Odd thought, can I change the ignition switch?

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
As an added security measure, since I will bet the ignition key is less than unique, can it be replaced with one from an automobile/truck?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Your suspicion is correct - 5 or 6 keys will fit every recent Kubota. And Kubota isn't unique.
However, a generic auto switch very likely won't work correctly. You'd probably be better off hiding a security switch.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Yes, you can replace the ignition switch with an automotive ignition switch. How difficult to make this happen is a function of the age and complexity of the tractor - the functions of your ignition switch. An automotive switch will not have a glow plug function. When I replaced the switch in my Mitsubishi I had to add a push button switch for the glow plugs.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
I had a friend that put a stereo plug/socket inline with the fuel pump on a diesel truck. Took the plug (male) fitting, and shorted the contacts inside. Fuel pump power (or any other critical starting electronics) was routed thru the socket (female) fitting that was mounted on the dash in a logical place next to the stereo. To the unsuspecting thief, it (the socket) looked like a headphone jack. Truck wouldn't start unless the shorted male plug was inserted. Then power flowed to the fuel pump, and all was well.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If somebody is intent on stealing your machine changing the keys won't do anything to stop them. If they came prepared with master keys they will also have a flatbed and winch for when the tractor doesn't start.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
keep it muddy and add a note to the dash ' tranny busted' or similar ( big buck repair ). good thievs won't bother with your, just go down the road for the next one....

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I had a friend that put a stereo plug/socket inline with the fuel pump on a diesel truck. Took the plug (male) fitting, and shorted the contacts inside. Fuel pump power (or any other critical starting electronics) was routed thru the socket (female) fitting that was mounted on the dash in a logical place next to the stereo. To the unsuspecting thief, it (the socket) looked like a headphone jack. Truck wouldn't start unless the shorted male plug was inserted. Then power flowed to the fuel pump, and all was well.
That sounds like a disable device I used to have in my car in the mid 80's.
You did not need to keep it in the socket, just a momentary insert bypassed the lockout.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
As Rw says ,no 'glowplug' position but..... just wire that into the ACC terminal. key in, turn left, gloplugs warm up then fully right to start. The 'trick' is to be SURE to remove key in OFF position, do NOT turn fully left and leave......
I have several machines here and all have the same after market ignition switch in them, all 'keyed alike'. simple really, looked at the number stamped on the keys and bought ones with same number. Picked up another 2 months ago, same number, same key.... I have LOTS of spare keys now....

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
As Rw says ,no 'glowplug' position but..... just wire that into the ACC terminal. key in, turn left, gloplugs warm up then fully right to start. The 'trick' is to be SURE to remove key in OFF position, do NOT turn fully left and leave......
I have several machines here and all have the same after market ignition switch in them, all 'keyed alike'. simple really, looked at the number stamped on the keys and bought ones with same number. Picked up another 2 months ago, same number, same key.... I have LOTS of spare keys now....
Fully left would keep power on and drain the battery?

LwhiteAH64

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525, LP RCF2060, LP BB1260, Yanmar 220 Diesel w/KK 60 Rotary Cutter
Jul 16, 2018
Dade City, Fl
Not sure how many wires you have hooking up to the back of your ignition, but here is a switch with Glow plug position from Hoyte Tractors, and a wiring diagram for it also. Part number is HIS-52110. $38.75. Hope this helps. I am not affiliated with Hoyte in any way. I happen to own a Yanmar (Dads) besides my Kubota

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: Fully left would keep power on and drain the battery?

yes, but as wirerd , it'd ONLY be used for 'heat glowplugs' , not used as typical ACC stuff.

BTW my BX23S doesn't have an ACC position