on the front but prefer to use more than that.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I usually don't plow in float as it tears up my gravel driveway and I lose steering. I'll get the plow even with the ground and then give it two small bumps up. It leaves an inch or so of snow but my driveway doesn't end up in my yard in the spring and I am still able to steer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You may have to pay attention to the room for weight while the FEL is on.

My BX washes around also. You might want to consider chains before weight.

I have chains for the front but haven’t put them on yet.

chief36chevy

Equipment
BX2360
Oct 21, 2018
Annville
You may have to pay attention to the room for weight while the FEL is on.

My BX washes around also. You might want to consider chains before weight.

I have chains for the front but haven’t put them on yet.
I had chains on all four wheels, and it did the same. A friend said I should try it without chains on the front wheels.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am trying to plow out my driveway with a BX2360 with a FEL in float. When I get on a sidehill my tractor tends to slide downhill until I raise FEL. Would adding weight to the front of the tractor help to plant the front axle into the driveway? If so how much weight do you think I will need?
Front tire chains will help steering but may not suffice to overcome gravity on slopes, especially considering the side forces applied from an angled blade.

Be advised that you cannot add front suitcase weights with the FEL attached.

I use steering brakes in such circumstances.

SDT

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I used to plow our long driveway with my BX2380 with the FEL. Plowing in straight lines is what worked for the smaller tractor and momentum, as soon as there was any deviation to the line, it would start to skid the front tires. It may not always be possible but trying altering your line so its perpendicular to the sidehill, plow downhill (so to speak). I always plowed without using the float mode, and a little speed, you need momentum with a lighter smaller tractor. Pay attention to the bucket angle and make small corrections, once you have it set, then leave it. I left a small skim of snow for the first couple times I plowed, now its like concrete, clearing the driveway now is a breeze, I don't even see gravel anymore.

Reactions: 1 user

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Edge tamers certainly might help the cutting edge not digging in. Pro & cons on chains on front tires. I don't think chain would help in your situation. Adding weight to tractor front would be difficult with a FEL. Might want to check with your dealer if tractor still under warranty before installing chains on front. May void the warranty as some manufactures do NOT like to see this done and will NOT cover a warranty issue if they know you were using chains on front. Puts alot of additional strain on the front drive line. Just saying.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I take it you are trying to use the loader as a plow?

If so, I would suggest that you get a back blade to put on the 3PH, angle it, and get some real plow action.

I use a 3PH back blade with my B2910 and have found the loader really only works for me as a loader. I do move piles of snow with it, but never really attempt to plow with the loader.

For me, using the loader as a snow plow does not seem like it would be very enjoyable! Maybe if the area is very small and short...I suppose it could be done without too much pain...

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Loaders of every type have been being used doing snow removal for over 100 years now. No big deal at all.

Float is the main problem.

In float - the boom literally "floats" - sounds great when you want that sweet terrain following action. In practice float is terrible when going forward.

As soon as you encounter any object the "float" will allow the tires to lift (removing contact and traction/steering). As soon as you have any pushing weight involved, the "float" will allow the tires to come off the ground (removing contact and traction/steering). As soon as you encounter terrain level working against the bucket level "float" will allow the tires to come off the ground (removing contact and traction/steering).

For best results as a new user with a bucket removing snow -

Leave the bucket off the ground an inch or so. You will not gouge anything, you will not lose steering. When the bulk of the snow is gone clean as tight as you want, but always try to keep the bucket/boom weight "lifted" enough to put the weight on the front axle.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Loaders of every type have been being used doing snow removal for over 100 years now. No big deal at all. [snip]
It really depends on the circumstances I think. Loader does not work for me as a plow because I have a lot of compound curves and it wants to dig in at one corner or the other. Flat parking lot...maybe fine.

I use gage wheels on the rear blade and have two tilt cylinders, one which has a float function, so the blade follows the contours pretty well.

Now if we got deep snow, then the loader would likely be the only way to get things cleared enough to start using a blade for plowing.

It all really depends on what the circumstances are for each user, in my opinion anyway. Not that that's worth much... :)