Pallet forks

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Looking to get pallet forks for a MX5400.
I know there are a lot of guys who don’t like Titan attachments.
Without getting into that, or the “made in America” debate which set of forks below would you choose.
The forks on the left are rated at 4000lbs frame is rated 6000lbs wt is 381lbs price is $824 delivered.
The forks on the right are rated at 4000lbs frame is rated 4000lbs wt is 311lbs price is $909 delivered.
The one on the right is 70lbs lighter
$85 more expensive but may give a better few of the forks without the added plates on the back of the frame.
1671818398466.png

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am not really sure but the couple questions that come to mind (based on the couple pair of forks I have have) for me are…

Do you only plan to use them on the MX exclusively?

Is their a difference in either the width/length or load rating on the tines themselves?

Does either have a step on the frame?

Does either have notched out area to hold a chain?

If only using for the MX I think the weight difference between the two is sort of negligible….assuming you have similar visibility as I do on my MX (R4s), I’d recommend what allows you to see the tines the best…if I were doing over I’d get longer tines simply for the visibility when approaching a pallet.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The ones on the left look stronger, not sure why they're cheaper. I presume you could replace the forks with 6,000lb forks if the frame is rated to that.

The ones on the right may be more expensive because they're using higher grade steel, hard to tell.

It probably depends what you're doing. No doubt either will work just fine. And the difference in price isn't much. Are they both available for immediate delivery?

Being imported and the way Titan work, there may be no actual reason for the difference in price - they may come from different factories and just happen to be different prices rather than it indicating one is better than the other.

When I look online at the moment, with 36" blades, the orange ones are $764, the black ones $787.

The black ones are a bit taller on the frame, a little more protection.

Overall, to me the black ones look like better buying - a bit stronger, a bit taller. But yes, a bit heavier and harder to see through.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious.. have to ask
What is the capacity of your loader ? if it'll only lift say 2500#, no need for 4000# forks as you can't lift the extra 1500#.
I like the orange/blk right one... better visibilty, though the left one does allow a fork to be dead center.
Now depending on your main purpose, the length of the forks may be important. Most of the skids I deal with are 42" deep, so even 36" long forks are 'ok' . Usually shorter forks will be less expensive.

Reactions: 1 users

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Thanks for the replies.
Both are priced with 48” forks, figuring the longer length would give a better view of the fork tips.
They are both over the rated lift capacity for the MX but for the price difference I have seen on lighter duty ones I can buy locally the $824 for the heavier ones seems to be a bargain.
I also like the 2” hitch receiver built into the frames.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the replies.
Both are priced with 48” forks, figuring the longer length would give a better view of the fork tips.
They are both over the rated lift capacity for the MX but for the price difference I have seen on lighter duty ones I can buy locally the $824 for the heavier ones seems to be a bargain.
I would choose NEITHER of your options!

In both cases the fork thickness is not flush with the headrack.
In my opinion the face of the fork should be flush with the headrack.
This is important if you should pick up any top heavy item, as it will want to lean back, possibly being damaged.
My EA forks ARE FLUSH with the face of the headrack.

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If the heavier duty ones are heavier, you are giving up lift capacity.

That's a nice touch, if you have need of it.

Reactions: 1 user

matt-m

Equipment
2022 B2601
Mar 17, 2022
Columbus, IN
I've got the set on the right and they do fine on a B2601. I'm using for things well within machine capacity and nothing particularly delicate so keep that in mind.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I am not really sure but the couple questions that come to mind (based on the couple pair of forks I have have) for me are…

Do you only plan to use them on the MX exclusively?

Is their a difference in either the width/length or load rating on the tines themselves?

Does either have a step on the frame?

Does either have notched out area to hold a chain?

If only using for the MX I think the weight difference between the two is sort of negligible….assuming you have similar visibility as I do on my MX (R4s), I’d recommend what allows you to see the tines the best…if I were doing over I’d get longer tines simply for the visibility when approaching a pallet.
I agree about the visibility and long forks. Get the 48” forks and better visibility frame. No doubt they both have the same adjustment capabilities.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My experience is get a bigger rack to protect your tractor. I have manual forks on my forklift and powered forks on my M59 which are the cat's meow.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I’d buy the ones on the right for a number of reasons:

lighter weight
Hitch connection
Spear attachment points
Quality, these are UA forks

these forks are more tractor based, the other forks on the left are more skid steer based. In reality both will work for you, they have similar features, it depends on your budget also.

I own two sets of these forks, 48” on MX5800 and 42” on L3901, they are excellent forks. I own a set of heavier forks for my track loader, I would never consider fitting them on my MX, they seem a little industrial in comparison to the UA forks.

prices have really risen in the last few years! Good luck making your selection, forks are the most useful attachment, your MX has good lift capacity, a very useful machine.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
curious...
My EA forks ARE FLUSH with the face of the headrack

could you please post a picture of this ? I looked at EA 42" pallet forks and didn't see what you mean. Dang hard to see black things againat other black things .
though as I'm typing this..do you mean that a tall load will rest against BOTH forks and rack flush ?

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
I would choose NEITHER of your options!

In both cases the fork thickness is not flush with the headrack.
In my opinion the face of the fork should be flush with the headrack.
This is important if you should pick up any top heavy item, as it will want to lean back, possibly being damaged.
My EA forks ARE FLUSH with the face of the headrack.
Very observant on the head rack being inset from the face of the forks.
I drove Hilo’s for 40 years working in a distribution center handling some very precarious loads. For my uses I’m not sure it would justify the extra $100 for the E.A. forks but it is something to consider.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Very observant on the head rack being inset from the face of the forks.
I drove Hilo’s for 40 years working in a distribution center handling some very precarious loads. For my uses I’m not sure it would justify the extra $100 for the E.A. forks but it is something to consider.
If you were to move an un-crated new refrigerator, or something of similar dimensions, tipping against an inset headrack could provide a nasty big dent.

Reactions: 1 user

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
If you were to move an un-crated new refrigerator, or something of similar dimensions, tipping against an inset headrack could provide a nasty big dent.
If I was moving something that tall and and worried about dents/scratches I would use a plastic pallet against the back of the forks straps and shipping blankets. Learned a lot of lessons in the warehouse over the years.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If I was moving something that tall and and worried about dents/scratches I would use a plastic pallet against the back of the forks straps and shipping blankets. Learned a lot of lessons in the warehouse over the years.
Easy way is to just use a movers blanket draped over the headrack, if face is smooth with the forks.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It appears the ones on the Left are set up for SSQA…and the ones on the Right are Pin-On…..?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You....obviously have beaucoup experience with forks.
Most do not!

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
I just purchased the set on the right for my B2601 ... these are painted, not power-coated and the paint is already cracking but other than that, these work fine ... I use the 36" version as I don't want to put holes in my garage wall when I'm placing my 3pt implements in their pallet rack 'crib' ...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: I use the 36" version as I don't want to put holes in my garage wall

Please do NOT look at my old shop wall...please.. !!!!:D

BTW painted stuff is a LOT easier to make new again than the 'less than stellar quality' powder coat 99.44% of stuff has today. I'd actually pay MORE for a painted version. Rhino liners aren't much better than PC 'paint' either.

• Haha