Oil on dipstick clean/clear but not what comes out

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
So I had made a comment a while back at how clean the oil in my engine looked when I pull the dipstick. Well, I think I had about 60 hours (give or take a little) so decided an oil and filter change was in order. Got the Mityvac out and noticed what was coming up through the tube was pretty black. Not at all representative of what showed on the stick. SMH, weird thing to me.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If you checked it just after adding oil the clean oil could have been sitting on top of the old oil.

OR, maybe you were just drunk? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The engine oil in my Tier 4 L goes from relatively clear to black pretty quickly, but what comes out when I pull the drain plugs is the same color as what’s on the dipstick regardless what color that is; same as any other internal combustion engine I’ve ever dealt with. Clear on the dipstick and different color coming out of the sump… that’s pretty hard to figure being the dipstick projects into the sump. If someone has a good explanation for that I’d sure like to hear it.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It's just a thin coat on the dipstick and against the shiny dipstick looks clearer.

Reactions: 8 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
You're not checking the hydraulic fluid are you? (sorry, someone was thinking it and I got voted to type it)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I bought my first diesel pickup in 1995 and I had to get used to the oil turning black immediately after an oil change unlike my gas powered vehicles. It will look pretty clean on the dipstick, as explained by Magicman, but as soon as it starts circulating through the engine it is no longer going to look clean.

Rodger

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Yeah it wasn't due to adding. I've never had to add any. It doesn't leak or burn any. In any case it has a fresh fill. So next week it'll be off to Cherry Valley Bobcat for some more filters. And I think I will pick up some actual Kubota coolant. Last year when I did it I used a fresh NOS jug I found in my back garage of Mopar concentrate coolant. (Said long life on jug but not rated for truly long life like the newer stuff out now). I just figgered I'd use it since I needed to flush out the system. Maybe I'll do a new air filter as well since I did that last year and being gray it's hard to tell if it's dirt or not. Think I will ask dealer about that restriction gauge.