Picture of your tractor on your trailer

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Here's a few pics of the new trailer that I picked up today. I'll get some with equipment loaded next time.

New Trailer 1.JPG

Fork Holder Pockets (look closely under the rub rail).

New Trailer 2 Fork Holder.JPG

New Trailer 3.JPG

New Trailer 5.JPG

Reactions: 7 users

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
What NOT to do, load on a downhill with gravel, cantilevers the backend of the truck up, took me for a 50' unintended ride with no weight in the backend of my dually, stopped by itself, with no casualties. Thank God.

Reactions: 1 users

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
IMG_20220219_110549361.jpg

This is our B2650 loaded on the trailer for its ride to the house.
I was looking for a little bigger tractor but got a good deal on this one.
I have used it to clean the driveway a couple of times and the snow blower has save my back already. Not having to spend a couple of hours walking behind the snow blower

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
What NOT to do, load on a downhill with gravel, cantilevers the backend of the truck up, took me for a 50' unintended ride with no weight in the backend of my dually, stopped by itself, with no casualties. Thank God.
Sounds like you need to block up the back of the trailer to keep it from picking up the back of your truck.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Glad no harm done. Have seen several situations where that ended in a jackknifed mess.

That’s one thing I do NOT like about my trailer. Doesn’t have the ground brace ramps like dirtydeed’s above, so I have to put jackstands under the back of the trailer to load/unload and block the trailer wheels just in case something gets weird. I don’t trailer a lot. If I did it would be quite irritating.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here's the MX6000 HST that I sold last month on the 22' MidSota trailer heading to a friend's to unload round bales. Great tractor, great trailer and a great 20 year old truck still going strong. I have new hubs arriving Monday to replace the factory ones that are wearing out. I only got 156k miles out of them ... junk!
mx6000_hst_midsota.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Sounds like you need to block up the back of the trailer to keep it from picking up the back of your truck.
Yep. Use wheel chocks on the trailer wheels as well. Trailer may still lift rear of truck, but the chocks will keep it from running away from you.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Those pallet fork pockets are neat.
Luckily I just asked about the fork carriers when I was placing my order. They don't list them as an option, but will do them for new builds for $300. When I asked them why not, he told me that they are trying to stay away from any "customizations" since that puts them at approx 10 weeks for completion. My trailer was 5 weeks from order to pick up.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Question for folks regarding a trailer purchase and tractors...

I plan to buy a utility trailer regardless, for hauling to the landfill, lumber, loose material, hay, etc. Figured it'd be nice if it could haul the tractor to the dealer if needed, but don't plan to regularly trailer it.

Would it make sense/be valuable to trailer it without the loader? I'm looking at 7k rated 16' tandem axle, and the 4701 will be about 5500lbs with loader and loaded tires, so I'd likely be a few hundred pounds over if I don't account for tongue weight, but would be totally within limits if I drop the loader.

Really not eager to drop another $1k for the 10k rated trailer, and if I weren't ever going to haul the tractor, may drop down to a 14 foot tandem instead.

(yes, my truck can pull it and I'll have brakes on both axles)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Luckily I just asked about the fork carriers when I was placing my order. They don't list them as an option, but will do them for new builds for $300. When I asked them why not, he told me that they are trying to stay away from any "customizations" since that puts them at approx 10 weeks for completion. My trailer was 5 weeks from order to pick up.
I must admit, I'd like that feature on my MidSota trailer. I bought it used but would have chosen that option if I were ordering a new one. I guess I could add that feature fairly easily.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I must admit, I'd like that feature on my MidSota trailer. I bought it used but would have chosen that option if I were ordering a new one. I guess I could add that feature fairly easily.
Sure could, they welded in some square stock about the length of my forks. But, as you can see in the pic, they cut the holes through the main C channel. If you tacked on something below the frame, I would think it would be just fine as well.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

I plan to buy a utility trailer regardless, for hauling to the landfill, lumber, loose material, hay, etc. Figured it'd be nice if it could haul the tractor to the dealer if needed, but don't plan to regularly trailer it.

Would it make sense/be valuable to trailer it without the loader? I'm looking at 7k rated 16' tandem axle, and the 4701 will be about 5500lbs with loader and loaded tires, so I'd likely be a few hundred pounds over if I don't account for tongue weight, but would be totally within limits if I drop the loader.

Really not eager to drop another $1k for the 10k rated trailer, and if I weren't ever going to haul the tractor, may drop down to a 14 foot tandem instead.

as I recently found out, I wish that the trailer manufacturer that I just bought from offered a 22 footer in 10K. 16 feet is really short (I have a 7K landscape trailer that is 16 feet). It works if I only have a short attachment on my little B series tractor. I also have to turn the hoe sideways in order to get the ramps/gates closed. A 16 ft trailer doesn't give you much wiggle room in adjusting weight distribution either. You'll be hosed for sure if you ever needed to trailer with a three point implement like a cutter.

