Oil Pressure Problem L4240

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
I posted this on TractorByNet as well as here, as I have gotten lots of help in the past from that forum also.

I was out working with my 2012 L4240 today when I noticed the oil pressure lamp was on. I immediately stopped the tractor. Oil level is fine. Oil is nice and clean. The tractor has 112 hours on it. I changed oil and filters at 50 hours, just recently pulled 100 hour maintenance. I let the tractor rest while I had lunch and read the manual. Found location of pressure switch, checked to make sure wires were not loose. Restarted tractor, oil pressure went out briefly, then came on again. Oil light stays on at both idle and 2000 rpm. Water temperature is fine. I’d like your advice before I spend the big bucks to have it brought to the dealer.

First thought is that the sending switch has malfunctioned. Is this a common problem with the L4240 series or similar models? Has anyone put an oil pressure gauge on this model tractor? I’d like to do that anyway, as I am not fond of idiot lights.

Thanks for your help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First and foremost get a manual pressure gauge and test it.
You'll need a gauge that has a BSTP (British Standard Tread Pipe).

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
My tractor is still under warranty. Yesterday, I drove to the dealer and purchased a new oil pressure sending switch. (The last one they had in stock.) This morning, I installed it. It was a ten minute job. Problem solved: It was a sending switch that had gone bad. Dealer says to return old switch, for refund. Thanks for the comments. I plan to install a pressure gauge, as well.