Permeable Paver Systems

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Has anyone used stuff like this before?

https://www.ndspro.com/permeable-pavers

I am trying to determine what to do with a steep lake property I have. I need to accomplish a couple of things.

1. Come up with a driveway that is better than gravel.
2. Create a path on a steep slope that is good for walking on, driving a tractor/quad on, and will not erode (as much)

For the driveway. Concrete would be the best (expensive) followed by paving (still not cheap). I Would still have the issue of sheet water running down the hill. This can be diverted with catch basins and pipes, but that would be a nonstop shot into the lake. I am sure the county would frown upon this.

I am not a huge fan of the way these paver driveways look, but I need to do something. 5/8"- is not cutting it, and keeps my truck messy.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Never really seen something like that - hell that is brilliant!!! Still a bit pricey, but then again, anything not expensive is not worth a crap!

What would happen if small pea gravel was thrown into the grids? Would it stay or end up down the hill too??

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Has anyone used stuff like this before?

1. Come up with a driveway that is better than gravel.
2. Create a path on a steep slope that is good for walking on, driving a tractor/quad on, and will not erode (as much)

What the slope angle of drive and the slope to the water?

My side yard has a 23 degree slope - my b7100 will climb it and cut it, but I would not want to walk up and down the sum beach a lot!!!!:p:)

Mtmoriahfarm

Equipment
M8540,BX24,Takeuchi tb235
Feb 16, 2017
Rhode Island
Used a product similar to that on a parking lot job for a land trust last year. We were on the edge of a wetland and couldn't use asphalt. As I remember we had to put down a deep stable base, level it,then put the grid work down. It went together easy enough but was tuff on the knees. We filled the grids and compacted it. Looked nice when done. One thing about it if you are in snow country it is highly recommended that you use a rubber plow edge on it.

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Used a product similar to that on a parking lot job for a land trust last year. We were on the edge of a wetland and couldn't use asphalt. As I remember we had to put down a deep stable base, level it,then put the grid work down. It went together easy enough but was tuff on the knees. We filled the grids and compacted it. Looked nice when done. One thing about it if you are in snow country it is highly recommended that you use a rubber plow edge on it.
What did you fill with?

My slope varies from steep to about 26 percent at steepest. ( I may not use that route though.)

Mtmoriahfarm

Equipment
M8540,BX24,Takeuchi tb235
Feb 16, 2017
Rhode Island
We filled it with some very small crushed stone. It is flat sided as compared to pea gravel. Less likely to move around that way. Then skim coated it with sand.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was wondering about the pea gravel :rolleyes: Neighbor put some down in his driveway. Stuff would never pack. Figure you would need something small, but with fines in it as well, so after its compacted it would give a good durable surface :)

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I just priced the 2x2 panels, cost more than 5" concrete. Id imagine the bulk roll would be cheaper, but Im not tracking it down locally.