On the fly shifting

OliG

May 6, 2021
Quebec, Canada
Hello,

I'm getting familiar with my new to me gear tractor, I just read the operator manual from cover to cover but I still got an question related to the gear shifting : Is it possible/good practice to shift on the fly like a car? If I want to lets say go to a higher speed, do I need to start and declutch in the highest gear from 0 mph? Didnt tried it yet... wanted to ask first :) My car stall right away if I do that...

Here are two parts from the manual that confuses me as they seems contradictory :

Controls - Hydraulic shuttle shift lever section says :
"Before shifting the main gear shift lever or the Hi-Lo range shift lever, fully disengage the clutch and completely stop the tractor"

Operating the tractor - starting section says :
"For road travel, start the tractor in a lower gear, and then change to a higher gear. It will prolong the clutch service life"

I would prefer not to have to choose between wearing the clutch or grinding transmission teeths if possible! :p

What is the best practice?

Thanks!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello,

I'm getting familiar with my new to me gear tractor, I just read the operator manual from cover to cover but I still got an question related to the gear shifting : Is it possible/good practice to shift on the fly like a car? If I want to lets say go to a higher speed, do I need to start and declutch in the highest gear from 0 mph? Didnt tried it yet... wanted to ask first :) My car stall right away if I do that...

Here are two parts from the manual that confuses me as they seems contradictory :

"Before shifting the main gear shift lever or the Hi-Lo range shift lever, fully disengage the clutch and completely stop the tractor"

"For road travel, start the tractor in a lower gear, and then change to a higher gear. It will prolong the clutch service life"

I would prefer not to have to choose between wearing the clutch or grinding transmission teeths if possible! :p

Thanks!
Transmissions that are synchronized may be shifted while moving (yes, you should use the clutch).

Transmissions that are not synchronized (and range shifters) should not be shifted while moving. (Yes, I know that an experienced operator can shift such transmissions without stopping in some circumstances, and I do so routinely.)

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I shift my BX in/out of 4wd on the fly. Stop for hi/low range shift. Driving old 50's to 70's era tractors you stop select gear and release clutch. High/road gear was an exception, too high for take off and an 'on the fly' shift always seemed to work (ex 4 to 5).

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
What tractor do you have? Some (shuttle shift) can change on the fly, others should not be shifted while moving. Without knowing what tractor no one will give you the proper answer.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
What tractor do you have? Some (shuttle shift) can change on the fly, others should not be shifted while moving. Without knowing what tractor no one will give you the proper answer.
^ This.

My M7060 can be shifted on the fly very easily (12 speed = 6 speeds in low range and 6 speeds in high range). Usually I'm in low range so shifting up and down through gears 1 thru 6 I never come to a halt, and the gears never grind. BUT I do have to come to a halt to shift from low range to high range.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My M7040 8 speed, while synchro, is far from a car type transmission for ease of shifting.

By the time I get into the next gear the tractor has almost stopped.

Dealer felt it would loosen up with use but that has not happened. I find it less frustrating to decide on a gear and start in that gear.

Dave

OliG

May 6, 2021
Quebec, Canada
Hello,

Sorry I forgot to mention the model, I have an older l5450, this is an 8 speed gear tractor with Hi-Lo + 4 speeds and hydraulic shuttle shift.

Thanks

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I believe you will find the shuttle only switches. between forward/reverse and that you may not shift “on the fly”.
My M4700DT (also an 8-speed like your L5450) claims to be capable of shift on-the-fly between 3rd and 4th gears only... presumeably because H4 is too high to start-out from a stop. In actual practice it doesn’t work well without grinding a bit. Double-clutching helps.... but it’s really only for travelling down the road.

Fastball

Equipment
L2900, rear blade, finish mower, 200l sprayer, landscape rake
Feb 9, 2017
North Okanagan, British Columbia
Hello,

Thanks!
Hello,

Sorry I forgot to mention the model, I have an older l5450, this is an 8 speed gear tractor with Hi-Lo + 4 speeds and hydraulic shuttle shift.

Thanks
Hello,

Hello,

Thanks!
My L2900 has a 8 gear “synchronized shuttle” transmission.
it must be stopped and with the clutch in to switch from high-low ranges.
I can shift between first and fourth using the clutch while the tractor is moving - like a car.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
My M7040 8 speed, while synchro, is far from a car type transmission for ease of shifting.

By the time I get into the next gear the tractor has almost stopped.

Dealer felt it would loosen up with use but that has not happened. I find it less frustrating to decide on a gear and start in that gear.

Dave
Dave
My '11 M7040 shifts fine while moving between 1 through 4 gears by depressing clutch pedal but shifting between High/low range requires a complete stop of tractor motion.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
With many manual transmissions you can easily shift to a higher gear, especially if you are coasting, but not to a lower gear.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Dave
My '11 M7040 shifts fine while moving between 1 through 4 gears by depressing clutch pedal but shifting between High/low range requires a complete stop of tractor motion.
Same with my 7060, I can drive it just like my manual car/truck. There’s no way I could start off in 4-6th with a loaded trailer to go up the road. I downshift just fine too, just like my Tacoma. Hardly have to touch the brakes.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The BEST thing to do in this regard is to read your Owners Manual. The Section “Operating the Tractor” in the M4700/M5040 Gear Drive states:
FF1A4A2E-751F-4355-8737-2961ED56B1B3.png