PIRANAH TOOTH Questions....

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
From much reading on this forum I have just about decided to purchase a BXpanded Piranha tooth blade. I am pretty convinced I should get it for the MX4800 rather than the BX2660 not so much for the power behind it but the weight. I have watched the videos on the BX’s and there seems to be a lot of wheel spinning and back and forth before the brush lets go. My MX4800 is heavy, filled tires and either the back hoe or my 750 lb back blade would be on the stern.

For those with experience with them, I have attached a few photos of what I hope to clear with it. LOTS of black berries which should not be a problem, but I also have a lot of 1 to 4 inch alder saplings. Do you think the Piranha Tooth can deal with these? Would I first cut them down then take up the roots with the blade or attack them as they stand?

I will be falling the larger ones, (4" and above).
I could get in there with my back hoe and tear them up, then hit them with the blade. I have zero experience with a toothed blade.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
M

Attachments

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
My small alders come out easily, so the BX should have little trouble with the alders one at a time. But it looks like you may have 3-6 or more at a time. i'd put the Piranha on the MX.

Don't let them get big before clearing. My 10-12in + in an exposed area stalled a neighbor's small dozer.

Bruce

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
yeah once you get up to 3" trees & bigger? unless the ground is really soft your gonna hurt your toy.

so if you really wanna go for trees that big? put it on the big tractor.

berries, brush, thorns, scrub & stuff up to 2-3"?? you can check out my trail thread & see what i did with a regular B2601..

your BX is a bit lighter than that, but still any regular brush clearing is a piece of cake with it.

tree removal gets to be a different story.

i uprooted several 25'+ tall trees in that 2-3" range with it & then we replanted them in a different location.

PROVEN USER TIP FOR YOU: no matter how big your tractor is... if you plan on knocking down big trees? get them in the CENTER of the bucket/blade combo.... will save you a lot of money on repairs.

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
My advice, buy one for both.

I have been usin mine on a B2601 for a short while and im impressed. Using the teeth to break roots, then backing up, and lifting the bucket up a few feet to push over the tree works for little guys.

I used the BXpanded ripper tooth on my hoe to break up big roots on a 12***8221; mimosa yesterday, and the bar to finish it up quite easily.

That said, the job would be that much faster on a larger machine.

Last edited:

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.
I have one on my L2800 and it works pretty good. It takes time to figure out how to best use it and different types of trees matter as well, plus if ground is wet it is easier. I find it best to hit the tree about 2-3" above the ground. This tends to grab the tree between teeth, this allows you to actually push the tree up instead of digging it up. Tractor is more powerful pushing verses digging or mine is. Sometimes you have to do both. Great tool

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
For me I usually push on the tree 4 or 5 feet up, the teeth hold well to the tree.

Then I place bucket at root ball that has been exposed and lift, most often this is good enough. Wrap strap around base of tree and lift out of ground, shake a few times to remove some dirt and deliver to burn pile.

For small ones I find it easier to just walk through with blade on weed eater and cut them down at ground level. Then either just burn off area or use landscape rake to pile up and burn in place or haul to burn pile.

I mostly have privet bushes trees. I was clearing area near garden where over the years it had moved 20 to 30 feet in towards garden.

I walked through and cut large ones with chain saw and hauled them to burn pile. Medium size ones I use tooth bar to uproot and haul away. Then for small ones hooked up brush hog and mowed the area down. Will burn off area this spring when it dries out.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I have one on my B3200 and it does great with the stuff in my area up to about 2" in diameter. Anything larger, I push over with the bucket or take a stroll through with the chainsaw and drop it.

My main nemesis is the field olive which grows to around 6ft tall, and has nice big spikes. I can go in low and rip them out by the roots. Much of my field has been reclaimed by blackberries, again they are around 4 ft tall. I push them over with the bucket and brush hog them. No issues there at all.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
If you want to get rid of blackberries spray them with Ally in the fall. It will take a few months but they will completely die. If you tear out live ones they will just come back.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Not worried about spraying them down. The main area where they are growing is where my pond will go in this summer. I hogged around 7 acres to get a handle on what I have last year and this year, I will let most of that go back wild and cut some walking trails. The front 5 will stay hay at this point.

At one point I had a motocross course on my property so the tooth bar is helping me move some dirt to the lower spots and fill ruts. If it is close, then the box blade does the trick. I also like the Piranah for cutting in trails in my woods. Does a great job clearing out underbrush. Get it roughed in with the Piranah and keep it nice with the brush hog

lostru

Nov 15, 2011
Arkansas
I have one on my L2800 and it works pretty good. It takes time to figure out how to best use it and different types of trees matter as well, plus if ground is wet it is easier. I find it best to hit the tree about 2-3" above the ground. This tends to grab the tree between teeth, this allows you to actually push the tree up instead of digging it up. Tractor is more powerful pushing verses digging or mine is. Sometimes you have to do both. Great tool
What were your measurements used when ordering? I have an L2800 also and want to make sure I get the right size. Thank you.

Bjones

Equipment
L2800
Apr 23, 2017
walhalla, s.c.
I think it was 64 1/4. Look at their web site, it tells u where to measure, it isn't exact. Suggest you not get the drill bit from them, get it at harbor freight, cheaper. Great tool. Again double check my measurement as outlined in their instructions.