Utility (landscape) trailers can be handy, but I'd prefer an equipment trailer. You can always build some sides that will slip into the stake pockets if hauling loose material. You can also side load pallets/lumber on an equipment trailer. Tough to do on a landscape trailer.

maybe take a peek here: https://www.appalachiantrailers.com/

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
You'll be hosed for sure if you ever needed to trailer with a three point implement like a cutter.

Utility (landscape) trailers can be handy, but I'd prefer an equipment trailer. You can always build some sides that will slip into the stake pockets if hauling loose material. You can also side load pallets/lumber on an equipment trailer. Tough to do on a landscape trailer.
Thanks for the input.

Hauling with an implement on the 3pt isn't a use case I care to optimize for, vs all the others...I expect hauling the tractor to be rare, but being an engineer I always want to optimize/find a single solution that works for everything :)

The trailer manufacturer I'm looking at (Lone Wolf) makes an equipment trailer with the same sides/rail as their utility trailer, just beefier axles and frame. So from a function point of view it'd be the same, just beefed up in all ways. But the utility/7k trailer would work for my common usage. I've not priced it, but I assume I can upgrade to 5k axles on that without upgrading everything else (frame, coupler, etc) for less, but I'm not sure it'd make sense to upgrade the axles without the frame being beefed up to support more weight.

Anyway, mostly curious to hear if folks think there's a scenario where hauling the tractor with a 7k 16' trailer (likely without loader) would be useful. If not, I'll stop trying to think of the lighter trailer as a possible tractor-hauler, and either go for a utility trailer for utility trailer things, or the equipment trailer (for more $$$) to handle all the scenarios I can see caring about.

Also, feel free to tell me this isn't the place to ask/I should start a thread. This just seemed a good place to try to jump in!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
T300 bringing it home from Boston.jpg

Not a tractor but its got a Kubota engine

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Thanks for the input.

Hauling with an implement on the 3pt isn't a use case I care to optimize for, vs all the others...I expect hauling the tractor to be rare, but being an engineer I always want to optimize/find a single solution that works for everything :)

The trailer manufacturer I'm looking at (Lone Wolf) makes an equipment trailer with the same sides/rail as their utility trailer, just beefier axles and frame. So from a function point of view it'd be the same, just beefed up in all ways. But the utility/7k trailer would work for my common usage. I've not priced it, but I assume I can upgrade to 5k axles on that without upgrading everything else (frame, coupler, etc) for less, but I'm not sure it'd make sense to upgrade the axles without the frame being beefed up to support more weight.

Anyway, mostly curious to hear if folks think there's a scenario where hauling the tractor with a 7k 16' trailer (likely without loader) would be useful. If not, I'll stop trying to think of the lighter trailer as a possible tractor-hauler, and either go for a utility trailer for utility trailer things, or the equipment trailer (for more $$$) to handle all the scenarios I can see caring about.

Also, feel free to tell me this isn't the place to ask/I should start a thread. This just seemed a good place to try to jump in!
Since you mentioned not actually having the tractor yet, thought a few pics of a L4701 on a 16’ trailer might be helpful. By the time you load the rear tires or add wheel weights, loader, implement, etc. you’re on point with tractor weight. I’ve never trailered it without the loader, but I think it’s pretty obvious it would fit with loader and rear implement removed. It’s REALLY tight with loader and just a box scrape. Chipper and grapple, it’s really too short. I don’t trailer much, it pulls great, and have $750 in getting mine roadworthy so no complaints. It has two 7K each axles so weight isn’t an issue.

I have heard some indicate a “16’ trailer” doesn’t have a 16’ deck as it’s measured from some odd point to some other odd point that sounded like it was determined by marketing rather than engineering. My trailer’s deck is 16’ long.

Attachments

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion

I will never buy another trailer with 3500lb axles. The inner wheel bearings have zero shoulder to seat against when you consider the large radius on the bearing. The 2-3/8” axle tubes are pathetic and the electric brakes are marginal. After going to the expense of upgrading the axles, I won’t be doing that again. Bent axles, brake drum replacements and wasted Chinese bearings are history for me.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

10K ONLY!
Bigger brakes/bigger tires/heavier axles, stronger overall construction.
You will ALWAYS find new ways to overload a 7K trailer with a 5.5K tractor!
I am an engineer too (Civil).

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I tow a lot and all I can say is once you go tilt-deck you will never go back. No more ramps!

At times I wish the 22ft was a 24ft.

NH-Tractor-Work.jpg