Plastic PTO Guard - Chain it ? - or Let it spin..?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When I was a kid in the 50's there were no guards on PTO shafts. Those were the days of PTO equipment and Belt driven machines. We were taught to take responsibility for our behavior and treat the machines as dangerous tools and to use your head and think about what you are doing. I think spinning shafts are reminders to our subconscious of danger. I let the covers spin and I even have PTO shafts with no covers at all.
Think and be responsible is the best way to prevent accidents.

JMHO
Anyone who hasn’t seen videos by the Harmless Farmer should watch this Gentleman. He can do things proficiently I’d probably curse about. The first video shows his capabilities, in the Second video he and his sweet family tell of how it happened when he was a small child watching his Dad working a grain-auger before people became serious about Safety-guards. His Dad turned-away only momentarily ….
This is a story everyone should know:

Hooking up a Grain Cart:

The Day it Happened:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Leave some slack in the chains, they'll wind up a bit on the plastic sleeve then stop its rotation. The front chain in your pic has been shortened too much
The way your pics show the hookup, the geometry of the top link vs the shaft will change as it's lifted, and likely will tighten the chain too much which could be really bad news for the shaft.

Reactions: 1 user

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I chain mine on my bush hog. Helps prevent tall grass getting caught and making a ball of grass around it.
PTO’s are seemingly dangerous
Also never hook or unhook them while the engine is running.