Opinions on value, Massey Ferguson 50A , backhoe, loader tractor

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Would anyone care to give me thoughts on what this Massey Ferguson might be worth retail, private party in todays current market climate?

I am not finding many past sales on Machinery Pete's site or otherwise. Pricing something like this is out of my wheelhouse but I am thinking about it for my land, light duty , occasional use.

What I know about the tractor,
50A tractor 68 gross HP Perkins diesel with 4 speed power shuttle transmission. I believe this tractor with backhoe and loader to weigh in at about 10,500 lbs. minus cab. Two wheel drive. Power steering.

Operating hours un-known

Condition of pivot pins in loader, backhoe un-known till a in-person inspection

MF-300 loader

Not sure of the backhoe model number. Possible 54 or 54S

Well maintained, inside storage , know the current owner well.

Two year old new batteries.

Probably tractor re-paint.

One leaking hyd hose which will be replaced by current owner.

All glass in place , none broken.

Very good rubber, with what we think is replacement rear rims.

No known issues other than leaking hydraulic hose. Functions as it should.

1000017064.jpeg
1000017079.jpeg
1000017065.jpeg
1000017078.jpeg

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Would anyone care to give me thoughts on what this Massey Ferguson might be worth retail, private party in todays current market climate?

I am not finding many past sales on Machinery Pete's site or otherwise. Pricing something like this is out of my wheelhouse but I am thinking about it for my land, light duty , occasional use.

What I know about the tractor,
50A tractor 68 gross HP Perkins diesel with 4 speed power shuttle transmission. I believe this tractor with backhoe and loader to weigh in at about 10,500 lbs. minus cab. Two wheel drive. Power steering.

Operating hours un-known

Condition of pivot pins in loader, backhoe un-known till a in-person inspection

MF-300 loader

Not sure of the backhoe model number. Possible 54 or 54S

Well maintained, inside storage , know the current owner well.

Two year old new batteries.

Probably tractor re-paint.

One leaking hyd hose which will be replaced by current owner.

All glass in place , none broken.

Very good rubber, with what we think is replacement rear rims.

No known issues other than leaking hydraulic hose. Functions as it should.

View attachment 109303 View attachment 109305 View attachment 109306 View attachment 109304
A very tough call, with no year or total time known.
Maybe $8-10K ????

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Your market in Wisconsin may be different. Here in NC, I’d agree with Mr. Fried: $8,000 to $10,000 if it’s ready to work.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Your market in Wisconsin may be different. Here in NC, I’d agree with Mr. Fried: $8,000 to $10,000 if it’s ready to work.
A very tough call, with no year or total time known.
Maybe $8-10K ????
Ken,
Check out: Machinerytrader.com
A few for comparison.
Pricing is all over the place!.
Most sales occurred in 2022.
Seems like my $8-$10K guess could be way too high.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ken,
Check out: Machinerytrader.com
A few for comparison.
Pricing is all over the place!.
Most sales occurred in 2022.
Seems like my $8-$10K guess could be way too high.
I found that out also , pricing is all over the map!

I believe I could add this machine to my tractor shed for about 5 to 6.5K .

In doing some research I discovered that the swing cylinder for the backhoe is a single rotary cylinder that is expensive to rebuild and apparently has a splined output shaft that wears and is not available and very expensive to have rebuilt?

The other thing I am not familiar with is the type of transmission this tractor uses. Some videos actually refer to this machine when it is optioned with a power shuttle transmission that is has a torque convertor? In the pictures I have, there is a forward and reverse pedal on the right hand floor board, and what looks like a clutch pedal on the left hand side. The owner says once a forward gear is selected and the throttle set, all she has to do is use the forward and reverse pedals and not use the clutch. What I do not see in the photo is brake pedals. The reason I ask about this is that I used hand controls and this appears to be older gear driven machine that I would be able to convert with hand controls without a ton of fabrication.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I found that out also , pricing is all over the map!

I believe I could add this machine to my tractor shed for about 5 to 6.5K .

In doing some research I discovered that the swing cylinder for the backhoe is a single rotary cylinder that is expensive to rebuild and apparently has a splined output shaft that wears and is not available and very expensive to have rebuilt?

The other thing I am not familiar with is the type of transmission this tractor uses. Some videos actually refer to this machine when it is optioned with a power shuttle transmission that is has a torque convertor? In the pictures I have, there is a forward and reverse pedal on the right hand floor board, and what looks like a clutch pedal on the left hand side. The owner says once a forward gear is selected and the throttle set, all she has to do is use the forward and reverse pedals and not use the clutch. What I do not see in the photo is brake pedals. The reason I ask about this is that I used hand controls and this appears to be older gear driven machine that I would be able to convert with hand controls without a ton of fabrication.
Sounds like you already do know a lot about this machine!
Even if it does fit your conversion requirements (I understand your need for hand controls), try to be ever aware that any of these old machines can quickly become a money pit.
Just ask me what I know about old Oliver ( OC-46G ) crawler loaders!

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Sounds like you already do know a lot about this machine!
Even if it does fit your conversion requirements (I understand your need for hand controls), try to be ever aware that any of these old machines can quickly become a money pit.
Just ask me what I know about old Oliver ( OC-46G ) crawler loaders!
I fully get what your saying about a potential money pit! I think if I was younger, and walking, it would be sitting in my tractor shed right now! The difference would be I would be able to put in the labor to keep it running.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Before I picked up my lx, I was constantly watching the local market for loader tractors until my wife convinced me to buy new. Exact model doesn't seem to matter much unless its a deere, then of course there's an upcharge...

But machines of that size and vintage seemed to range from 4-6k in good working order. Of course a particularly nice one could run considerably more and one needing a bunch of work would be less.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
$0.50/lb is all I'd be willing to pay. Unit looks in decent shape if stored indoors in it's retirement. Be prepared for bad rubber and seals everywhere etc and nowhere to get parts. I wouldn't touch it if I needed serious digging work and had a timeline for completion. If I was looking for a new hobby and a garden toy that looks like it would fit the bill.

CAT tends to be expensive but easier to get parts for than MF or CASE.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks to everyone that offered an opinion!
I suspect the 5K price if all pins are tight, the swing cylinder is tight and leak free and all functions work as they should is inline for a hobby , occasional dig would be inline.
If I pull the trigger I will update the thread.
Thanks again for your input!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
$0.50/lb is all I'd be willing to pay. Unit looks in decent shape if stored indoors in it's retirement. Be prepared for bad rubber and seals everywhere etc and nowhere to get parts. I wouldn't touch it if I needed serious digging work and had a timeline for completion. If I was looking for a new hobby and a garden toy that looks like it would fit the bill.

CAT tends to be expensive but easier to get parts for than MF or CASE.

Thanks to everyone that offered an opinion!
I suspect the 5K price if all pins are tight, the swing cylinder is tight and leak free and all functions work as they should is inline for a hobby , occasional dig would be inline.
If I pull the trigger I will update the thread.
Thanks again for your input!
I bought a then 16 year old Ford 3400 TLB (gas) in 1986, and kept it until 2019 when my Kubota L48 TLB assumed playtime duties.

I paid $10K for the Ford (cemetery machine) in 1986, and sold 33 years later for $9K,
with 2150 total time.
I did not need a newer machine, I just WANTED a newer machine.

The 49 year old (2 WD) Ford served me well for 500+ hrs., with no issues!
I miss her sometimes!
She did two unpermitted septic systems, and much personal landscaping.
YMMV.

Last edited: