Not Available in Nebraska

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I was playing around with the "build it" function for an MX tractor on the Kubota website and when I printed the configuration, it had "Not Available in Nebraska" at the top. So are all Kubota tractors not available in Nebraska or just the MX lines and why is that? It doesn't affect me, but just curious.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It clashes with the state color of JD green! :p

Seriously this is the first time I've heard such a thing. :confused:

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I emailed Kubota and asked the question, but never received a response, so I emailed a Kubota dealer in Nebraska. Here is the response:

"All of Kubota's tractors are available in Nebraska. That program was written before the law changed 4 years ago. The law now allows all tractors under 100 PTO horsepower to be sold, but they are subject to sales tax unless they have been tested by the Nebraska test lab. Nobody tests tractors this small anymore
We carry and sell the complete lineup of MX tractors."

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
What do they test for? Sounds like how MA has to test handguns before they can be sold, it's for the children.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They have been testing tractors in Nebraska for years, like before the dawn of time.
It was done to keep tractor manufactures honest, and not allow them to inflate the HP and PTO HP ratings of there tractors for an unfair sales advantage.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
At one time, all make and model of tractors sold in Nebraska had to be subjected to the University of Nebraska's Tractor Test Laboratory (NTTL). Kind of like Consumer Reports does today for automobiles to help you make an informed decision. Evidently, the Kubota MX series was never tested and therefore never allowed to be sold in Nebraska. As the dealer said, that law was changed which now allows all makes and models of tractors to be sold in Nebraska. But it is interesting you do not pay sales tax if the tractor was tested by the NTTL.

http://tractortestlab.unl.edu/