Placement advice of monoblock 2 spool valve on B2650

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
B2650, BH77, SG0660 grapple, pallet forks, Bobcat 60" box blade
Oct 5, 2021
I have another thread going about putting rear remotes on my B2650. I have purchased the P40G-2A1 from summit and I'm slowly putting together the list of fittings and couplers I'll need to get it plumbed in. Some of the decision making is going to be based on where it gets mounted on the tractor. I have two locations I'm considering and I'd love some feedback or suggestions based on that.

I have a backhoe, and my seat rotates to face backwards when using it, so any location would have to take that into account. Pictures are with seat facing forwards and then facing backwards. I'll only ever need to actuate the handles while the seat is facing forwards, I took the seat backwards pics just to show clearance when using the backhoe.

1) Under the seat, mounted on the metal the seat is mounted on
PXL_20230330_223500810.jpg PXL_20230330_223438301.jpg
Pictured here, the handles are facing backwards as is the seat. I rotated the seat forward and backwards and even with fittings attached I do not think it will be in the way, although routing hoses and such may be a challenge in the relatively tight space. There's little chance of hitting the handles accidentally when getting into and out of the seat.
An alternative there is same location, but with the valve handles facing forwards. I can slip my hand between the seat and the right fender to actuate the valves, and it would make routing the hydraulic lines a little easier, probably.
With this setup, the 4 connections for the rear remotes will have to be brought out either to a bracket holding the quick disconnect fittings, or to 4 relatively short hoses holding the disconnects.

2. Mounted on the right ROP.
PXL_20230401_183252036.jpg PXL_20230401_183320215.jpg
The valve handles are a lot easier to reach here as I'm usually turning my head around to the right anyway to see what the box blade is doing. Routing lines would probably be easier, as it's not in a confined space. It is still well clear of the seat, whether forwards or backwards or rotating.

This position would have a definite advantage if I could mount the 4 female quick disconnects directly on the valve body, and would save quite a bit of money doing so. But what I don't know is if there is enough room when they're bunched together like that to be able to get my fingers around the fitting to cause the disconnect. That seems like it would be pretty tight.

I appreciate any suggestions or observations.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have another thread going about putting rear remotes on my B2650. I have purchased the P40G-2A1 from summit and I'm slowly putting together the list of fittings and couplers I'll need to get it plumbed in. Some of the decision making is going to be based on where it gets mounted on the tractor. I have two locations I'm considering and I'd love some feedback or suggestions based on that.

I have a backhoe, and my seat rotates to face backwards when using it, so any location would have to take that into account. Pictures are with seat facing forwards and then facing backwards. I'll only ever need to actuate the handles while the seat is facing forwards, I took the seat backwards pics just to show clearance when using the backhoe.

1) Under the seat, mounted on the metal the seat is mounted on
View attachment 99441 View attachment 99440
Pictured here, the handles are facing backwards as is the seat. I rotated the seat forward and backwards and even with fittings attached I do not think it will be in the way, although routing hoses and such may be a challenge in the relatively tight space. There's little chance of hitting the handles accidentally when getting into and out of the seat.
An alternative there is same location, but with the valve handles facing forwards. I can slip my hand between the seat and the right fender to actuate the valves, and it would make routing the hydraulic lines a little easier, probably.
With this setup, the 4 connections for the rear remotes will have to be brought out either to a bracket holding the quick disconnect fittings, or to 4 relatively short hoses holding the disconnects.

2. Mounted on the right ROP.
View attachment 99442 View attachment 99443
The valve handles are a lot easier to reach here as I'm usually turning my head around to the right anyway to see what the box blade is doing. Routing lines would probably be easier, as it's not in a confined space. It is still well clear of the seat, whether forwards or backwards or rotating.

This position would have a definite advantage if I could mount the 4 female quick disconnects directly on the valve body, and would save quite a bit of money doing so. But what I don't know is if there is enough room when they're bunched together like that to be able to get my fingers around the fitting to cause the disconnect. That seems like it would be pretty tight.

I appreciate any suggestions or observations.
Two points:
  • Rear remotes are most commonly used when the operator is facing forward
  • You do not want the hoses running over top of the handles
Dan

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
I have mine, for TnT, near my 3ph height adjustment lever (right hand side of the seat) so I don't have to swing around or move anything but my lower arm/wrist to go from one to the other.

gg

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Two points:
  • Rear remotes are most commonly used when the operator is facing forward
  • You do not want the hoses running over top of the handles
Dan
The only thing I have in mind for this so far is a hydraulic toplink, and maybe when a hit the lottery, a tilt too. When I'm using the boxblade I'm almost always looking behind to see how it's going and to possibly adjust the height. I figured if I was using the top link to adjust the angle of the box blade that I'd be looking backwards at it while I did that. Do I have the wrong idea about what a hydraulic top link would be good for (I'm asking seriously). I can't picture just driving forward and adjusting the angle of the box blade without watching it.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
I have mine, for TnT, near my 3ph height adjustment lever (right hand side of the seat) so I don't have to swing around or move anything but my lower arm/wrist to go from one to the other.

gg
On a B2650 or other? I agree that would be a good place but I don't see how to do that with the fender there. I'm not aware of anything solid to connect it to there. I'd rather not cut holes in the fender.

