Older models

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
So, I'm wondering if there is a site that compares older, discontinued models to the newer ones or shows the replacement models and upgrades? Specifically, I'm curious about the B20, and what it's current replacement is.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Bruin4

Jan 14, 2014
Warren, CT USA
I have test driven and looked at a few older B20's, B21's an L35 and an L 48.

The B20/21 are just too small for my needs, tough little units and in no way can be compared to the new BX line. Both are 4WD with the hydrostatic transmission. The hydro transmission is simple and smooth to operate.

L35 is a different machine, same idea - a tough little tractor - but with a GST transmission. I suggest that you test drive both before making a decision, but hands down the L35 is what I want. L48 same idea only its a big machine, could probably handle about any task. The B20/21 and the L35 came with a three point hitch frame, I'm not sure about the L48 so ask if they are selling it with the 3 point.

Both the B21 and the L35 have a long history as rental units, in fact a few rental places still keep them in their fleet and my local Orange dealer has one L35 that they say they are keeping forever just to plow the snow on their lot.

The problem with the L35 is the pricing, a low hour machine can run anywhere from 20k to 26K, when you consider that you can get 0% financing if you buy a new (bare bones L39) unit for around 44K then that may be a game changer. Still a low hour L35 for 20-25k may just be a bargain.

I dont think you can go wrong with an older industrial unit like the L35 or the L48 - especially if its a low hour machine that you get checked out. ( b20/21 is a nice unit too, just different and way more sturdy that its new counterpart) It's likely that it wont have any bells and whistles, ( You will be lucky to find one with a cutting edge on the front bucket and work lights on the canopy) no aux. hydraulics etc. but these things were made to work, really go find one for sale and give it a test run or find one and rent it for a day or two.

Last edited: