Pin On Pallet Forks For LA344 Loader?

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I have the BX23S with the LA340/344 SSQA loader.
Is there a set of pallet forks I can remove the SSQA portion of the loader and pin the pallet forks on?

I'm trying to get the extra roughly 100 pounds from the SSQA so I can lift slightly heavier logs.
I do chainsaw milling on occasion, so this will help with that.

I'm not interested in a bigger tractor, I like this for the small spaces it fits in.
And the loader/pallet forks normally are fine for me.

I'm not overloading it, the BX with the pin on loader has a close to 100 pound higher weight limit.
I also am aware of the higher pressure mod. I may do that as well, but want to eke every bit I can for this specific job.

Reactions: 1 user

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Do you have a ballast box in the rear? The extra weight in the rear should help your front lift. Just lift it enough so you can move. Move slow. Works good doing this with my 1880.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
No need to remove anything. These are the ones I have on my BX1880 with the 36 inch forks:

Pin on Forks

However, be aware that swapping implements on the BX80 FEL is not as trivial as with the previous generations of the BX because of the new stand system. The video will give you an idea of what is involved. I even had to use clamps in order to get the "C clips" in when I installed my "quick attach".

Video

Last edited:

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Do you have a ballast box in the rear? The extra weight in the rear should help your front lift. Just lift it enough so you can move. Move slow. Works good doing this with my 1880.
BX23S Comes with a backhoe.
And I have ballast in the wheels.

Some of the logs are just too heavy for the loader with the SSQA on it. Some will be too heavy even with just the forks. But I'll be able to lift more of them.

No need to remove anything. These are the ones I have on my BX1880 with the 36 inch forks:

Pin on Forks

However, be aware that swapping implements on the BX80 FEL is not as trivial as with the previous generations of the BX because of the new stand system. The video will give you an idea of what is involved. I even had to use clamps in order to get the "C clips" in when I installed my "quick attach".

Video
I'll have to remove the SSQA attachment.

Is the loader the same otherwise?
The loader with the SSQA just has the SSQA attachment pinned onto it?
That's what I wasn't sure about.

I don't intend to use it all the time, just when I need to move larger logs.

I wonder if my Land Pride forks will fit on that frame? If they will that will save me $500 plus some shipping.
Any chance you could measure the distance between the top of the top mount and the bottom of the bottom mount?
For the forks.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have the BX23S with the LA340/344 SSQA loader.
Is there a set of pallet forks I can remove the SSQA portion of the loader and pin the pallet forks on?

I'm trying to get the extra roughly 100 pounds from the SSQA so I can lift slightly heavier logs.
I do chainsaw milling on occasion, so this will help with that.

I'm not interested in a bigger tractor, I like this for the small spaces it fits in.
And the loader/pallet forks normally are fine for me.

I'm not overloading it, the BX with the pin on loader has a close to 100 pound higher weight limit.
I also am aware of the higher pressure mod. I may do that as well, but want to eke every bit I can for this specific job.
If all you want is another 100 pounds just bump the relief by 60 PSI. You won't be overloading anything and it's a lot easier.

But somehow I don't think you are going to be happy even with an extra 100 pounds.

Dan

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Is the loader the same otherwise?
The loader with the SSQA just has the SSQA attachment pinned onto it?
That's what I wasn't sure about.

I wonder if my Land Pride forks will fit on that frame? If they will that will save me $500 plus some shipping.
Any chance you could measure the distance between the top of the top mount and the bottom of the bottom mount?
For the forks.
The loader should be the same. In the video, he is replacing the factory SSQA with his Quick Attach as a demo.

The distance between the top of the top mount and the bottom of the bottom mount is 16 inches. The thickness is 3/8 inch.

Now, I still say it was not an easy reinstallation back on the pins with the Quick Attach. On one of the bottom pins, I had to clamp everything together in order to get the C clip back in. The rod end of the bucket dump cylinder was misaligned too and that was a pain to align. My FEl does seem to have a "twist" that was included in the price, yours might be straighter.
IMG_20191202_161805467.jpg
IMG_20191202_163635029.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Two off the shelf cylinders will get you thev same 36% increase in lifting force for less than half the cost.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That fit without modifications? Some people don't have the ability to do those, so a custom solution is better for them.
I dont know the clevis dimensions or pin size on a BX but I would think they would fit without any problem. The four aftermarket cyIinders I put on my B7200/B1630 fit like a glove.

All he has to do is measure the old ones to know for sure.

Dan

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
This isn't for one particular job.
Since I'm milling for boards/slabs bigger is better. In general I don't want to cut the log any more than I have to.

