NuBe here!!!

CanKub

Nov 15, 2015
St. Thomas not BVI.
Hi: All... I have a purchased new in 2010, '09 T1880 w/ a Kohler 18Hp. Seems it likes to backfire when I shut it down after cutting my 1/2- 3/4 acres of grass. I use reg. gas so up to 10% Ethanol. Question is does it hurt the tiny tractor?
CanKub N.S. of Lake Erie

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
My guess would be that you have what is called "Afterfire" from shutting off the engine while its hot and running at a too high a speed. Ethanol in the fuel contributes to this problem.

Are you letting the engine idle for a couple of seconds before shutting it off? Does the idle speed seem to be fast?

Some engines have an Anti-Afterfire solenoid - if yours does, it could be malfunctioning. See http://www.small-engines.com/afterfire

However it shouldn't hurt anything but your ears.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Install an in fuel line shutoff, and turn the valve off prior to shut down. This will accomplish 2 things, no departing fart, and no fuel in the carb, to eat away at the rubber parts (damned ethanol!). :D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Idle last couple minutes before parking. The anti whatchamacallit is a little electric solenoid on bottom of carb. It also holds bowl on.
Usually they fail in the closed position,having a spring inside to close it.

CanKub

Nov 15, 2015
St. Thomas not BVI.
Hi: All... Thanks for the tips. I try to bring her in at idle, but it still backfires/after fires. The service mgr. at the dealer said to push the throttle up when shutting her down but it still does it sometimes. Hard on the ears!!!
CanKub N.S. of Lake Erie

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
We run multiple Kohler and B&S gas engines up to about 30-hp on all kinds of equipment.

Highly recommend installing a fuel cutoff valve in your fuel line near the carb. Run every engine 'dry' at every shutdown.

To shutdown just run at rated RPMs, close valve, run dry. Turn off key.

This prevents ethanol-laced gasoline from sitting in the carb (1) slowly destroying gaskets and (2) deposition of varnish clogging needle / seat / float (note some maybe most engines use plastic floats subject to ethanol degradation.

Might consider using highest grade gasoline, said to have zero ethanol. Cheap insurance. Always use fuel admixture like Sta-Bil or similar---especially with low-grade gas having ethanol. Especially in saws, weed munchers, any 2-cycle.

Caution when transporting (valuable but expensive lesson learned): fuel shutoff valve lets engine run dry after loading in truck / trailer. Going down road bouncing CAN / MAY allow fuel to get past bouncing needle / seat as float bounces and flood crankcase with fuel IF NOT RUN DRY BEFORE HAULING. Creates a bit of a problem when cranked with crankcase overflowing with gas-cut oil.

I've been told by different dealers of different brands that the electrically operated spring-loaded anti-thingy screwed into the bottom of the carb is there ONLY to prevent fuel leaking from carb, creating a puddle, causing or contributing to a fire--nothing to do with anti-backfire or anti-dieseling of gas engine. For what it's worth. Replaced a couple of those painted green until got tired of failures and plugged hole.

Sidenote: because of what I otherwise do I had access to equipment to check presence of ethanol in gasoline. Did so after seeing truck mistakenly (?) dump wrong grade fuel into labeled tank. Got me to thinking. After finding ethanol in more expensive "non-ethanol" gas I transitioned to field testing before purchase by setting up micro-lab on tailgate. Made me extremely unpopular in small town as would usually draw a crowd of curious good 'ol boys. Owner comes out, says can't do that. Why not, paid for the gas. I'm not attuned to YouTube and one day a younger coworker tells me to watch a video of a guy testing gasoline. Damn, missed my opportunity for fame and fortune. All I got was a state investigation. And a cut of some of the fines.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Buddy of mine used to be a tanker driver. He said that all gas, even that which is labelled ethanol free, contains 5-7% ethanol, due to line contamination. I don't know if that figure holds true nationwide, but it does around here. I run chainsaws on coleman camping fuel(naptha). It's cheaper than replacing carbs, every year, even at $13.00/gal.:D:D

CanKub

Nov 15, 2015
St. Thomas not BVI.
Buddy of mine used to be a tanker driver. He said that all gas, even that which is labelled ethanol free, contains 5-7% ethanol, due to line contamination. I don't know if that figure holds true nationwide, but it does around here. I run chainsaws on coleman camping fuel(naptha). It's cheaper than replacing carbs, every year, even at $13.00/gal.:D:D
Hi: Diydave... I don't have a chainsaw... but I do have a neighbour who likes to play with his own!!! The only corn alcohol I like is 94 proof Makers 46!!!:D
CanKub N.S. of Lake Erie