Old McGee 320 snow blower rebuild (Kubota L32)

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
So after some zip discing and cutting torch love,I got it apart,soaking all the parts with penetrating oil all summer did not help,as I cut stuff open you could see were the fluid had gotten under every thing,it was just to far gone,it took 18 tons just to press out the main shaft from the blower,
Assembly starts later this week.

Attachments

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
So after some zip discing and cutting torch love,I got it apart,soaking all the parts with penetrating oil all summer did not help,as I cut stuff open you could see were the fluid had gotten under every thing,it was just to far gone,it took 18 tons just to press out the main shaft from the blower,
Guessing you got the implement for a song.

Sounds like it was a chore, but that piece looks to be quality enough for the attempt, with the tools to do so.

I think your efforts are going to be in your favor when finished. That's a BEEFY unit.

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
Guessing you got the implement for a song.

Sounds like it was a chore, but that piece looks to be quality enough for the attempt, with the tools to do so.

I think your efforts are going to be in your favor when finished. That's a BEEFY unit.
When I'm done parts included about $1600 CDN/$1170 US

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Yup,thanks,it is a rear mount,Buddy picked one up a used one for his BX23S for $2200 CDN,have yet to see it.
Being a rear-mount is ass backwards (no pun intended) in design, but given the times and use....it is what it was.

Tractors these days (along with useability) open up application and use. Given that, have you considered making it a front mount, or is that more of a feat than envisioned?

Disregard my last, I just noticed you have one of the Vintage tractors. You're doing an excellent restoration for your era of machine. 👍

Last edited:

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Good job , anything that ya can do to cut down on our steel headin to China so we can buy it back is a win in my book !
animals45

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
Being a rear-mount is ass backwards (no pun intended) in design, but given the times and use....it is what it was.

Tractors these days (along with useability) open up application and use. Given that, have you considered making it a front mount, or is that more of a feat than envisioned?
I only use it once or twice a year for wet heavy snow,its PTO driven and my compact has no forward PTO,have toyed of putting a pump on the front crank shaft and converting it,its splined ,I mostley use the quad with a six foot blade,its just faster.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I only use it once or twice a year for wet heavy snow,its PTO driven and my compact has no forward PTO,have toyed of putting a pump on the front crank shaft and converting it,its splined ,I mostley use the quad with a six foot blade,its just faster.
Another "project" to master.

I enjoy the vintage tools of times passed. Before Kubota was in my shop, I had five vintage JD Garden Tractors and LOTS of attachments taking up space. I really enjoyed having them, but my having to move them almost every time I needed to work on something, got to be too much. I sold them all, regretfully, because they were special to me.

All the vintage era is in my blood, I just don't have the space for them.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thunder Fish,, you either have a built Cuda,, or a submariner ,, OH and you are gona have a beast of a blower when you get done,, good job

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
"soaking all the parts with penetrating oil all summer did not help"
Another time, maybe buy a gallon of "Kroil" ( Expensive! )
Those here who have used it will agree,......It is magical stuff!

Some say, that you can make a cost effective Kroil equivalent, with equal parts of transmission fluid, and Acetone.

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
"soaking all the parts with penetrating oil all summer did not help"
Another time, maybe buy a gallon of "Kroil" ( Expensive! )
Those here who have used it will agree,......It is magical stuff!

Some say, that you can make a cost effective Kroil equivalent, with equal parts of transmission fluid, and Acetone.
I did use the trans/acetone solution and followed up with some Seafoam penetrating fluid for around 6 months almost weekly,as I said every thing was wet on the shafts,it took 18 tons on a press to push the shaft off of the blower and both sides were moist from oil's also,I guess 43 years of unknown history ??

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
Thunder Fish,, you either have a built Cuda,, or a submariner ,, OH and you are gona have a beast of a blower when you get done,, good job
I never really liked the blower until my retired farmer neighbor advised me to run it at a higher gear,so now from 540 to 720 rpm,world of difference.