If all you want is another 100 pounds just bump the relief by 60 PSI. You won't be overloading anything and it's a lot easier.

But somehow I don't think you are going to be happy even with an extra 100 pounds.

Dan
Thank you (again) for the links and suggestions. I do appreciate it.

I'll probably bump that up some too.
I'd like to eke every bit I can safely get out of this.

If you do enough stuff no one tool will do it all for you.
I have somewhere around 15 different circular saws.
From a tiny 12V Milwaukee I don't ever use to a 16" worm drive I use for certain things. And a lot in between. They (almost in this case) all have their uses.
I've cut logs you'd need a full size excavator to move (happened to have a buddy clearing his backyard so I got to watch in action). I've also cut "logs" I could manhandle myself.

I'd happily keep just the SSQA for the convenience, but if I can get more for certain situations I want it.
I just want to maximize the work I get out of this.

How much is something like this going to overstress the front?
I do want the tractor to last.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
How much is something like this going to overstress the front?
I do want the tractor to last.
The kit simply increases lift cylinder bore from 1.5" to 1.75".

Basic physics tells you that at the same hydraulic pressure the cylinder force is increased by 36%.

Whether or not that over stresses anything is a far more complicated question.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I'm concerned with how much weight the front suspension and loader arms can handle.
Plus associated pivot points.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Speaking of log size, the log in my avatar was so heavy my buddies full size excavator couldn't fully lift it.
Had to drag it.
Roughly 5 feet at the base, 4 foot diameter 16? 18? foot red oak log.
I had to chop the base off so I could mill with a 52" bar.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm concerned with how much weight the front suspension and loader arms can handle.
Plus associated pivot points.
At a minimum 2X more than the weight of the tractor, loader, and the rated payload.

Industry standard (regulatory) safety factor for lifting equipment is 3:1 minimum and that loader and its support mechanism sure qualifies as lifting equipment.

Dan

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
option 'j'
have a weld/fab shop make custom pin-on forks. say 1.5x3 tubing or -channel, with 'tabs' to pin onto the 4 loader points. Use the SSQA plate as a reference for where the tabs get placed. They'll know what size steel to use, only need to lift 700# ( 350 each side)....

also might consider upgrading tires to Kenda brand ?514 ???More plys and 1000# cap.

update:.... did some rough dwg and math... using 1.5 x 3 x .125 tubing, 2' long forks, frame 2' tall, 3' wide +- requires 14' of steel which will weigh about 60 # +-. Also need 6 'tabs'(1# each) and a vertical,center post(5# ) So 'all in' pin-on forks would weigh 70#.

Last edited:

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Jay, that's a great suggestion.
Most decent shops up here are a LOT of money. And I don't have time to track down the steel and weld it my self.
At least not right now.
I may end doing it or I may just order that frame at a later date.
One thing at a time.
I want to get my auger running first.

The loader should be the same. In the video, he is replacing the factory SSQA with his Quick Attach as a demo.

The distance between the top of the top mount and the bottom of the bottom mount is 16 inches. The thickness is 3/8 inch.

Now, I still say it was not an easy reinstallation back on the pins with the Quick Attach. On one of the bottom pins, I had to clamp everything together in order to get the C clip back in. The rod end of the bucket dump cylinder was misaligned too and that was a pain to align. My FEl does seem to have a "twist" that was included in the price, yours might be straighter. View attachment 115996 View attachment 115997
I meant to thank you for spending your time checking on this; totally forgot.
You even measured the thickness, which I forgot to ask for too.
It looks like my forks will attach to that, which helps a bunch.
I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 users

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England

Now, I still say it was not an easy reinstallation back on the pins with the Quick Attach. On one of the bottom pins, I had to clamp everything together in order to get the C clip back in. The rod end of the bucket dump cylinder was misaligned too and that was a pain to align. My FEl does seem to have a "twist" that was included in the price, yours might be straighter. View attachment 115996 View attachment 115997
You mounted the Redline pallet forks to your BX1880?
What did you do about the 2 lower pins?

The Redline pins aren't long enough and don't have the reduced end to fit the pivots for the stand.
The Kubota pins can't be used because of the design of the Redline fork frame. The Kubota pins sit too far out, the frame pivots won't attach to the pins.
And incidentally there's no hole to bolt in the Kubota pins.
I'll get some pictures up at a later date.

I'm aware the frame can be machined so the pins will work, I don't see a way to make them work without modding it?
I've already spoken to Matt? from Redline, he took care of me. So A+ for their customer service; wondering if there's something he or I missed?

I do see in the Ai2 video you posted they make their own pins to fit, I wonder if those would work.