Picked up a nail in the rear - DIY Plug or take it in?

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
There is no need to remove the tire from the wheel. .. these are low speed off road tires. Use a standard string repair, available with tools and glue for $10 or so. About 2 years ago I stuffed about six or eight 8” into my RR R-4 crown area when I picked up a pin from a sliding barn door roller. Still holding, calcium filled. View attachment 82430
I use the same thing, just inherited the reamer and plug tool from my pop years ago. Typically they last a long time inflow speed applications and I can't honestly say I've had an issue with them in an "emergency" situation, on the road. If nothing else they get you back to the shop to do a proper patch/patch plug. Wouldn't worry about it in a tractor.

Mountainhill

Equipment
l2501 (l3800 2013/22), Box Blade, post hole digger, Leon's rear blade
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
There is no need to remove the tire from the wheel. .. these are low speed off road tires. Use a standard string repair, available with tools and glue for $10 or so. About 2 years ago I stuffed about six or eight 8” into my RR R-4 crown area when I picked up a pin from a sliding barn door roller. Still holding, calcium filled. View attachment 82430
I have a L3130. I was mowing over by the neighbors and evidently, they tossed a small piece of 2x4 with a framing nail punched through and pointing up. My rear picked it up and when I removed it, the air gushed out.

Now, I see some use a plug to fix it and others say have it patched. What's the best route for a permanent fix?
I had an older L-3800 , R-1 , tires. Plug did not work as tires were tubed. Front were tubeless, plugged a few times.
Check with dealer who sold to you?

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I frequently get holes in the front tires from hawthorn bush spikes. I have just plugged them myself from the outside without any issue. I have used slime in the past with out any success. Holds for a bit but put any weight on front end and they pop out. I also used it in my smaller jd345 mower. Slime holds for a while and then pops out as well resulting in a flat. You can spin the tire, fill with air and it will hold air until the next time it decides to pop. Just not worth the hassle since plugging is so easy.

Reactions: 1 user