Operator Deck Mat v Linex

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
This might be stupid, and if it is I trust someone will point that out, but having a shiny new (when I bought it) open station L4701 getting enough that the orange paint on the operator station deck is now down to the yellow primer and well on the way to bare metal bothers me. It stays in a climate controlled building behind a Farmall H when it isn’t working so I’m not as concerned about rust as I would be if it lived outside.

if I could find some decent custom fit floor mats, I’d probably touch up the paint and cover it with a mat, but haven’t found any. I could cut some out of something but I know what I’m good at and what I’m not good at. Pretty confident it would look like a middle school art project if I cut my own.

Then got to thinking about using some kind of DIY bed liner. Seems like Herculiner and Rustoleum come in kits sufficient for an 8’ pickup bed and aren’t exactly cheap partly because that’s way more product than needed. Not sure if they’d be durable enough to stand up to muddy work boots.

Next to last thought was to pull the floor plate and take it to the local Linex place and have them coat it. Being small that’s probably cheaper than DIY. Of course the step is getting similar wear so if I do something with the deck, would probably do the step to match.

Last thought was the Farmall also has a flat operator platform, it’s about 70 years old, it doesn’t have much paint left on the deck either, and I never cared about that so maybe I should just figure it’s a tractor and forget the whole thing.

Anyone have a source for custom fit floor mats for a L4701 HST or experience with some type of truck bedliner for the operator station deck?

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Here is a solution that worked for me on my L3800

1. Made a cardboard template of the floor board

2. Purchased this mat from Lowes

3. Placed the template on the out door mat so that the finished edge on the mat would run along the outer part of the floor board. Cut out both sides

4. Purchased elevator bolts from Lowes

5. Attached the bolts thru the existing holes in the factory floor board - approx 6 to each side.

Stays in place and easy to rinse off when dirty.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Here is a solution that worked for me on my L3800

1. Made a cardboard template of the floor board

2. Purchased this mat from Lowes

3. Placed the template on the out door mat so that the finished edge on the mat would run along the outer part of the floor board. Cut out both sides

4. Purchased elevator bolts from Lowes

5. Attached the bolts thru the existing holes in the factory floor board - approx 6 to each side.

Stays in place and easy to rinse off when dirty.
That’s cheap enough it’s probably worth trying.Thanks!

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I just got my operators platform back from the local Rhino Liner dealer. $103 out the door. $50 for the product, $50 for labor masking a few areas off, and $3 sales tax on the product.

It looks awesome and is very professional looking, and definitely non-skid. I'm not into ghetto solutions, and I knew what it would turn out like if I tried some DIY application...no regrets.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I just got my operators platform back from the local Rhino Liner dealer. $103 out the door. $50 for the product, $50 for labor masking a few areas off, and $3 sales tax on the product.

It looks awesome and is very professional looking, and definitely non-skid. I'm not into ghetto solutions, and I knew what it would turn out like if I tried some DIY application...no regrets.
Thank you!

If you have a pic or two, I’d love to see it.

When I hit a dead spot a little later in the year I’ll definitely look at taking the platform and step off to get them lined.

Rotesmachine

Equipment
Kubota l2501
Dec 4, 2020
Lanark Highlands
Get my new l2501 delivered next week. Had the dealer pull the plates ( just some simple linkage disassembly) and I took them to the local Line-X dealer and for $80 spray their Bedliner product on. It should provide protection for a couple years anyway.
IMG_20201204_130222.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Get my new l2501 delivered next week. Had the dealer pull the plates ( just some simple linkage disassembly) and I took them to the local Line-X dealer and for $80 spray their Bedliner product on. It should provide protection for a couple years anyway. View attachment 51603
Thank you! That looks exactly like what I want on mine. Looks great. If the floor plate isn’t a total PITA to pul on my L I hope to have it done during the off season this winter.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I like the bedliner/Linex solution. Rubber mats trap water and will rust-out your deck. I’d rather look at worn primer or bare metal than have the floor rust-out.

I had my pickup truck’s contractor-rack removed and took it to the local bedliner/Linex place (have no idea what proprietary product they use) and it turned out really well. I get stopped in parking lots all the time and asked where I bought it....and I explain it’s an off-the-shelf/mail-order rack I took to have treated. It resists all kinds of wear and is durable and attractive stilL.

(I installed the rack so we could carry a 16’ aluminum canoe on it while traveling pulling an Airstream trailer. Sliding that metal canoe on/off/on/off hasn’t hurt it a bit.)

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Some pics of my floor pan with the Rhino liner.
Thank you. I was hoping to see the contrast of the black on the floor before doing mine. Tinting it orange is a neat trick but I prefer the contrast of the black. Very nice upgrade.

I think Kubota should consider doing that from the factory and if not, their dealers should consider offering it as a dealer added option.

Pburchett

Equipment
MX5200HST
May 7, 2016
South Central KY
Try the Herculiner. A quart from Lowes will do it. I think it is about $25 a quart of $55 a gallon. Line-X wanted $350 if I brought my panels in to them. The photo was at 50 hours. I have 600 hours on it now and it looks the same. Our dirt here is mostly sand so it eats everything up fast and mud/sand has not hurt the liner at all.

Attachments

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Try the Herculiner. A quart from Lowes will do it. I think it is about $25 a quart of $55 a gallon. Line-X wanted $350 if I brought my panels in to them. The photo was at 50 hours. I have 600 hours on it now and it looks the same. Our dirt here is mostly sand so it eats everything up fast and mud/sand has not hurt the liner at all.
I was considering a DIY product but I was concerned that it would look like crap when I was finished. Yours looks pretty decent! Good job! How did you get the crisp edges on the fender, etc.?

DCM303

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4060HST LE
Dec 15, 2020
Missouri
I've used a couple gallons of the Herculiner from Lowes on other projects and it's all in the prep work. Getting the metal as clean as possible after scuffing it seems to make the difference.

Pburchett

Equipment
MX5200HST
May 7, 2016
South Central KY
I was considering a DIY product but I was concerned that it would look like crap when I was finished. Yours looks pretty decent! Good job! How did you get the crisp edges on the fender, etc.?

I used masking tape to get the clean edges. I pulled it off before it was completely dry. My boots were marking up the fenders of I put the herculiner on it also.