Oil leaking from exhaust !?!?!?

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I have a L2000 (L225). I've been using the tractor pretty good the past few nights to fix some issues with my road and cut ditches. I noticed tonight that some oil dripping from the exhaust elbow that connects the headder to the muffler. I notice a handful of drips on the side of the tractor that came from this spot.

Is this normal? The tractor has 1500 hrs on it and runs wEll. It could use a valve adjust; but that's it. And I don't notice it using oil on the dipstick

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Is it engine lube oil or diesel fuel?

If it is engine oil you could have a broken or stuck oil ring in one of the cylinders. Seems you'd also have smoke if this was the case, and the crankcase level should go down.

If it's really cooked diesel fuel, it could be an injector. If it's unburned diesel, it could also be getting into the crankcase and level might go up.

I rarely see it discussed but there are some very economical oil analysis services that can tell you quite a lot about what's going on with your engine before you dive in with expensive repairs.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/diesel-engine.php

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Was it doing a lot of idling? Often with bad injectors an engine that is idling will barf out oily looking goo from the exhaust, but usually it is unburnt fuel.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Thanks all. I hadn't considered unburnt fuel. It Sure looks like oil to me and is about the same when I got it on my hands.

I was doing more mid rpm work ~2000 rpm and loading it up pretty good cutting some ditches and grading gravel.

I managed to snap off the exhaust today on a low hanging vine... I know I'm a mess... With open exhaust I really didn't notice any oil spit.

I'll try some seafoam and report back

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Thanks all. I hadn't considered unburnt fuel. It Sure looks like oil to me and is about the same when I got it on my hands.

I was doing more mid rpm work ~2000 rpm and loading it up pretty good cutting some ditches and grading gravel.

I managed to snap off the exhaust today on a low hanging vine... I know I'm a mess... With open exhaust I really didn't notice any oil spit.

I'll try some seafoam and report back
The goo you get from the exhaust is just like oil. Diesel mixed with soot and you get a black muck that is like paint to get off your hands.

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I sure was bummed out before your replies. I put a full can of seafoam in to 3/4 tank of fuel. That should clean up the injectors.

I'm going to try to fab up an exhaust from an autozone glass pack muffler tonight! Things are looking up for my orange buddy