Phone charging cable?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I bought a charging cable for my phone and it is noticeably slower than other cables. Anybody know what could cause this, is length a factor? The new slow one is 9 feet and my others are in the 3 feet range.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If it's a low amp charger, length could be a factor.

Reactions: 1 user

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Length is probably not a factor. Is it a USB cord that plugs into a little wall wart or is it a wall wart and wire all in one?
It's probably just a low amperage charger. There's "standard" chargers which are usually around 1.1 amps and then there are "superchargers" (what they call it depends on the manufacturer) that are around twice that. The phone will usually tell you that it's plugged into a supercharger, though.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Length is a factor also cables are rated for different wattages as well. If you look at the USB C spec there are cable ratings of everything from 15W to 100W and even a future spec that can output 240W. The best way to tell is by the cable amp/voltage rating. take the Amps*Volts and you'll get watts. The bigger the number the more power it can supply. However, there are also other factors like length and what sort of fast charging tech your phone uses. Here is a quick video that explains that mess:

and here is a link to an article outlining the different specs of USB PD 1.0 and 2.0:

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
charging from 'what' ?
A plug in the wall charger/adapter or a PC ??
There is a HUGE difference.
If talking about a USB port on a PC, it can easily be that the USB port setup has changed and will NOT allow 'fast' charging ? if the cable is 'smart' , what is it set for ??
Then there's which USB ? USB1,1.1,2.0,3.2,4.1,???
Oh yeah..which phone and HOW is it setup to charge ? How many aps are installed and running ? ALL running aps consume power and will slow down the recharge rate/time.
Easily 101+ reasons for 'slower' recharge time...

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Thanks for the replies. It is probably the USB or length because I used the same charger with all the cables. I got the 9 footer on sale so it very well could be an inferior older USB. I'll just keep it for emergencies, it does work just very very slow.
The charger is a wall plug unit and it works great with the other cables.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Cables do matter.
Some are not designed to carry power on BOTH sides of the USB plug that goes into the phone. Because of this, only 1/2 of the total amperage is conducted. Only cables made for 'fast charging' carry power on both sides. Be aware that they are for charging only and often do not work for data transport. Length rarely is the issue.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
With cheap no-name cables (Amazon, I'm looking at YOU!), length is an issue. They use smaller conductors. Many are not compliant with the USB specification. (For a few years I did device testing for one of the Big 3 cellular carriers. This is my bread and butter. I still have about a gazillion wall warts around.)

You get what you pay for.