For better or worse, I'm definitely using the valve that I got. It's the price point that I could get into rear remotes with. I know that pricier setups would give me more freedom of having the controls separate from the valve, but not in my case.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The only thing I have in mind for this so far is a hydraulic toplink, and maybe when a hit the lottery, a tilt too. When I'm using the boxblade I'm almost always looking behind to see how it's going and to possibly adjust the height. I figured if I was using the top link to adjust the angle of the box blade that I'd be looking backwards at it while I did that. Do I have the wrong idea about what a hydraulic top link would be good for (I'm asking seriously). I can't picture just driving forward and adjusting the angle of the box blade without watching it.
TnT is (universally??) operated with the operator facing forward while looking rearward. Often with the machine in motion.

Dan

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
TnT is (universally??) operated with the operator facing forward while looking rearward. Often with the machine in motion.

Dan
Hah...ok, sorry. When you said facing forward, I thought "LOOKING" forward.

So yes, I only expect to ever use the levers when my SEAT is facing forward (and thus so would I), though I will probably be looking rearwards over my right shoulder while doing so.

I only put in the pics of the seat facing backwards to show the clearance between the seat and the valve when using the backhoe. When the seat is facing backwards (and thus so would I), I do not expect I would ever have to operate those handles.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Can anyone vouch on whether it's practical to operate the 4 QDs if they are mounted directly on the valve? I guess, since I'm going to need them anyway, I should just order them and then I can see for myself via dryfit on my workbench.....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Real life experience with those valves - you cant even mount 1/2" or 3/8" couplers on the ports. The port spacing is to close together. You might be able to squeeze 1/4 inch couplers in but even that would be tight.

I think I gave you a 90/45 degree fitting list that will angle them outward with the rears above the fronts.

Dan

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
This is the location I used. Not ideal for the rear top and tilt but I installed a 3 spool valve and the main use was for the grapple out front. Top and side link were secondary usage. If you are interested, let me know and I can document it once again... 🤪

If I were to do it again, I would not have disconnects to the Top or side links... NEVER needed to change them out. Saves some money.

{Edit} you can get hydraulic hoses with different height fittings so you don't need all the 45* angles that I used!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
This is the location I used. Not ideal for the rear top and tilt but I installed a 3 spool valve and the main use was for the grapple out front. Top and side link were secondary usage. If you are interested, let me know and I can document it once again... 🤪

If I were to do it again, I would not have disconnects to the Top or side links... NEVER needed to change them out. Saves some money.

{Edit} you can get hydraulic hoses with different height fittings so you don't need all the 45* angles that I used!!!!
Thanks for the example, but I don't think that will work for me. Mine are fully for the rear, as I already have a 3rd function on the front. And my valve has to connect into the hoses for the backhoe, which is all already towards the back.

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
Real life experience with those valves - you cant even mount 1/2" or 3/8" couplers on the ports. The port spacing is to close together. You might be able to squeeze 1/4 inch couplers in but even that would be tight.

I think I gave you a 90/45 degree fitting list that will angle them outward with the rears above the fronts.

Dan
If I mount the valve on the ROPS, and used 90 deg fittings to angle the hoses immediately down, would female QDs on the end of 1 or 2 ft long hoses make sense? I would think I could fashion something to keep the half-octupus corralled and out of the way when not in use. I guess half octupus + 1, since the female power beyond for the backhoe would be there too.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
If I mount the valve on the ROPS, and used 90 deg fittings to angle the hoses immediately down, would female QDs on the end of 1 or 2 ft long hoses make sense? I would think I could fashion something to keep the half-octupus corralled and out of the way when not in use. I guess half octupus + 1, since the female power beyond for the backhoe would be there too.
I am on the road right now but when I get back to the house I will see if I can mock up a ROPS mounted cage for your octopus.

Dan

BetterThanAShovel

Equipment
Oct 5, 2021
I am on the road right now but when I get back to the house I will see if I can mock up a ROPS mounted cage for your octopus.

Dan
Thanks, anything that helps me visualize it is great. I'm somewhat limited in my fabrication capabilities (except for wood...I can do things with wood. But that doesn't really help here). I'm thinking I can manage a metal bracket to hold the valve to the ROPS via U-bolts, but that might be the extent. I'm eager to see what you suggest.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks, anything that helps me visualize it is great. I'm somewhat limited in my fabrication capabilities (except for wood...I can do things with wood. But that doesn't really help here). I'm thinking I can manage a metal bracket to hold the valve to the ROPS via U-bolts, but that might be the extent. I'm eager to see what you suggest.
Yes -on the bracket for the valve - pretty easy to mount it just abpve the top od the fender. I have some very inexpensive coupler brackets I made for the ROPS rhat dis not work out for me. Just need to verify they will work fpr you