Oil LEVEL

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Have a LX 2610 Dipstick has 2 holes in it like many cars and trucks. Does not have the rough hash marks like it shows in the owners manual. Oil is up right above the first hole. Many vehicles like Ford v-8's say the oil must be above the 2'd hole. Do you think it is low oil in my tractor?

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
The oil range is any where between the two holes on the dipstick as long as its above the lowest hole on the dipstick you're good.

From what you describe your oil level is above the lowest hole on the dip stick so its good but if it was my tractor i would want the oil level at neer or at the top hole.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
On my M5660 the two holes are about 4" apart. On my first oil change I added the recommended amount of oil (8qt I believe) and engraved my own "full" mark.

Reactions: 1 users

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
On my M5660 the two holes are about 4" apart. On my first oil change I added the recommended amount of oil (8qt I believe) and engraved my own "full" mark.
Given the complaints about Kubota manuals recommending erroneous quantities, I'd use the dipstick marks. Unless you thought the dipstick was the wrong one, in which case it should be checked or replaced.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Given the complaints about Kubota manuals recommending erroneous quantities, I'd use the dipstick marks. Unless you thought the dipstick was the wrong one, in which case it should be checked or replaced.
YEP….. ran into this on my first oil change on my RTV. The qty specified in the manual did not meet the level specified on the dipstick. I first suspected the incorrect dipstick was installed so called the dealer and gave them the PN engraved on the dipstick. They checked two machines on the show-room floor and confirmed the same dipstick by PN was installed.
It. became obvious that the amount specified in the manual did not agree with the indications on the dipstick.

The problem is: Which is correct? (Don’t automatically believe the dipstick simply because it’s what is installed…as the dipstick-length/markings do not guarantee the level is best for the engine. Too much oil creates foam and improper lubrications…too little results in high oil temps and insufficient cooling.) It’s also possible that not all the old oil left the engine. (Some may be trapped.…in which case installing the full quantity specified over-services the engine …. according to the dipstick.)

This last is what I believe occurred. So I follow the dipstick…which means a full quart less than what is specified. (unlikely to cause problem)

BIGO

Equipment
M5660suhd X1140 RVT
Sep 13, 2018
Fl

On my 5660 the dipstick doesnt have holes , but it does have 2 lines, a lower and an upper, and they are spread way apart like you stated. I put in the recommended amount from the manual and it puts me in the " no mans land" between the hash marks.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
The oil range is any where between the two holes on the dipstick as long as its above the lowest hole on the dipstick you're good.

From what you describe your oil level is above the lowest hole on the dip stick so its good but if it was my tractor i would want the oil level at neer or at the top hole.
Thanks, that is what I was thinking.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
YEP….. ran into this on my first oil change on my RTV. The qty specified in the manual did not meet the level specified on the dipstick. I first suspected the incorrect dipstick was installed so called the dealer and gave them the PN engraved on the dipstick. They checked two machines on the show-room floor and confirmed the same dipstick by PN was installed.
It. became obvious that the amount specified in the manual did not agree with the indications on the dipstick.

The problem is: Which is correct? (Don’t automatically believe the dipstick simply because it’s what is installed…as the dipstick-length/markings do not guarantee the level is best for the engine. Too much oil creates foam and improper lubrications…too little results in high oil temps and insufficient cooling.) It’s also possible that not all the old oil left the engine. (Some may be trapped.…in which case installing the full quantity specified over-services the engine …. according to the dipstick.)

This last is what I believe occurred. So I follow the dipstick…which means a full quart less than what is specified. (unlikely to cause problem)
Wow... not good!

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
On my 5660 the dipstick doesnt have holes , but it does have 2 lines, a lower and an upper, and they are spread way apart like you stated. I put in the recommended amount from the manual and it puts me in the " no mans land" between the hash marks.
YEs, I have never changed my oil yet at around 90 hours. So it will be interesting when I do. The oil is still very clear.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
YEs, I have never changed my oil yet at around 90 hours. So it will be interesting when I do. The oil is still very clear.
I'm surprised your oil is clear after 90 hours! On both my tractors the engine oil is black soon after oil changes...we are talking about engine oil, right?

Reactions: 2 users

Gordon Rob

Equipment
MX-5400
Apr 2, 2022
North Branch MI
Gordon Rob here—-It seems obvious that the far-apart lines on Kubota dipsticks do not tell us how close to either full or empty our oil is. I suppose if this doesn’t bother a user, than it’s okay but personally I want to know where my recommended full quantity is on the dipstick on my new MX-5400, so when I first fill it with the recommended amount of oil, I’m going to drill a very tiny hole at the top of the oil on the stick. I recently read about how much easier it is to read the oil levels with the tiny hole, which “attaches” oil, rather than trying to read from the little line on the stick.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Gordon Rob here ... when I first fill it with the recommended amount of oil, I’m going to drill a very tiny hole at the top of the oil on the stick. ...
Hi Gordon, welcome to the forum!
I think you are missing the point: the recommended quantities in the manuals are not necessarily correct. Many posters have commented on this. The proof in my case is the the operator's manual specifies significantly different quantities than the workshop manual for a couple of compartments. Both manuals are genuine Kubota. So they both can't be right. (In fact, both could be wrong :mad: ) As other posters have said, best to use the physical marker (dipstick level, or the oil level plug on other compartments). If you are concerned that the dipstick mark is wrong one for your engine (IMHO that is less likely than the recommended quantity being wrong) then compare it with others with the same engine.
I hope this helps.