Pallet style Carry-all to haul screened top soil

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
top soil in my area is quite expensive. so I purchased a 4x8 piece of extruded steel mesh for a dirt screen. My intention is to screen the spoil from ditches and other dirt works. I do not have a trailer and have no intention of removing the backhoe to put a hitch on. So I am thinking about building a dirt carry all that I can move and dump with the forks. I can position the bucket to catch the rocks and let the dirt fall in the carry all. One thing I know for sure is if I thought of it someone else has already built it. So my question is has anyone built a dirt carry-all to move and dump screened dirt and is willing to share a picture. thank you

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
What a lot of guys do is put the screen on an angle (45*) on a raised platform,with a 'skirt' on the 3 sides but NOT the 'tall' side. You slowly dump a bucket of 'fill' onto the screen,dirt goes through to make a pile, rocks/debris slides off. Once there's enough 'good' fill, you haul away using your tractor's bucket.
You an see 100s of this 'presorting' setup online used for gold miners.
I don't know how much larger a 'forkable box' could be compared to your bucket, dirt's kinda heavy ! For more volume though you 'might' be able to add bucket height extenders. I've seen them on guys moving lightweight material like mulch and sawdust.
5 years ago I designed a 'mini soil rotary trommel'. It's the fastest and most efficient way to sift huge volumes of 'fill' into piles of 'good' versus 'bad'.
Two ways to get 'fill'....Sort where the raw material is located or haul it to a central 'sorting' station. You'll have to decide which is best for you,but sounds like good ''dirt' will be used away from the source(ditch..) so a 'central sorting station would be better. You'd have a pile of good dirt and a pile of rocks.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
top soil in my area is quite expensive. so I purchased a 4x8 piece of extruded steel mesh for a dirt screen. My intention is to screen the spoil from ditches and other dirt works. I do not have a trailer and have no intention of removing the backhoe to put a hitch on. So I am thinking about building a dirt carry all that I can move and dump with the forks. I can position the bucket to catch the rocks and let the dirt fall in the carry all. One thing I know for sure is if I thought of it someone else has already built it. So my question is has anyone built a dirt carry-all to move and dump screened dirt and is willing to share a picture. thank you
Does your carry all have sides? I am not sure how it would work but if you have a carry all with sides, maybe put some tight know metal grating / mesh across it from side to side and dump the soil on top and let it sift into the carry all. Then I’d attach it to SSQA with a universal adapter. I have an adapter that I can use my carry all on front and back and it works pretty well. Depending on how heavy the carry all is may not have to much capacity left though. But I am not sure exactly what you are thinking?

Attachments

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
What a lot of guys do is put the screen on an angle (45*) on a raised platform,with a 'skirt' on the 3 sides but NOT the 'tall' side. You slowly dump a bucket of 'fill' onto the screen,dirt goes through to make a pile, rocks/debris slides off. Once there's enough 'good' fill, you haul away using your tractor's bucket.
You an see 100s of this 'presorting' setup online used for gold miners.
I don't know how much larger a 'forkable box' could be compared to your bucket, dirt's kinda heavy ! For more volume though you 'might' be able to add bucket height extenders. I've seen them on guys moving lightweight material like mulch and sawdust.
5 years ago I designed a 'mini soil rotary trommel'. It's the fastest and most efficient way to sift huge volumes of 'fill' into piles of 'good' versus 'bad'.
Two ways to get 'fill'....Sort where the raw material is located or haul it to a central 'sorting' station. You'll have to decide which is best for you,but sounds like good ''dirt' will be used away from the source(ditch..) so a 'central sorting station would be better. You'd have a pile of good dirt and a pile of rocks.
thank you Greenville my original plan was to make the screen setup portable. and move the rock or dirt as needed. but if I do the pallet box for the dirt and the bucket for the rock I will need to get in from both sides so a stationary set up will be better. I will not be doing a lot I just want to get some value from the spoil as the rock is extreme but once screened the top soil is pretty good. I can use the rock and I can use the soil but the two mixed is just a mess.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Does your carry all have sides? I am not sure how it would work but if you have a carry all with sides, maybe put some tight know metal grating / mesh across it from side to side and dump the soil on top and let it sift into the carry all. Then I’d attach it to SSQA with a universal adapter. I have an adapter that I can use my carry all on front and back and it works pretty well. Depending on how heavy the carry all is may not have to much capacity left though. But I am not sure exactly what you are thinking?
thank you RC51, I have not built the pallet carryall yet. I want to use the forks to move and dump it at least that is what I am thinking. I want to use the backhoe to lift the spoil onto the screen then have the rocks end up in the bucket and the top soil end up in the pallet carry all for transport. the other way would be more convenient and may be a better method I will have to play around with it.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can also get a rock bucket to help get the rock out of the dirt and also break it up some before you screen it . I assume you can use these to dig up the rock and then not have so much of a pile to sort out

I think you intend to try and get the soil into a box a then move it in the box with the front end loader. What is the advantage to doing that instead of the tilted screen where dirt ends up on one side and rocks on the other side and scooping them with the bucket to move them?

if the screen is flat then you will have to move the mixture around to get the dirt to fall through

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
You can also get a rock bucket to help get the rock out of the dirt and also break it up some before you screen it . I assume you can use these to dig up the rock and then not have so much of a pile to sort out

I think you intend to try and get the soil into a box a then move it in the box with the front end loader. What is the advantage to doing that instead of the tilted screen where dirt ends up on one side and rocks on the other side and scooping them with the bucket to move them?

if the screen is flat then you will have to move the mixture around to get the dirt to fall through
Thanks Russell I did not think about the grapple I did get some of the bigger rocks out with the grapple when I dug out the sea shed slab. I guess I am trying to find an easy way to get the dirt out from under the screen without having to scoop it out but maybe just keeping it simple will be better.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks Russell I did not think about the grapple I did get some of the bigger rocks out with the grapple when I dug out the sea shed slab. I guess I am trying to find an easy way to get the dirt out from under the screen without having to scoop it out but maybe just keeping it simple will be better.
I guess you can build a slanted wall that will guide the dirt somehow so it isn’t under the screen???

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
googled 'dirt screen', images..
millions of them....
LOTS of options !!

I like this design as it's EASY to move...

you end up with a windrow or rock and another of dirt, just use bucket to haul as required....

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
thank you - I was thinking about using the forks to move the pallet built carry all
I think I now understand what you are looking for

Google "dump bin" or "self dump hopper"

ULINE has them $$$$. You will need to find a small one your SCUT can lift.
ULINE has lots of forklift dunnage options.

Attachments

Last edited: