OOPS oil everywhear

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
Know what happens when you change an oil filter and do not notice the old gasket didn't come off with the filter. You start the engine and create the biggest mess possible. Oil hits the fan which covers you and everything else in the shop then proceeds to dump 3 quarts of oil on your shop floor before you can get it shut down. :mad:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Two things. First, it is terribly funny and secondly, I am sorry for your disaster.

Change oil enough times and I can assure you, errors happen.

As a youngster with long hair, I had just changed the oil in my car. I fired it up to check for leaks. As I bent over to look underneath, I dipped my long hair in the drain pan, realizing ir when I stood up with oil running down my head and all over my clothes.:p

Rebuilt an engine on a SuperMoto (a style of motorcycle, a sort of hybrid). Bike was spotless. Maiden ride. Seems the valve cover casket was not seated right. Oil all over my bike.:mad:

A few years back, dealer did an oil change on my truck (for $20, I'll let them do it-they have free donuts). a week later, I smell burned oil and see whiffs of smoke. Pop the hood, no fill cap! The oil monkey forgot to put it on.:eek:

I am sure there are plenty more episodes I've dealt with first hand. I'll skip the drips and splashes that seem to happen EVERY SINGLE time that make me feel like a dofus.

BobInOK

Jun 3, 2019
Catoosa, OK
In all my life I never had an oil filter that did not take the gasket with it when it was removed. This was my first experience with a Kubota filter and the thought of the gasket staying behind never crossed my mind. Now that the mess is mostly cleaned up it is kinda funny.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Reminded me of the Freightliner shop I retired from. One of the mechanics got sidetracked and forgot to tighten the drain plug on a 3406 Cat. The driver went down the road, lost his oil ad the shop had to buy him a new engine. The older Cats, in fact all the older engine didn't shut down if they lost oil pressure. They just puked.