Pallet Attachment

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I have been wanting quick attach pallet forks for the FEL for a long time. Two months ago I picked up a Woods 4400 with 48” forks. I have an agreement with a local tree service where they call me when the are cutting red and white oak and hickory. they don’t do firewood and end up hauling it to the land fill and paying the fee to dump. That’s usually a 40 mile round trip for them so I save them money by taking the wood.

Anyway, they cut it in 10-16 foot lengths and load me up. I don‘t have a grapple so I needed something stout to handle the logs that are from 1 to three feet in diameter. I have taken 4 foot diameter logs before but even with my big splitter, they are hard to handle and I prefer not to split wood that size. Now, I hook up logger tongs to the pallet attachment and skid them off the trailer. Im able the get the 12-18 inch logs with just the forks. I wouldn’t do that with the large diameter logs because of the weight. That’s why I skid the off there’s rod the trailer.

Now I can stack the wood in my IBC frames and move it them the pallet forks Instead of loading in the FEL and moving to the storage racks and having to then stack the wood.

The pallet attachment is one of the most useful day to day attachments I have ever bought.

Reactions: 2 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I agree capt, pallet forks are handy for lots other than pallets!
I move 8’ logs with mine, and have a single arm grapple on my pallet fork frame to hold the wayward logs. As I grab logs from a big pile, I added a 3rd fork tine to make that task easier, as the 2 tines never seem to go under the same log a bit deeper into the pile.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I agree too. It’s hard to imagine living without them, mine typically stay on my MX 5800 about 90 % of the time, the other 10% is grapple time. When I’m concerned about the FEL capability I use a heavy set of forks on my Kubota track loader.

Loading and unloading trailers and pick up become so much easier with a set of forks.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
The pallet attachment is one of the most useful day to day attachments I have ever bought.
That's because you don't have a grapple. :ROFLMAO:

I have pallet forks, but I could not be without my grapple. :)

Reactions: 1 user

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I would love to have a grapple but can’t justify the cost for the things I do. Now that my land is pretty much cleared like I want it, I will have to just stick with this option. It’s a pain to get off and on the tractor to hook up a chain up or logging tongs but i usually get all my wood in two or three loads. The pallet attachment is a big help unloading logs but a bigger help in moving the split wood. Maybe one day, I will add a grapple to my arsenal. ;)

Last edited:

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I would love to have a grapple but can’t justify the cost for the things I do. Now that my land is pretty much cleared like I want it, I will have to just stick with this option. It’s a pain to get off and on the tractor to hook up a chain up or logging tongs but i usually get all my wood in two or three loads. The pallet attachment is a big help unloading logs but a bigger help in moving the split wood. Maybe one day, I will add a grapple to my arsenal. ;)
I understand and was just funning. I have quite a bit of vegetation, so I find my grapple very useful. It is quite an expense for a grapple for sure.

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
When I bought my property the “growth“ was over six feet with briars, small trees, broom sedge, etc. that’s when I really needed a grapple. I couldn’t even bush hog because the previous owner was a builder and loved to drop off construction debris all over the property. The grapple would have been a great asset. Now it’s cleared with Just a few pines and big oaks. The grapple would be nice for picking up limbs after storms roll through.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I was looking for an inexpensive grapple to use on my L3901 and came across MTL attachments, I just purchased a nice 60” unit with 2 separate top lids for less than $1,000 delivered, they offer a selection of designs in that price range. The one I selected is specifically not so deep or heavy as I just use it for grab, lift and load work.

I own a large 700lb grapple that I use on my track loader and MX, it is a great unit but totally overkill for most of the work I want to do. My L gets into tight spots to remove timber that I’ve cut into sections.

Not too expensive but so usefull and productive in my tree tidy up and firewood cutting tasks.

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have a grapple and forks. Both are very nice. If you made me pick just one, I would pick the grapple.

20210109_100536.jpg

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
I have a grapple and forks. Both are very nice. If you made me pick just one, I would pick the grapple.

View attachment 53293

Some day I will have one or even QA forks until then it is me my handy short chain a hammer and the ole clamp on finger busting forks:( lol but better than no forks at all

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Some day I will have one or even QA forks until then it is me my handy short chain a hammer and the ole clamp on finger busting forks:( lol but better than no forks at all
I started out with a set of Ken's Bolt on Hooks on my bucket.
Resized_20190704_122719.jpeg

When the funds became available, I installed the 3rd function valve and purchased the grapple. Until that time, I learned to make do with what I had, wasn't always the easiest or the best way to get it done, but I got it done.

You are making the best use of what you have and there is nothing wrong with that. I try to remember to be thankful for what I have, not what I want.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Bmyers I agree and I am very grateful for what I have. I do make do with what I have when I can. And nothing wrong with it not to proud to have used or repair worn out not replace. That's how we survive.